• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A modest guideline suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Spinak

pro member
I suggest a guideline for people not to include a list of all of their equipment at the bottom of their posts. I have seen people on some forums do this, and while I appreciate that it can sometimes convey pertinent information, it tends also to have the effect of severely hampering the search function's utility.

As an alternative, perhaps there can be a field in the profiles for people to list their equipment, if they'd like.

Thank you for listening.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Stan Jirman

Mike Spinak said:
As an alternative, perhaps there can be a field in the profiles for people to list their equipment, if they'd like.

... which is the way it's handled on DPR, for instance :)

Along with a "my threads" feature, one of the few things good about dpr...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I agree! However, it is important to post equipment, at least from my perspective, so I can judge our audience and whether or not we are serving ourselves well.

If I see no Nikon users or no Aptus backs, I ask why?

Also, it is pretty strange to have someone who has a studio going 6 days a week to have a first time digicam owner advising on write speed.

So it is IMHO useful. However, who needs to see it every time. That is a pain and it could perhaps inspire "me-too lens" hoarders in place of actual photgraphers.

We'll look at this. Remember, after june 7th, when this room closes, one could still bring up a question by the Contact form from the front page, or where relevant in a specific forum or if it seems appropriate in the Layback cafe.

If questions come up that deserve debate, I assure you, we'll get opinions. We just want to move people very gently to the other rooms.

Also, I''m traveling to Europe to meet photographers and photograph and so i will give myself a small respite!

If there is obvious need, we'll reopen this feedback room.

We already have a ton of mods to implement! Nicolas and I will be meeting in Bordeaux. He promises me access to the 2003 red wines which have been recognised as being beyond exceptional.

Asher

P.S. Meanwhile, anyone who uses an alias or "Handle" must be registered with real name , First and Last. PM Michael Tapes who will graciously bring you screen name to compliance. You can then add your alias to your signature!

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
I like to know what people are shooting with, and any other relevant equipment. But there are 2 issues in my mind.

1 - The valid point that it screws up the search capability.

2 - When the list gets to include every piece of equipment I ignore it. For me the camera says most of it.

Item 1 above precludes the use of camera models in the signature. But what I suggest, and have now changed my sig to reflect, is how to list the cameras and not affect the search.

Ray West

Should it not be on a need to know basis - if someone is asking how to improve a photo, something along the lines of 'I took this with my 5d and an xyz lens, its a bit blurry' then even if there is a list of equipment, you don't know if the op used a tripod, or the speed, whatever?

My personal view, is that it can turn into a bit of a 'p*ss*ing contest.

So far, I think this forum will be great, unless 'rules' are applied too rigorously, I much prefer the concept of letting folk know what I think they need to know, a sort of personal letter, instead of junk mail, sort of thing.

unity in diversity....

D

Doug Kerr

And anyway I would never know whether to include my little TV monitor and the motorcycle batteries I use to run my Vivitar 285HV's in the studio.

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Also, it is pretty strange to [have] someone who has a studio going 6 days a week to have a first time digicam owner advising on write speed.

I think Will Thompson is a first time digicam owner.

(Note that I hate the term "digicam", but that's for another time.)

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug Kerr said:
And anyway I would never know whether to include my little TV monitor and the motorcycle batteries I use to run my Vivitar 285HV's in the studio.

Best regards,

Doug
Of course, Doug!

Keep promising to get one myself with high resolution, 7 inch is possible. Will might
want to include that in a list he is making for us of mods and gadgets!

Asher

Asher Kelman

raymw said:
Should it not be on a need to know basis - ............... I much prefer the concept of letting folk know what I think they need to know, a sort of personal letter, instead of junk mail, sort of thing.

unity in diversity....

Ray,

Welcome.

Of course! I prefer the minimum of rules.

I just am responding to the general annoyance caused by lists of every lens and adapter people have, seen in every post.

Yet knowing that they have a 16x9 Digicam or a Digital Rangefinder allows me to ask them details that might be useful in articles or supporting the forum.

It also validates and/or clarifies questions and responses for everyone.

Anyway, what people discloses is up to them. If one prefers not to, that's really fine. It all levels out in the end!

I prefer to see these things in the profile and that it require login.

Asher

Remember, Michael is waiting to get your full name corrected. PM him when you can.

Asher Kelman

Doug Kerr said:
Hi, Asher,

I think Will Thompson is a first time digicam owner.

(Note that I hate the term "digicam", but that's for another time.)

Best regards,

Doug

He is also BTW, pretty expert on every Canon DSLR too. Further his lens knowledge is extensive.

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.