• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray West

Like many others, I find much of this site difficult to read, There is probably a whole science devoted to this sort of thing, but going back some years it was that yellow text on black background was highest contrast, always clearest, but green was more restful. Now, the fm site has a dark background, and virtually the same orange/brown colour as used here, and is easy to read, even allowing for familiarity. The default font here is rather compressed, too. Font design a separate science....

A few years ago, when I was selling web space, an isp sent me a number of brochures, cd's etc, all a bit 'arty-farty', large background images of coffee cups, etc. But this was also on the technical settings page - it was impossible to read the text which was overprinted in a lighter brown.

I would respectfully suggest, that if you want this site to be the very best there is, that a study is made of the issues involved, bearing in mind the average age of the forum members, and the fact that many of us spend much of our time in front of vdu screens (the worse thing for eyes, next to flourescent lighting) and peering through tiny slr viewfinders.

It seems to be a trend in web site design - that is an oxymoron - to try and impress with how clever the designer is, instead of presenting the content accurately and in an easily 'getatable' format.

What I am trying to say, is get back to basics, what is the whole object of the exercise, and do that the very best you can.

I realise that much of this is embedded in the software of the 'forum software package' that is used, but a simple example - this edit box size seems to be fixed - it takes up about a tenth of my screen area. There is a load of fancy stuff re php tags, whatever, but apparently no way to increase the size of the text or the text box to save scrolling up and down. I think the fundamental objective of a text entry box is to be able to easily enter text, and edit it, but I could be wrong....

Best wishes,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Ray
Please accept -and do not be offended by- the following.

I suppose Ray is you first name as, you may read Asher Kelman Michael Tapes call to use here your REAL first name and name. Please PM Michael with accurate infos and he will change this for you.

The background and text colors have already been discussed. And the thread has been closed...
Colors are a matter of taste, we have no clue about the average age of members.

However, listening comments of some (not many) members, I have created a style that may fit your needs, you can activate it down below this page.
It is named "NC Black text"... self explanatory, I guess...

Please as we're here, read the announcement we've made on top of this topic.

Hope you'll still feel comfortable in our home ;-) and let's get back talking photography, that's why we're all there and why Open Photography Forum Initiative has been created.

Very best regards

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ray,

Welcome!

Your point on ease of interface use is important to us, of course. We already have a list of issues on this, so that's why we closed that particular topic. Both Michael Tapes and Nicolas Claris and his design staff work so hard to keep up, but we have to focus on new suggestions and also the photography itself, since that's why everybody including the "Team are here"! Everyone volunteers and they have to look after their own business too!

So, for further submissons on this, even great ones, we sending us a note via the contact form: this makes efficient use of our time. We never are "closed" to ideas.

So, having "Only new issues"posted here, allows us to hear you and thus continually update our worklist without distractions.

The idea of ability to adjustwidth of boxes[/] and text size is new and to my mind valid. We'll look at, I promise!. If it is easy, we may do it forthwith. To my best belief, the text, however, is controlled by your browser.

We fix immediately any option built into the existing forum bulletin program. The rest, requiring programming, go in the bucket to consider as one group later on. Otherwise cost would be prohibitive. Also the software would be chaotic if we changed the bulleting every week, even for great suggestions! So we really want feedback, but the forbearance in getting implementation.

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
apparently no way to increase the size of the text or the text box to save scrolling up and down
Quick reply is for ... quick replies or posts. You still have some ability to enrich your text or to click on vertical/horizontal arrows to enlarge vertically your window.
"Quote" will let you do a lot of enrinchment as text size, color, font + html tags etc.... read carefully, roll slowly your mouse on icons (all over this site as well) to read contextual informations. There are a lot to discover.

I know, I know, when you have a new camera or a new software, very few read the documentation before playing... even the famous "read me first"
:))))))

Status
Not open for further replies.