• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: Curves explored

Nigel Allan

Curves explored

In this case the curves in question are the sliders in Lightroom, not those on the lady!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Curves explored

In this case the curves in question are the sliders in Lightroom, not those on the lady!

This is the sort of comment that would infuriate Tom Dinning, but nevertheless, I will take the risk! I think that this picture, transformed as it is, offers new ways of presentation. I would, for example divide the picture with one or two horizontal wide white lines or bars of white matte to create a vertical diptych or triptych, as this lends itself to breaking up into components. This allows one to more easilly isolate the richness in each segment of the entire photograph.

Anyway, I hope I get forgiven. I would not offer this idea if I knew you had finished your explorations

Asher

Paul Abbott

With respect, I don't think this image needs a 'dodgy' curve process. I think it works wonderfully well as a straight up unadulterated B&W.
We get a beautiful figure delineated by a lovely shard of light, the subject's form is in contrast to the curtain's conforming and concertina'ed lines. Her hand is nicely balanced at the curtain too.
I like the bottom right corner holding a small amount of detail, and we all know what that is.
Also, we wonder what she is looking at and seeing up at the window, uncovered like she is and whether anyone has seen her.

Anyway, those are the things I appreciate in this image. Nice one, Nigel. It's a far better image/ aspect than your initial one. ;)

Nigel Allan

Thanks Paul. You were the person who introduced me to this forum many years ago as I think we share similar aesthetics and values in photography and I always admire your work. Everything you do is very well thought out and considered and executed flawlessly.

I wasn't trying to be dodgy but just felt the changes the curves brought made it slightly more abstract, but I think you already know me and 99% of the time I prefer photos as seen in the viewfinder with as little pp as is necessary. Here is a unadulterated version

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nigel,

Thanks Paul. You were the person who introduced me to this forum many years ago as I think we share similar aesthetics and values in photography and I always admire your work. Everything you do is very well thought out and considered and executed flawlessly.

I wasn't trying to be dodgy but just felt the changes the curves brought made it slightly more abstract, but I think you already know me and 99% of the time I prefer photos as seen in the viewfinder with as little pp as is necessary. Here is a unadulterated version

Very nice. I like this much better.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The importance of this exercise!

Curves explored​

Nigel,

This picture is still instructive in providing indications of what reserve you have in the "original" that folk seem to prefer. For example, there is sufficient data there to help better outline her legs. I think this might be used to further develop the organ image as the legs seem to me to be hesitant in getting up to the quality of the head and breast of the figure.

Having said this, I do not object to being this extreme in your presentation of the shot. One should go to extraordinary lengths to explore the limits of what is possible. That doesn't mean that the extremes should be chosen. However, we need to be open to this kind of exaggeration. All such modulation helps to customize and make specific your own voice over the choices the camera makers make in designing the camera.

Part of the photographs job can be stimulating our recovery of stashed images of other scenes and bringing them back in your new setting. I myself think of polished steel sculptures by Robert Graham.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the compliments. I personally prefer photos as seen by my eye through the viewfinder and unretouched as far as it is possible to do (ie I prefer to crop in the viewfinder as well). Just personal taste which comes from my days taking film I guess.

However, I also agree with Asher and the purpose of the original post was simply to explore an idea and as I said to Paul to try and make it slightly more abstract. I think this is a nice shot and I am proud of it. I am not always the best judge of my own shots and sometimes pick the wrong one to show lol (and should hire Paul to select them for me ) but I could see this shot having a kind of Andy Warhol treatment with different interpretations of the image, and that's all I was thinking when I posted the original one with the curves messed up

Asher Kelman

Jarmo,

Important not to let us inhibit you from escaping the constraints of "what is" to the possibilities of "what might be"!

We have plenty of realists. We need them and they bring us over horizons beyond our reach at this particular moment in time. So their work is always fascinating and we get pleasure by their generous sharing.

However, we need experimenters too! Continue to take risks and stick your neck out, or we would all simply be tourists and no one would build!

Asher