• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

RSS feed?

Sid Jervis

pro member
The FAQ tells us that RSS is supported, but will the site or forum have RSS syndication enabled?

As a Mac user I use Safari to read RSS, what do windows folk use?
Does anyone else use RSS?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ray West

I use rss reader - fireant- on windoze to get the photoshoptv video blogs. It works quite well, but like a number of programs it tries to take over your world. I also found and downloaded some old films, and it handled that nicely in the background.

On one of my sites, I use an rss feed, and asked 'customers' to install a reader. I only send out text site update links, infrequently now, but it does not work too well, seems to repeat messages randomly, I am uncertain if its a server or reader issue. (can't think its my xml coding ;-)
I contacted fireant, but I could not switch to them for reader, they needed video content.

I sort of got into rss feeds via the bbc.co.uk site, and was interested in some of the news topics, but it came down too fast, and took a lot of manual filtering, so I unhooked from them.

I think rss is a very good idea, but only if it is linked to specific areas of interest. I guess its something like paying direct debit - you set it up and forget it, but the provider is still in some sort of control.

I am not sure if it would be useful here, in any active forum situation, I think it works best, for me, if its a regular broadcast, to save logging in every week/whenever.

Best wishes,

Ray

Sid Jervis

pro member
Hi Ray,
With Safari it is nice and easy. All I do to set it up, is go to the site that has an RSS feed, and save the page as a book mark, if the site gets an update, a counter increments in the title of my book mark list. To read the feed, all I need to do is click the bookmark and then the item I want to see, Safari then drops me into the site forum without having to navigate the forum structure.
How do I know if RSS exists on a site if the web site doesn't announce the fact?
Safari will show a small RSS logo in the address bar when I am at the site, like a favicon, but at the end of the site address.

RSS on Safari is also good because I can adjust how much information I see, ranging from every single post on the site, to titles. Filtering can also be adjusted by month, week, day, new etc.
As you say, with RSS you do not have to visit the web site unless you want to post, but you still get all the information.
With RSS I track about twenty sites, including Adobe Lightroom discussion groups, Apple feeds, iView media pro news and forums, it certainly makes life easier for me.
In fact, I doubt that I could keep up without RSS.

Thanks for your input.

Guy Scharf

I'm certainly interested in a RSS feed provided I can specify which forums are included in the feed. I don't want everything.

I use Thunderbird (email program) as my RSS reader. It works very well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Guy, sid, John, Ray and everyone else interested in RSS,

We also think that RSS would be popular. We have to look into the vBulletin to see how to implement it. Michael Tapes, our vBulletin "mavin", might be able to set it up in 5 minutes. I don't know. Michael is involved in shoots right now, but we'll ask him.

I'm in Bordeaux going over everything with Nicolas and the design team at M&N Oganisation. If anyone wants to post here the setting up and using RSS feed, for windows and Mac users on the reception end. That would help us and forum users and we could refer people to this thread.

It may be that we solve this today or maybe "soon". It depends on how it is set up. We will keep you updated.

Thanks again for raising this important isue.

Asher

Last edited: