• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Growth

Harvey Moore

Spending some time learning my new Voigtlander Macro-Lanthar 125 2.5

I am using it on the 5D, MF only, but communicates well with camera, focus confirmation, etc
So far it has performed well on the mundane around the apartment shots. The main drawback for me is rebuilding my atrofied manual focus skills.

Took this one early this morning, natural light only, f5.6 1/30" iso 200

432385660_eff1192f4d_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wondserful light! What is the story on getting that lens to have focus confirmation. I knew there was a change one could make to Contax N lenses.

Is this from Cameraquest?

Asher

Harvey Moore

Asher,

This lens was made to function with several different camera bodies. I believe the Nikon version had the highest number made. I purchased the EOS version for use on my 5D. It functions like any Canon lens, i.e. Av, Tv, M modes, metering modes, etc. It only lacks Auto Focus, however the focus confirmation beeps and viewfinder focus point lights up. No special adapter needed.

It was, I read somewhere, a copy of a Leica lens design, and first manufactured in 2002. For some reason it is out of production currently. Cameraquest sold mainly the Nikon version and would special order the EOS version. I purchased from Shashinki.com in Malaysia and shipment came from Japan. Great price, shipping was included, and I had it in my hands 4 days after order placement.

I like to do flora, butterflies, various other outdoor usually static work, although butterflies can be like photographing active children. This lens so far is performing as advertised.

Here is a flower shot that had me in the prone position on the ground to take the shot. Shot this one a few minutes after the leaf shot above, it was in the shadows.

432454917_31de20a46f_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How does it compare with the Canon and Sigma macros? They are pretty good too. Is it working distance or a special look or dimensionality or what that made you gt the lens.

Or perhaps price. I didn't ask how much?

Asher

Harvey Moore

$590 shipped

The last Macro I owned was Nikon circa 1970, one of the Micro Nikkors if I remember right, so I have no personal comparison to current technology in macro lenses.

I have been looking at purchasing a lens in the range of 135mm, and a thread on this lens, officially named Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125 mm f2.5 SL, appeared over at fm. The sample photos looked good, including both macro and portrait photos. There were several endorsements in the thread for this lens.

My gut feel was to give it a try, I think it was a good decision.

So far I am pleased, I am going to give it a workout at the South Carolina Botanical Gardens near Clemson this week, flowers and bugs. I'm sure it will perform well.

Holly Cawfield

Harvey, I am utterly entranced by this beautiful photo of a leaf in such lovely light. I have been staring at it for quite a few minutes now. The spectrum of greens is wonderful and it’s amazing how many greens there are! It’s so very appealing in its simplicity and the expression ‘good taste’ keeps coming to mind. It imprints itself on the consciousness. I say that because I saw it last night and thought of it again this morning…and then found I had to come and look at it again just now. Each time I look at it, I like it more. Thank you for posting it.

Harvey Moore

Thank you for the nice words on the photo Holly.

I usually look for interesting backlighting when out and about shooting nature, sometimes I get lucky and push the shutter at the right time.