• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Working on retouch skills, C&C appreciated.

I've recently picked up and have practiced on a couple of approaches towards the "glamour" look. My objective is to get good enough so that my wife will let me take pictures of her again (like I was allowed to do twenty five years ago). LOL, once the gals hit sixty they don't want a camera aimed at them.

The picture below was not taken by me (in fact I don't shoot people, just landscapes and wildlife); it was provided by Fuji when they first introduced the S1 Pro. My intent with the retouching exercise was to get close but not reach the plastic doll look. FWIW, the full size version actually shows a subtle degree of skin pores. Anyway, I would really appreciate your "first impression" included in any commentary you may provide, thanks. OBTW, your last impressions are also more than welcome. :)

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Joseph!

Like the doctors ask, when were you last well? What was this picture like before you touched it?

Also describe what you were trying to do and how you approached it. Her right cheek is posterized.

I do like the model.

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Joe,

where you going with that Gaussian blur filter in your hand. Goin down to retouch your old lady, caught her messin round with another man....da da da da da......

Asher, I don't see any posterization, but then you know I don't take that highly tecnical approach like I assume you do. Reminds me of the guys that photograph brick walls to determine focus....yikes.
As I have said before though, that approach is not for me but important none the less.
In my world of portrait photography I think the work looks great. Nice job Joe........would you mind sharing the steps.

Ciao,

PB

Hi Joseph!

Like the doctors ask, when were you last well? What was this picture like before you touched it?

Asher

Sorry Asher, I should have pointed out in my original post the Fuji original is on the right and the retouch job is on the left. LOL, I was hoping folks could see the difference (sigh, all that work down the drain). I'll check out your posterization comment as soon as I find the full size original, thanks!

FWIW, the lion's share of retouching was performed only on the Red Channel.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian