• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D Mirror Lock

kci.uk

Rumour has it that walls have ears , and it is ( see I never mentioned a name ) for this reason I post ..

So far the call for a more usable mirror lock button seems almost without argument. but I ask for assistance with being able to lock the mirror for the duration of a 3 shot bracket.

Is it possible with firmware to set the camera to recognise the combination of mirror lock + bracket 3 frames, and hold the mirror up for this duration. So when I use the cable release and want to merge 3 images I don’t have to suffer the delays, and image variations in time, created by lifting -waiting for vibration to settle- and then firing on each shot.

PS what about using mirror lock when firing from the laptop tethered ? seems that EOS Utility wont let me !

Other than this gripe , and the slightly flat rear screen ... what a damn amazing little camera ! What fantastic resolution ....... really benefits from LIFTING THE MIRROR ! ;)

kci.uk said:
Is it possible with firmware to set the camera to recognise the combination of mirror lock + bracket 3 frames, and hold the mirror up for this duration.

I don't think this is mechanically possible because there is only one motor to cock the springs that drive the mirror and shutter. If I'm correct (and I'm not 100% positive) that means that the camera couldn't wind the shutter springs with the mirror in the up position.

Someone will likely correct me if I'm wrong but that's the way I understood the mechanics of the 10D which I am assuming is applicable to the other dSLRs as well.

Lee Jay

Stan Jirman

I don't think that's what unnamed original poster meant. You could flip the mirror up, take three exposures, and flip the mirror down (that would be my summary of the original request).

To the OP: this has been already publicly acknowledged by (no name mentioned).

Stan Jirman said:
I don't think that's what unnamed original poster meant. You could flip the mirror up, take three exposures, and flip the mirror down (that would be my summary of the original request).

Wouldn't taking three exposures require cocking and releasing the shutter three times, all with the mirror locked in the up position?

Lee Jay

Stan Jirman

Lee Jay Fingersh said:
Wouldn't taking three exposures require cocking and releasing the shutter three times, all with the mirror locked in the up position?

Yes; I still fail to see the problem with that.

Stan Jirman said:
Yes; I still fail to see the problem with that.

Well, if the mirror spring is cocked and the mirror moved up, the spring hasn't yet been released. I would think that driving the motor in that situation (to re-cock the shutter springs) would damage or destroy the spring or stall the motor. Perhaps the mechanics are such that the spring is disengaged from the drivetrain when it is in the up position - I don't know.

The details are a bit sketchy. Here's a subthread on the subject:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=17542302

And a couple related pictures on this topic by the OP of that thread:

http://www.pbase.com/domotang/image/43794075
http://www.pbase.com/domotang/image/43794076

Lee Jay