• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D as main or second body.....

Diane Fields

Just to get this started. Many of us here, I suspect, have a 5D as our main body or as a secondary FF body. I had coveted FF since the first 1Ds was introduced but, in all honesty, didn't think I would have one in my possession until buying a used somewhere down the line when they became 'affordable' LOL. I've had all the double digit bodies--the D30/60/10D and 20D (and the Oly E10 prior)--and if I had known the 5D was to be introduced, I would have held on awhile and bought the 5D instead of the 20D. Still--sometime this Winter I came to realize that I could finance the 5D with a selloff of a few redundant lenses, the good EFs 10-22 and the 20D, plus the old D30 and D60 and keep the 10D as backup body for my parttime commercial work. It sufficed before--and certainly would as a backup. So--I moved into FF land with the resolution that is sufficient for my printing needs. I had to readjust my eyes--hadn't shot with film for quite a long time--so that was the first of my changes. It also meant that I choose my lenses for the day's shooting differently--both primes and zooms.

I guess my question is--has the 5D, if its your main body, changed the way you shoot---or, if its your second body, are you finding you use it more than you suspected?

All in all--this is a pretty lame first post in a thread--but I felt it needed to have something going in this forum *smile*.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Diane Fields said:
Just to get this started. Many of us here, I suspect, have a 5D as our main body or as a secondary FF body. I had coveted FF since the first 1Ds was introduced but, in all honesty, didn't think I would have one in my possession until buying a used somewhere down the line when they became 'affordable' LOL. I've had all the double digit bodies--the D30/60/10D and 20D (and the Oly E10 prior)--and if I had known the 5D was to be introduced, I would have held on awhile and bought the 5D instead of the 20D. Still--sometime this Winter I came to realize that I could finance the 5D with a selloff of a few redundant lenses, the good EFs 10-22 and the 20D, plus the old D30 and D60 and keep the 10D as backup body for my parttime commercial work. It sufficed before--and certainly would as a backup. So--I moved into FF land with the resolution that is sufficient for my printing needs. I had to readjust my eyes--hadn't shot with film for quite a long time--so that was the first of my changes. It also meant that I choose my lenses for the day's shooting differently--both primes and zooms.

I guess my question is--has the 5D, if its your main body, changed the way you shoot---or, if its your second body, are you finding you use it more than you suspected?

All in all--this is a pretty lame first post in a thread--but I felt it needed to have something going in this forum *smile*.

First Diane,

A huge California welcome!

Yes, I also bought a 5D as a FF camera, but to go with my exotic Zeiss lenses that my 1DII robs of the wide angle I paid too much for.

I will be providing my experiences, but suffice to say, it is much slower in handling than the 1DII. Not just between-shot speed but also in obtaining focus.

I consider it as a wonderful giant "G" series or "S" series digicam with a reflex mirror and high ISO, compared to the sheer power and weight of the 1D series.

I love the 5D. However, it takes some new habits. That joystick flummexed me for a while. I still haven't read the manual but so far have managed by intuitive memory and luck!

Asher

I have actually no idea why the 5D is in this forum. The image quality is damned close to the 1ds2.

I don't own the 5D because I got the 1ds2 earlier. Today I just would get 2x 5D and be happy :). But right now the Nikon D2x is our second body.

Uwe

mdbassman

Dynamic Range of 5D

I got the 5D last year to upgrade from my 20D. It is my main body now. The dynamic range, FF, and hi ISO images are just wonderful! It is my main body with a MKII as my secondary and for the 1 Series "pro" features. The 5D compliments the MKII or vice versa. Either way I am very satisfied.
Dan

Asher Kelman

My 5D was purchased to serve several purposes. First it is to be able to utilize the full angle of my Zeiss lenses: The 18mm, 21mm and 28mm Distagons, the 50mm Planar and also the 28-85 Vario Sonnar. This will be generally on a tripod with mirror up and remote release.

Examples would be for landscape, interiors and formal portraits.

The Second use is for lightweight street and travel photography mated to either the 24-105 mm L IS lens or the 50 2.5 Macro.

My telephotos will go with my 1DII as now.

OT: So why is the 5D here, in this particular forum? At this moment? Simply because it is not in Canon's flagship 1D line of weather-protected heavy-duty cameras. Not a great answer, but the answer.

Asher

Harvey Moore

The 5D and its placement in forums has generated many raging arguments in at least two photog sites that I know of.

I don't care where it is placed, as long as discussions about it are available.

I am pleased with my 5D/20D combo, but the 20D sees little use from me lately, use it mostly for telephoto, and keep it it my vehicle with the 16-35L mounted for impromptu opportunities that arise while driving.

harvey

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Uwe Steinmueller said:
I have actually no idea why the 5D is in this forum. The image quality is damned close to the 1ds2.
Uwe

Hi Uwe,

We put the 5D here because in operation it is almost identical to the 20D/30D, so the questions regarding how to use it technically belong here. Photographically, of course many cameras here have very good image quality and the top is the 5D. So it can be in either forum, but in the end we decided that the 1 series are simply cameras onto themselves, and that the 5D shares more with the xxD cameras than the 1 series. it was not an easy decision. We will see how things go.

Diane Fields

Michael Tapes said:
Hi Uwe,

We put the 5D here because in operation it is almost identical to the 20D/30D, so the questions regarding how to use it technically belong here. Photographically, of course many cameras here have very good image quality and the top is the 5D. So it can be in either forum, but in the end we decided that the 1 series are simply cameras onto themselves, and that the 5D shares more with the xxD cameras than the 1 series. it was not an easy decision. We will see how things go.

It should make not too much difference here as I'm guessing (hoping) that more emphasis will be on the use of the camera rather than the 'how tos' since I'm assuming that most here will be conversant with their own camera bodies. I bet you could have lumped all the Canons together and gotten along fine. Then again--knowing the brouhaha on other forums--anything is possible LOL.

Asher Kelman

Hi Diane,

Sure we could merge the Canon fora. However, we would like to provide at least some small measure of insulation for working professionals without having a restricted forum. It is imperfect, of course. So, for now at least, that is the approach. If, in the end, it becomes ovious that only one Canon DSLR forum is needed, then that's what we'll do.

It is no longer true that working pros just use 1D series cameras. It is certainly the case that sports event photographers are more likely to use the 1DII. Likewise the 1DsII, almost exclusively is used for fashion/ beauty (when medium format is not thec choice) ...except for those that prefer the look that Nikon delivers!

Still, people have remarked that the skin tones with the 5D may be better. So all the lines are now blurred.

I imagine that many pros will adopt the 5D at least as a backup or when the 1DsII is just to heavy to lug around all day.

Asher

Diane Fields

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Diane,

Sure we could merge the Canon fora. However, we would like to provide at least some small measure of insulation for working professionals without having a restricted forum. It is imperfect, of course. So, for now at least, that is the approach. If, in the end, it becomes ovious that only one Canon DSLR forum is needed, then that's what we'll do.

It is no longer true that working pros just use 1D series cameras. It is certainly the case that sports event photographers are more likely to use the 1DII. Likewise the 1DsII, almost exclusively is used for fashion/ beauty (when medium format is not thec choice) ...except for those that prefer the look that Nikon delivers!

Still, people have remarked that the skin tones with the 5D may be better. So all the lines are now blurred.

I imagine that many pros will adopt the 5D at least as a backup or when the 1DsII is just to heavy to lug around all day.

Asher

Asher, I'm fine with it 'as is' *smile*

Juli Valley

The same here. I have rarely used the 20D since I got the 5D. I did use it Sunday for a shoot where I wanted to have two bodies with different lenses.

5d .... or 1ds2 ?

although i mostly used my 1ds2 and was holding the 5d as backup, except if i went out for some street or private shots.....
i will sell now my 1ds2. seriously and without wanting to start a large discussion about, i cant see a differecne in the resolution or at least its very hard to find. even in the last resolution test from m.reichman i couldnt find details in the 1ds2 shot which was not in the 5d shot also visible..... even i had the impression the 5d was higher resolving.....

Asher Kelman

rainer viertlböck said:
although i mostly used my 1ds2 and was holding the 5d as backup, except if i went out for some street or private shots.....
i will sell now my 1ds2. seriously and without wanting to start a large discussion about, i cant see a differecne in the resolution or at least its very hard to find. even in the last resolution test from m.reichman i couldnt find details in the 1ds2 shot which was not in the 5d shot also visible..... even i had the impression the 5d was higher resolving.....

I don't own a 1DsII to make my own comparison, but for my purposes which is to really utilize my fine Zeiss lenses, the FF 5D is the perfect solution. However for fast people situations the 1DII can't be beat. Otherwise the 5D is probably the best DSLR from Canon and is not like carrying a lead brick!

Asher

Søren Andersen

Michael Tapes said:
Hi Uwe,

We put the 5D here because in operation it is almost identical to the 20D/30D, so the questions regarding how to use it technically belong here.

Hi Michael. You did the right thing. But the 5D is special because as you say, it operates like a 20D but my experience is that it does not make not sense to discuss lens choices with 1.6 crop users. Well, I still think this must be the right thing to do. Canon will probably come out with more midrange ff bodys later, and then perhaps these and the 5D could have a forum by themselves.

Tony Field

I shoot the 1D-IIn and 5d. Generally, I use them for their obvious abilities in different venues. The 1D-IIn is great for sports (motorcycle, speedskating, cars, pj, etc) and the 5D is great for pretty pictures (scenic, studio) or for walkabout shots (because of the weight).

I shoot a lot of low light (ISO 3200, F1.4, 1/60 sec stuff) for the performing arts. Generally, they perform equally well and I usually shoot with two bodies.

The only complaint is the difference in the human interface - the 5D and 1D-IIn have divergent ways of operation and it is easy to make an operational error or take unnecessary time when shooting these bodies together. IMHO, it is easier to shoot the 5D with Nikon bodies than it is to shoot it along side the 1D-IIn providing prime lenses are used on at least one body (primes eliminate the zoom direction problems :)

Tony Fiorda

Like many here, I started with old Canon bodies (AE-1 Program and the original A1 circa 1980) and since selling all of my film kit, I've used a 10D. I missed the "wide" of my wide angles and the shallower DOF without the crop factor.

I've recently moved to a 5D and 2 L lenses and absolutely love them. I still have the 10D as my backup, but with the 5D I have rediscovered the 35mm style photography that I got used to and probably will not move back to a crop factor camera, if I have my way anyhow. Not that I didn't get great shots with the 10D...:)

Tony...

Michael Warren

Not a lame question at all.

Diane, this is not a lame question at all. I just received my 5D on Wed., and this thing is amazing! I have only been shooting digital for a little over a year (35 years shooting film) with a D30, and the one thing I miss the most is the actual focal length of the lenses on the camera. Applying a 1.6x crop to all lenses is just a different way of thinking, always trying to find the right combo to get to the real focal lengths that were so familiar with film cameras. The 5D has done just that! Add to it beautiful high ISO, very responsive and accurate AF, and familiar controls, and it just shines! I am not sure that a backup shouldnt be another 5D. Of course you use what you have, only makes sense. The 5D will be primary body for a long time.

taojones

I reckon

the 5D is in a totally different league than the 20D having had both. I find the 5D is such a brilliant camera. I shoot in a lot of low light and this camera is a sheer pleasure for me...but we all know it is not the camera that makes for the 'good shots' but this one sure helps..maybe FF's should be all together..then again could be good to have them all in one canon forum, tao jones

Tom Wilk

The 5D isn't my primary or secondary body - at this time, it is my only body.

I sold a 1D II after I got the 5D, not because it wasn't a great camera but because it wasn't matched well to my shooting style. The 5D does match my use - it's great in low-light, it tracks well in center-frame, and it's a very easy camera to carry. And, the high-resolution images are very adaptable and very useable.

I also had a 350D/XT for a short period of time as a backup but I really never latched on to its interface. I may grab a used 20D sometime soon as backup, and for the occasional long shot.

Tom Yi

I plan on replacing the XT with a 5D or it's replacement.
Like some have mentioned above. I plan on using the 1DM2N for sports, events, animals, and airshows where the faster AF and the extra reach would be beneficial.

I plan on using the 5D for wide stuff like landscapes, cityscapes, and large print work.

Ideally, I'd have a 5D with a 16-35 for the wide stuff, the N with a normal zoom for midrange stuff or a 70-200 for event/sports, and a 30D with a super telephoto for really long reach. That way I can exploit the virtues of the three different sized sensors.