• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What do you think about Will Crockett's Views on "On Camera Flash?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will Crockett gives seminars on optmizing on camera flash for portraits, groups wedddings etc. It's called Controlling On-Camera Flash Like A Pro - The next class is at the Peterson Automotive Museum, 6060 Wilsghire Blvd, Los Angeles this monday night 7-10pm.

Register here .

Now I have questions on the recomendations even before the seminar! What do you think of Will Crcoket's order of preference for flash?

Will Crocket's Current Recommended Gear List for OCFlash:

Camera Bodies for MANUAL and AUTO Flash Modes (not listed in any particular order) :
Canon: Rebel XT, 20D, 30D, 5D and better which includes the 5D, 1D 1Ds, mark 2 and mark 3.
Nikon: D70, D80, D1x, D1h, D200, and all the D2 series bodies.
Fujifilm S2, S3 and S5.

Flashes for MANUAL and AUTO Flash Modes (ranked in order)
1, Metz 54mz series if you need power and flexibility, 58AF1 if you are interested in TTL too.
2, Metz 76mz and 70mz series.
3, Quantum Qflash T5d series and T4.
4, Nikon SB 800 and SB 80 flashes.

Camera Bodies for TTL Flash Modes (not listed in any particular order) :
Canon: 30D, 5D and better which includes the 5D, 1D 1Ds, mark 2 and mark 3.
Nikon: D200, and all the D2 series bodies.
Fujifilm S5.

Flashes for TTL Mode (ranked in order)
1, Metz 58AF series
2, Quantum Qflash T5dr and T5d 4, ProMaster 7500 DX
3, Nikon SB800 5, Canon 580 EX v 1 and 2

What flash do you use and why? Notice the much vaunted 580 EX v.1 and 2 are put last!

So

1. What do you think about the ranking and the placement of the 580 EX?

2. What do you use? and

3. What one new flash would you buy if your own flash was lost?

Asher

NEWS FLASH: Participants can stay after the presentation tonight and photograph the expensive and rare antique and fabulous automobiles! :)

Last edited:
Since the choices for Crockett seems to be pretty biased towards Metz & Quantum, perhaps it has something to do with the mfgs. current emphasis on x-ttl.

Perhaps the Metz & Quantum are better suited for TTL?

The Canon 580 isn't even listed as a viable choice for MANUAL/AUTO flash!

Me? I use a PENTAX 540FGZ! =D

Asher Kelman

Since the choices for Crockett seems to be pretty biased towards Metz & Quantum, perhaps it has something to do with the mfgs. current emphasis on x-ttl.

Perhaps the Metz & Quantum are better suited for TTL?

The Canon 580 isn't even listed as a viable choice for MANUAL/AUTO flash!

Me? I use a PENTAX 540FGZ! =D

Where would one place the Vivitar 283 in manual and automatic flash (GN 120 in feet)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Photographing Rare Cars At Paterson's Auto Museum on Wilshire Bld. L.A. TONIGHT!! :)

Hi tim,

That's a good source too. Thanks for helpful link. It could indeed be better.

A special advantage to Will's course is that it's near some of ous, is happening now and the extra opportunity belwo:

NEWS FLASH: Participants can stay after the presentation tonight and photograph the expensive and rare antique and fabulous automobiles! [:)

For $35, that alone would be a bargain! Also perhaps Samy's Camera, a sponsor, might even give discount vouchers for flash??

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
$35!!

Asher

35$ to have the right to photograph old cars? are you kidding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Samy's

He was to have done that class sometime earlier in the year sponsored by Samy's Camera. I signed up and even paid and then heard nothing. Then I found the class was cancelled so maybe it was a later offering.

Sara Frances

Mr. Crockett deserves respect for time in grade and valuable presentations on many subjects. I have, however, never found an article that delineates precisely why he recommends certain flashes over others. All the contemporary units work well. Furthermore, nothing about lighting is simple, from seeing the light itself to deciding what to modify and choosing the tools to best fit the situation. I'm one of those who wants my information complete and exact; product driven info is excellent - but only if the product is really the best answer to achieve great images for me myself. Mr. Neil van Niekerk's more than 10,000 words about flash posted on www.planetneil.com are the equivalent of a first class person tutor. Rather spend some time with Neil and then try things out on your own!

Andrew Rodney

IF Crockett's info about flash is anything like his strange ideas about color management and sRGB, I'd run away in a hurry.

Joe McNally’s new “Hot Shoe Diaries" is a new book on this subject. Joe's forgotten more about Photography than Crockett knows about the subject IMHO.

Will Thompson

It is not the flash you use it is how you use it.

For definitive lighting check out the Dean Collins series on lighting!