View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Thank you Asher !

I think masks are one of the most important features in Photoshop. At first I used the eraser, but now I don't use it anymore. I relly entirely on masks to add or erase.
Masks are quite simple( and I love simple things) :
Lets say we added an effect to a layer, but we want this effect to be visible only on some parts of the image. This is when we add a mask: I would start with a white one if I had little to erase, or with a black one if I thought to make the effect less visible.
Maybe the word erase is not perfect, I should say : " hide". So, a white mask makes everything on the layer visible and a black mask hiddes it all. (only on the layer linked to it.)Make sure you selected the mask and paint with a white brush to reveal or a black brush to hide. This is far better than with the eraser, because you can make as much changes as you wish, at any time, hide / reveal.

Well, about colors... I'm going to say a few words about skin. In RBG, a good skin tone is under this relationship Red>Green>Blue ( in general) . The most common problem is represented by " pink" areas, especially in hands.( because of the high levels of magenta). Lowering the magenta and maybe adding some yellow can improve the skin tone( remember it all depends on the photo).

Advice when using curves: don't go too far with the shape of the curve because you will get posterizations. Every file has it's limits, so try to know when to stop before it looks retouched.
When the color corrections are done right, the image looks sharper. It also makes the skin look healthier and more uniform. Start with a general removal of a cast( if there is one in the photo), then make small adjustment so the skin can have a uniform tone. What bothers in an image, are not only the spots, blemishes etc, but also portions there are pink, then yellow, then pink etc.
:)

Thank you!