View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Buttrick View Post
....I am a fine art photographer and on March 1st I opened my own gallery in Marshall Michigan. My lovely wife still thinks I'm nuts, but life is too short not to chase your dreams. I have dreamed about owning my own gallery for sometime and at age 52 I felt it was now or never. Now won and I said goodbye to the financial services profession. I have sold my work via my website and through other galleries and wanted my own place. Along with my photography I have given 25 other artists the opportunity to display and sell their work in a fine art gallery.

Although the gallery has only been open for 3 weeks, it has already been quit a journey. Here are before and after images.

I put the gallery together from start to finish in three weeks and we had 300 people attend the opening.
Hi Scott,

Already before I posted my previous reaction in this thread I was meaning to reply to your original post so here it is, FWIW.

Firstly, I think it is an incredible leap of faith indeed and I commend you wholeheartedly for taking this step. Following our dreams and giving up our mundane day jobs must be something which all of us have dreamt of at one point or another in our lives. Not everybody is confident enough to actually change anything, so mostly it remains a dream. So what you’ve done is a great achievement already no matter how things turn out to be on the long term.

How difficult was it renovating the gallery and refurbishing it? Did it take a long time? Have you done most of the work yourself or did you hire a contractor? These are the hard parts of the reality behind the dream, chasing it has never been easy after all.

I think that the place looks great on the pictures. It will be a stepping stone for many local artists in getting their work exhibited and sold, which is great. All in all, very well done.

May you be very successful in this new exciting venture!

With my best regards,

Cem