• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What an interesting web site!!!

I'm very happy to be here! Its already my second post because one minute ago I was concentrated reading a threat and I didn't think it would have been more polite to post here my 1st post: I apologize!!
My kindest regards to all forum members.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi Carlo,

welcome, there is a diverse range of personalities on this forum & I am sure you will enjoy yourself & make your own valuable contributions.
As far as being polite & the protocol for your first post is concerned, I would say that since it was my thread you responded to you had your priorities in the exact correct order.

Cheers,

Paul

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
LoL!

That's a good start!

Welcome Carlo!

Where are you based? Paul is in Hobart, I am in Bordeaux, some others in Europe, a few in Middle East, Australia. And, oh yes, we also have members in the USA !o)

Thank you Paul, thank you Nicolas for your warm welcome.
I'm based in Milan, Italy. I'm rather new to photography. I can't remember myself thinking too much before shooting a pic until 1997 or so. Than I bought a Nikon Coolpix (the one you could twist, I can't remember the number). From there on I started trying to think before shooting, and I've started fiddling with PS. I switched to Canon then (D10 that I didn't love, a 1DMKII which I loved very much). Now I have a MKIII that works really well. I've uploaded some pics of mine here:
http://www.photo.net/photos/cocasana.
Some of the travel ones have been published in Italian magazines and by Greenpeace Australia in a campaign in defense of Papua. I really enjoy shooting photos and fiddling with PS.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Paul, thank you Nicolas for your warm welcome.
I'm based in Milan, Italy. I'm rather new to photography.

Welcome to our small community! We try to improve our pictures, everything else, apart from just having fun, is secondary. Although we can out-pixel peep anyone and can do the math for most optical issues and boast fine equipment, our love is the great photograph.

The "rather new to photography" remark, understates your capabilities ans the wonderful work you have done! I visited your gallery and will return many times. The defense of Papua is something I'd like to learn more about!

BTW, is canabalism practiced in that area? The Foré tribes do but I wonder if the practice is decreasing. It does spread prion diease such as Jakob-Kreutzfeld type dementias, akin to "mad cow{" disease in Europe.

I like the fact that you are bring to us pictures of worlds we have never visited and would like to know more of the people you have been privileged to meet.

I'm so glad to welcome you!

Ciao,

Asher

Thank you Asher for your kind words and for your warm welcome!
When I wrote "campaign in defence of Papua", maybe it isn't correct in English, I was meaning that both Papua as an island and Papuan people are in danger. I'm speaking of Papua Barat, the western part of the island, that belongs to Indonesia, I haven't been in PNG, but I will go there as soon as I can. The enormous wealth (i.e. oil, copper, wood) of the island is being robbed to Papuan people who don't see a penny from that. Most of the natives were at the stone age until 1930/1950 and ever since then Protestant and Catholic missionaries (and lately also Muslims) are tying to convert them make them feel guilty for their culture. They also have problems living in the modern world with their culture and BG. As far as I know cannibalism in Papua has always been a ritual cannibalism. I don't know if its still practiced, but I wouldn't be surprised. But believe me its really a fascinating place: people are nice and kind, their culture is more then interesting, nature is beautiful, and -one more- if you like diving- the sea is wonderful!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Carlo,

I must say I'm troubled when I hear of cultures being wiped out, even by noble people! Your photographs are more important than you can imagine.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Carlo

Welcome....I've just had a look at your collection, they're absolutely superb, I've added your site into my favourites and will return often with great interest.... Nice to have you here.

Thank you Asher. Thank you Georg. Thank you Janet!
Georg: Wim Tok Mabel was a "big man" as they use to say there around. He lived 360/340 years ago in the Baliem valley. He was the chief of his village, an excellent warrior but he was well known for his wisdom. That's all its known about him!

Angelica Oung

Oh my goodness! That one of Rocco!!!

sorry. I flip for cute dog pictures. But in general what an excelleng portfolio. Thanks so much for sharing.