• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Ds MkII - P.Fn 31

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It's been a long time since I went into the Personnal functions…

I had forgotten about P.Fn 31 that "Add original decision data" and states that require more time to save the file on the card…

What are these "original decision data"? focus point? shutter speed etc.?
I recall that when I tried with and without checking this PF, Ididn't notice any difference in the raw converter.
So, why is this function and why should I use it or not?

Thanks for enlighting me!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Huho...
I should have googled "1Ds MkII - P.Fn 31" before asking, but it may be interesting for others too…

P.Fn-31 is used in conjunction with the optional Data Verification Kit.

I'll disable that one!

Yes, I enabled some when the 1Ds2 first came out, and if it seemed essential at the time (since this has to be done via the computer and requisite software and god forbid you might wish to do this on the road) right now I would be hard-pressed to tell you which and why. Diplomatically, one might say that this shows just how reliable the camera is once configured. The situation will be altered if I am not misinformed with the 1Ds3, where it should be possible to do this directly with the camera, and there will no longer be segregation of Custom and Personal functions.

Will Thompson

P.Fn 31 on 1D, 1Ds, 1DMkII, 1DsMkII, and 1DMkIIn

Nicolas, It adds an encrypted check sum to each file. For when photos are used as evidence in court.

On my 1D MkIIN, I have this enabled. (I rarely do high-speed sequences of shooting, so I figured, why not...) Computing the encrypted checksum after a photo has been taken does indeed quite seriously slow down the card-writing process. It, of course, does not affect the shooting performance in any way, but the shooting buffer will clear out more slowly (as if you're using a very slow CF or SD card) so it will affect long sequences of high-speed shooting.