Thread: MF Digital Studio Shoot Demonstration/workshop: Phase One 80 MP back and Capture One 6
View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM

If you can't get to a Phase One demo (and few can) you can still get a very good grasp of Phase One's system architecture concepts and products from their online materials.

Here are some professional in-use vignettes of of new IQ180 backs.

And here are some tutorials on the (relatively) new 645DF camera system.

What's particularly notable about the new IQ backs is that they're not just updates of the P+ backs. The IQs are completely re-architected around a Phase One custom proprietary operating system designed exclusively for the jobs required of high-resolution digital imaging. Outwardly what you notice is the instantaneous start-up and, of course, the iPhone-like touch interface with the luscious "Retina" display. (No more Flintstones screens and interfaces!)

Additionally, the characteristic Phase One four control buttons are now inset on edge bevels in the IQ backs. This may seem like a trivial styling change but it's not! The P+ buttons are flush to the back and are easily accidentally pressed by body-bumps when the camera is on a neck strap. (This is why the button lock-out feature is so prominent.) But the IQ buttons are now positioned equally conveniently as the P+'s buttons but away from such constant body-bump hazards.

I thought I was set for life with my P65+ but once I saw these new IQ designs I knew that this was much more than a marketing campaign. So, yes, I've an IQ160 on order, expecting arrival sometime in May.