• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More Encouragement to Use Real Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hollenberg

I would like to see the registration dialog changed so that people are strongly urged (not required) to use their real names. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of who is who and keeps the discourse on a higher level. When I registered, just asked for a user name, so I used one I often use "weasel". After registering, I remembered that real names were encouraged. There was no way to change my user name to real name (that I could see), so I ended up signing up with my real name using an alternate email address. It would be good to allow changing the user name (or display name) so that those who sign up using a screen name can change later.

Just my suggestion.

--John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John Hollenberg said:
I would like to see the registration dialog changed so that people are strongly urged (not required) to use their real names. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of who is who and keeps the discourse on a higher level. When I registered, just asked for a user name, so I used one I often use "weasel". After registering, I remembered that real names were encouraged. There was no way to change my user name to real name (that I could see), so I ended up signing up with my real name using an alternate email address. It would be good to allow changing the user name (or display name) so that those who sign up using a screen name can change later.

Just my suggestion.

--John

John,

You have brought to the front a very important issue. Just prior to your post I sent a note on exactly this to Michael and Nicolas to have people edit "aliases" to real names.

They are the ones who can change the structure of OPF forum registration and editing of names.

What to do to edit your name will appear as soon as it is available.

Asher

Meanwhile, here is the policy:

"On OPF, we want everyone known by their real names, so that we can attribute contributions and remarks to photographers; real people.

Further, in a Professional Photography forum, aliases or "handles" do not promote an atmosphere of serious participation.

Real names, by contrast, provide accountability and respect.

Thanks for your support."

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As I agree completely with John and Asher on this point, I'd like to point that I've read on another forum asking for real name too, that some photographers claimed that forum could be read only by members to avoid their name to be Googled and therefore their posts could be read by some of their client and see that they may have some weakness and need to ask others...
It is not my case, but we may consider this also...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
John Hollenberg said:
As an aside, can one of the administrators delete the account for "weasel". I can assure you that he will not be posting :D

--John
Can you please PM Michael Tapes, he's our predator ;-)
(of course I'm kidding, but he's really the right guy, you'll find him in the Member list.)

Asher Kelman

Michael says that one can edit one's log-on name.

John, can you try that.

Ultimately, we might make certain forums by invitation to protect photographers, but that should IMHO be limited to one concerning pricing, campaigns, insurance and other such sensitive subjects. We could also have eventually a confidential request for help forum only for working professional photographers. However, before doing that and adding endless subdivisions, I'd like to hear that this is a critical issue. If it is, then we will provide a focussed solution.

Briot, Lifson, Eastwood and so many others use their real names and they have the same privacy issues as anyone else. Still any new ideas on this, please email and we'll see what people think.

At this time, however, we want to keep a real name policy. Exceptions are the usual: you are under a witness protection program, escaping the Mafia, a deranged stalker or avoiding alimony to someone you claims a relationship that never existed!

Seriously, anyone who has issue with this let me know!

Imagine someone brings someone you your house and says "Meet my friend, "Grey_Wolf_666" he wants to stay with you!"

Asher :)

Last edited:

bonnyr

Can I change my existing username or do I have to register as a new user
with my full name? I thought this forum system supported a user name which
is different from the display name and that one could set an option to display
the Display Name for a user...

Last edited:

Steven_Kinberg

Agree also. Looks like this forum has great potential and a hell of a roster of key contributors and moderators. But, very important that people use real names so the conversation doesn't degenerate, and this worked without problem on RG.

I don't think starting to create private areas for a select few is the right direction though. The very essence of a vibrant forum is the mix of viewpoints and experience expressed in a good spirited way. If the most interesting conversations are going on in cigar smoke filled rooms (and that is what people will think if there are private conversations going on), why bother if you're not invited in. Private conversations can be started off line in other ways -- look at the conversation between a number of old time RG MF contributors.

A strong vote for full names and open space!

And thank you for pulling this together. It has all the potential to be the new RG at its best, and better.

Best, Steven

Asher Kelman

Stephen,

We don't need a strong vote for full names and open space!

That's the point of being OPF! That's our very name. That is the basis before we discuss and vote on anything. Rather it's like looking at the sunny day and a free bird flying by and saying "Let's vote that it is a sunny day"!

This forum is intended to be a special place like our homes where we take a little risk and are plain honest. No baggage. Real names!

Steven_Kinberg

Asher Kelman said:
Stephen,

We don't need a strong vote for full names and open space!

That's the point of being OPF! That's our very name. That is the basis before we discuss and vote on anything. Rather it's like looking at the sunny day and a free bird flying by and saying "Let's vote that it is a sunny day"!

This forum is intended to be a special place like our homes where we take a little risk and are plain honest. No baggage. Real names!

Asher, great to hear. And sure it is, and you and your colleagues decision to start this site is great news.

Was just responding to your earlier thought about setting up closed threads by invitation only which is the opposite really of open space and clear views withour walls. And the full name policy is vital, and just responding to the points made by others and that I support that it should be strongly encouraged, including setting up the sign up page so that people are reminded to either use their real name in their screen name or include their full name in the member info page (which could be done in the bio section) -- as you can see from the member directory there are many members who are signing on without doing either, and no obvious way to correct the screen name once signed up.

So all for sunny days, but at the moment the on the ground view is still unclear -- to be expected a few days in to such an ambitious venture as this one.

Best, Steven

Asher Kelman

Hi Stephen,

Yes there are always a few who somehow feel that some "handle" adds humor are makes things a little more laid back. The opposite! only by knowing that the person you are talking to is real and stands by their good wishes, opinions, advice etc, that one can be relaxed at all. We are all here for two reasons: 1. to hang out, stretch our legs and share some of the things on our minds and then, 2. moving to the real serious part, help each other recognize, nurture and develop our individual vision and then the technics to make that appear as an image worthy of coveting.

This is in fact, a very intimate place, with close quarters. One needs to know who is real and what people mean if anything.

One learns by getting to know real people and following their questions, responses, off the cuff remarks, insight and so forth and hopefully see their work too.

Obfuscation is usually, but not always, for nefarious reasons. That's why we want clear open forums. Our premise is that for the most part, setting a high clear standard from the outset, will have people show respect for others and their work.

Things aren't always that easy!

Yes, we already have people who got saddled up with various cowboy or trucker "handles". Michael Tapes now has to spend his precious time to track down each and every one to have them change to real names. It's that simple. There are no rules except the ones that are obvious human values of looking someone in the eye and saying "It's me, how are you?", not, "Who are you?"

Now concerning some possible rooms for limited access. I have been thinking
about this only because someone was worried that if we discussed fees or insurance or other such commercial issues that clients might see.

I don't have an easy solution except that obviously people could send private emails, as in when someone rents a camera, a model or gets hired for a job. If there developed an overwhelming need from working photographers to have a private forum just for discussing insurance, for example, then that would be fine, perhaps. To discuss fees, however, that, I believe might in fact be illegal.

There are always conflicting attitudes. Those that want access and those that want to be "exclusive".

However, after considering everything it is our firm goal, intention and plan to be open, free and to not delete professional threads. The very first step ti this policy is the introduction, "Hi, my name is Asher Kelman, and what I say counts." that has to apply to everyone. Or else?

Or else, we are dancing in some "drunken masked ball" in 14th Centrury Venice, with our gondoliers outside, waiting, marking time on black, sewage-polluted water, watching the dark rats appear for a moment, spraying spirochete-laden urine as they scurry by.

Now you wouldnt take advice from anyone at that masked ball, would you?

Asher

Last edited:

Asim

Asher Kelman said:

Asher

Depends on how attractive they were! LOL

Seriously though, I am somewhat split on this topic, hence why I only use my first name. Since I'm not a pro, only an enthusiast, I don't necessarily want others googling me for professional reasons randomly coming across my freetime activities, e.g., photography, unless I want them to come across them. I prefer to keep my work/professional life separate from my hobbies, etc.

Asher Kelman

You are free to email me privately with your full name to be filed outside of the database, so it is not searchable. This way everyone will be assured that you are accountable as they are!

BTW, there is nothing that will occur here that I could ever imagine would do anything but enhance your professional career.

As your student, colleague or Professor, I would be impressed by any interest in meeting others to share ideas on photography and improve your skills. It is those without such interests that worry us all. They will likely have no social conscience andmight some day poison our rivers or some such disasterous thing. Don't be looking over your shoulder. We'll watch your back, Asim!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Great steps Guys, (a P.C. term even in S. California),

We appreciate everyone throwing away masks. Nice to see a face!

Asher

Steven_Kinberg

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Stephen,

Or else, we are dancing in some "drunken masked ball" in 14th Centrury Venice, with our gondoliers outside, waiting, marking time on black, sewage-polluted water, watching the dark rats appear for a moment, spraying spirochete-laden urine as they scurry by.

Asher

Asher, Glad you said it and not me, but couldn't imagine having synthesized the point quite as well.

Best, Steven

Asher Kelman

Steven,

Glad you like my mataphor. I didn't, BTW, think it up. It simply was there in my brain.

Language, itself, is simply a combination of metaphors. New metaphors create convincing arguments in an arena in the cathedral of the mind.

Whoever owns the strongest metaphors, wins!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Me, I am Dierk Haasis and have been an ... Sorry, digressing.

There's several reasons I didn't use my birth name when registering, one being I wnated to streamline my forum subscriptions. Now I want to change it since peer pressure is on me. How and where?

PS: PM'ed MT yesterday for the same issue.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for contacting Michael Tapes. He'll attend to it. He just has many to do. So pleased you are doing this. If you haven't heard from him, try emailing.

I sent a message to the admin but my question about my previous nickname (Elis) is not solved yet so I just re-registered in accord to the "real name rule" :)

Asher Kelman

Thanks so much Elizabetta for joining our home.

I had a great deal of pleasure visiting your websites and indulged myself in some wonderful photography.

Glad you worked out what to do.

Asher

Wow, Asher!
Your extremely kind words could have the power to light up an ordinary day :)
Thank you for OPF: I am happy to be here!

PS: I'll reply to your PM in a few minutes

Jason Anderson

To the real name, did you want first and last? I can't find any area in the User CP to edit my username to reflect that. If one of the admins wants to, add my last name "Anderson" to my username. Thanks.

Asher Kelman

Re Name

Hi Jason,

Why don't you remind me by email and then I'll try in the a.m. It is now
4:34 a.m and I'm crashing!

If Michael hasn't done so, I''ll have a go at editing your name.

Asher

mburke911

Adding the request for real names to the sign up page

Hello,
I would like to suggest that you add a section requesting the use of real names on the sign up page. Perhaps near the top, or as a link under the username selection section. Another opotion would be to have another field for real name and offer an option on the control pannel to display the real name under the username on posts.
Eventually if the site does very well, as I am sure it will, duplicate names will result. Probably not the case yet but allowing a seperate username from the individual's real name could prevent problems down the road.
Also you could create forums where only members who display their real names are allowed to enter or post. Could be an incentive to show who you are.

I think this site has great potential.

Best,

Mark Burke

Asher Kelman

Mark,

I thought, well MT will understand it, and forwarded it to him!

This is a high priority and your ideas will be mined!

Asher

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Hm, I haven't heard from Michael about my request to change the user name. Should I e-mail him a second tim (although first time was actually PM from the board)?

Status
Not open for further replies.