• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The rocky coast of Maine

Ron Morse

I had to do some errands for my wife that took me right by the coast so I took my camera. I got a few shots that I liked. I have to get ready to go out to dinner right now but here is one of them.

Lovely shot, Ron. Is that Thunder hole? Maine (Mt. Desert Island) is one of my favorite spots on the planet, and we head up there from time to time. I just love hiking along that rocky coast, along areas just like this.

Brings back pleasant memories!

Diane Fields

Nice. It brought back some memories. We've been there 3 times over a number of years--latest Fall 2006 and I was just cleaning up my galleries and dealt with a lot of Maine photos--I really love Acadia and Mt. Desert Island where we have spent the most of our time.

Diane

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yep, me too

Beautiful shot. Wish I could have helped run those errands with you!

I too love Acadia/Mt. Desert Island. The light there is beautiful and the scenery is breathtaking. We were there in 2004 and I could go back again in a heartbeat - but Fall for me would be better timing. My California blood is too thin to go there in December.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I had to do some errands for my wife that took me right by the coast so I took my camera. I got a few shots that I liked. I have to get ready to go out to dinner right now but here is one of them.

Hi Ron,

That is indeed a wonderful scene with the water crashing aganst the rocks and make that column of water and spray.

Asher

Last edited:

Ron Morse

Thanks everyone. It really pleases me that everyone likes it.

This is on the opposite side of the bay from Bar Harbor. If you stood on the wharf in Bar Harbor and looked down the wharf and over the island it would be on the opposite side from you. Its Schodic (spelling??) point. Actually a part of acadia nat. park that is little known. Very scenic.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Ron,

I have spent more time with your picture. This wonderful scene has 3 interesting parts, the sky, the hills and mountains at the horizon, the so very blue water and the unique rocky beach. An especially interesting feautre is the water column of water and spray but it is neither compelling in itself nor central to the sense of the picture as a whole. There is an apparent flatness and uniformity of light to the components which mask a measure of the beauty you present. So I wondered how your photgraph might look with some small changes to the sky, hills, water and rocks treated as individual parts. So I worked on each layer to try to optimize

dpp0010kg3 Ron Morse_AK_sharpened R Rocks_2.jpg

© 2007 Ron Morse edited with permission

And then rocks on the mid-right only have been emphasized with extra but parsimonious sharpening to hopefully anchor one's entrance to the picture and serve as a place from where the eye can explore! I hope these small changes add up to improveing the enjoyment of your picture!

Asher

Ron Morse

At first I did not see the subtle changes to the picture. Yes I do think that it adds to the picture. What else would you do to add to this picture if anything.

The RAW is available if anyone wants to work on it. It is uncropped.