• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax IstD

patrickt

I just thought I'd mention my equipment. I have the Pentax IstD with Pentax lenses: 35mm, 50mm f1.7, 50mm macro, 77mm, 125mm, 16mm-45mm, and 24mm-90mm.

The small size, light weight, and AA batteries made the Pentax a good choice for strolling in Oaxaca.

Kyle Nagel

Hi Patrick,

Nice to have you on board, sounds like like we'll get along just fine, I'm also shooting with a Pentax *istD, some of my equipment includes: Vertical battery grip, 20mm FA, 50mm 1.4 FA, 105mm 2.8 Macro, 300mm f4, 28-80mm, 1,4x teleconverter, AF140c ringlight, AF330FTZ, AF500FTZ, and the new AF540FGZ, plus a handful of other odds and ends. I used to own about a half a dozen other lenses, but they were all stolen along with my Pentax LX body and motor drive as well as a lot of other accessories, including the loss of my 50mm-A f1.2, a lens that I still miss to this day. I also have owned and used a Pentax 645nII medium format camera that I sold after going digital. I'm also looking forward to picking up the new Pentax 10 Megapixel body that they anticipate releasing this fall, it is currently planned to use the same sensor that is in Nikon's D200 and will have Anti-shake (Image stabilization) built into the body! Again welcome aboard and see you around the forums.

Kyle

Last edited:

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Ok Guys,
Since there are 2 pentax users so far here maybe you should rename it the "pentax and other SLR forum :)" Anyway, I would be interested to know why you chose pentax? Was it the lenses, the price, the viewfinder??
What were your reasons?

Kyle Nagel

dazaau said:
Ok Guys,
Since there are 2 pentax users so far here maybe you should rename it the "pentax and other SLR forum :)" Anyway, I would be interested to know why you chose pentax? Was it the lenses, the price, the viewfinder??
What were your reasons?

Well my decision was originally economic, but I have grown fond of Pentax and they do have some nice lenses if you know what you're after. My first camera was given to me as a gift in the early 80's, it was a Pentax ME Super, and within a short period of time I new I had bitten by the "bug" and upgraded to the Pentax LX, which by the way I think was one of the best 35mm pro-level cameras ever made. Many years later (late 90's) I became interested in medium format and since Pentax had a good name in the medium format field and their flashes, cables, and accessories would work on both the 35mm and medium format it made sense to go that route, later on my LX and about 7 lenses were stolen but I still had a lot of other Pentax gear including a Pentax 645nII. Now when I decided to go digital most manufacturers had only released 2 or 3 bodies, and only a couple very expensive options over 6 MP, even though Pentax had only just released the *istD which I felt was of the same quality and caliber as Nikon's and Canons 6 MP offerings, and though other camera makers had 2 or 3 offerings I assumed Pentax would follow suit and release some more advanced offerings soon in order to keep up with the "other guys". So I went with Pentax because I already owned a lot of Pentax gear that would work with their new digital body and planned on upgrading when they released something more advanced (read more megapixels). Unfortunately they went after the entry level market and new offerings were of lesser quality and features and they seamed to be avoiding the pro market altogether, which makes no sense at all, many of those "entry level" photographers may want to move up some day, then what? Well I was about 10 seconds from selling it all and buying a Canon when Pentax announced the new 10 MP DSLR, what's interesting is Pentax's first DSLR had the same sensor as the Nikon D100, and this new one will have the same sensor as the Nikon D200, just an odd note for those interested. I do like a lot of Pentax's higher-end lenses, and with all of the K-mount lenses that were made there there is a lot of used stuff available, as long as you stay away from all of the aftermarket junk that's also out there. Pentax has also just released a couple more entry level DSLRs recently, the K100D and the K110D, with the 100 being more advanced than the 110 ??? One nice feature on the new Pentax cameras is Image Stabilization built into the body, not the lens, it is available on the K100D and will be on the new 10MP as well.

Kyle

Last edited: