• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just how many 8x10 view cameras is too many?

Will Thompson

It seems to Me that when I lost count of the number I had I might have too many?????

Is this the kind of question that Jim Galli might best answer? Kind of like how many old brass lenses is to many?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The answer it 3. I haver 2, my new Chamonix from China and an Underwood rear sled camera from England that I have sworn to my wife I'll repair and it will easily pay for itself. A 3rd 8x10 will mean removal of my name from credit cards, a lock on the fridge and sand in my gas tank! Not worth the risk!

Asher

I've got a Gowland 8x10" Pocket View for the field and an 8x10" Sinar P for the studio, which seems to cover all my bases from the 8x10" perspective. If I were to get another one, it would replace one of the ones I have. I've also got some larger and some smaller large format cameras as well in other formats.

Jim Galli

Good AM all. I have 8 in all. My problem arises from the 2nd question about the lenses. I've been known to buy an entire 8X10 outfit to get the lens I want that is with it. Thus I have 3 #10A Century Studio cameras and will ultimately only keep one. I have 2 of the Eatman improved #2 7X11 / 8X10's, one waiting for me to build a bellows and it will be sold. Another Century 8X10 field camera with rotten bellows. My keepers that I have no plan of selling are the venerable Kodak 2D, it's companion in the studio Century #10A, an Eastman Improved #2 7X11 / 8X10 and a Deardorff.

Brass lenses: No current count and counting is pointless as they are in flux. You see out where I work there's these little green men...................ah, but that's another story.

Serge Berrut

Is this about the maths?

Hi,
I have two 4x5 cams, does it make a half 8x10?
And 10 lenses for each 4x5, If we cumulate the focal lengths and divide by the "normal" focal length for a 8x10, I have the equivalent of 6.35 normal lens. This means 6 lenses and one lens board. Am I in??

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just to get off topic a moment!

Serge, what kind of lenses do the little green men bring you. 10 each? Do you mean to say you have 2 different lensboards!!!! This is interesting!