• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

cf card image count

Hi,

I have a Canon 5D with Sandisk III 4Gb card, firmware 1.0.3. When formatted in the camera it tells me we have 248 images available (about 3 Gb).

After this number are used it tells me we have 56 left, and will go on taking images up to a total of 330 (3.9Gb).

Is this a known issue ?

Thanks, Tudor.

Nill Toulme

The camera's indication of number of images available is a conservative estimate. Both RAW and jpg are compressed formats, and different images compress differently.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Tom Yi

the 1D Mark II N would do the same thing.
On a 2GB card, it's say about 199 or so shots and I would regularly get more.

Tudor Caradoc-Davies said:
Hi,

I have a Canon 5D with Sandisk III 4Gb card, firmware 1.0.3. When formatted in the camera it tells me we have 248 images available (about 3 Gb).

After this number are used it tells me we have 56 left, and will go on taking images up to a total of 330 (3.9Gb).

Is this a known issue ?

Thanks, Tudor.

This is not an issue. Canon's RAW files are compressed. Hence, the initial shots remaining estimate is based upon worst case compression. I am not certain, but I suspect that images with large areas of defocus compress better than shots with everything in focus. I base this on my specious observation (i.e., I have not verified this) that I get more macros (lots of defocus) onto a 1 GB card than landscapes. But the cause could also be related to better compression of shadows where there is little detail too.

In other words, the estimate the camera gives is a worst case estimate. I have had 1 shot left, taken a shot, and had 1 shot left many times.

enjoy,

Sean

Thanks, all, makes sense.

My concern was an amazing event on Friday of a wild seal cornering and eating a salmon alongside the wall of our harbour in Dunedin, New Zealand, and I had just stopped to photograph some flowers. I took 250 images, and wouold have been mortified if the last two (salmon going down seal's throat) had been lost, but all is well.

Regards, Tudor.

Jon P. Ferguson

Not just 5D

As noted the 'number-of-shots' info is just an estimation. shooting a large multi colored flower bed will produce fewer shots than a subject with less color information.

Use the indicator as a general number rather than exact.

Sid Jervis

pro member
Eventually you will get used to the quantity of shots you can really get on a card, then you won't bother with looking at the count. If you are shooting sport or other subjects with natural breaks in the action, you may find changing cards early is a good option.

Erik DeBill

Sid Jervis said:
Eventually you will get used to the quantity of shots you can really get on a card, then you won't bother with looking at the count. If you are shooting sport or other subjects with natural breaks in the action, you may find changing cards early is a good option.

I can't imagine keeping mental count that long. I use 1 and 2 gig cards and end up checking the shots remaining indicator with moderate regularity.

Of course, with a 20D you get a lot more pauses, since the buffer is much smaller.

I second the early change recommendation, though. Especially when working wildlife - you never know when you'll get an extended bit of action and changing cards is a good way to miss shots.