• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Trees & the Motif of "Sky"!

Pablo Montes

n504515713_2648282_2581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Trees and Sky!

Look through your hard drive or go out and shoot. Find pictures that capture beauty. This is for no purpose other than enjoyment. So let's see your fun tree pics. If your picture happens to be unique, you may see it as part of a discussion or even a commentary in an article in the front of OPF with mention of your work!

However, here it's just for making it easy to post without thinking everything has to be good enough to sell. You won't get whacked over the head for breaking some rule. Here the only rule is that the picture should have in it sufficient to arouse some joy! We just want sharing and instant gratification! You may comment 10 words or less, on posted pics, so we keep things fast and informal

O.K. now let's see the trees! Just one at a time! Well, maybe two, but please no more!

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
OK, I'll offer one to kick this off. This is one of my personal favorites, although it's also an image that shows best when printed large.

103207689.jpg

It was about 15 deg. F when I shot this. I get cold just looking at these birds.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Two from me...

The first was taken whilst on holiday in Nimes in France. We had some Olive trees in the villa where we were staying and I wanted to fill the image with them - the camera ended up about 5 inches form the ground, with me lying on my front. Think I had a polarizer attached. The mistral was blowing, hence the movement in some of the leaves.

tree1_a_stannard.jpg

The second is from the end our our road at home. There is something that I like about this half dead tree, always seems to catch my eye when we go past. Am still waiting to catch it with our local sparrowhawk perched on top.

tree2_a_stannard.jpg

Lovely image Ken, how big have you had it printed?

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I would have guessed that the 2nd image was taken somewhere in Africa, Andrew. The posture of the clouds so nicely echo the posture of the trees. It's really beautiful...very calming. Yes, catching a bird profile perched near the top would add a different spice to the image. Although if the bird was perhaps a camouflaged surprise nearer to the foliage it would be even more interesting and less intrusive.

Lovely image Ken, how big have you had it printed?
Thank you, Andrew. The largest I've printed it is on a 17x22 sheet although I think it could go larger. There are actually other, much smaller, birds in the trees which only become apparent at larger print sizes. It's actually part of a series of ten images (to date), which I've not yet shown, of skeletal trees.

Here's another:
77114004.jpg

fahim mohammed

Andy, the second picture, specially, is excellent. love it.

Ken, can't open the first one, but love the second bw trees and mist.

Regards.

Ron Morse

These are trees not a tree, so I'm not sure if this belongs or not.

A tree lined back road near home.

mg0929bkt8.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ron: For almost 40 years I've wanted to visit Maine in the fall, but never have. Your image has rekindled that desire. I want to just hike down that road and hear the chilly breeze rustle the leaves.

fahim mohammed

Ron, I can just about feel the slightly chilly wind rustling the trees and leaves as I walk along the
path. Well done. I seem to always miss autumn during my visits.

Regards.

StuartRae

Two chosen from many.

First one taken several years ago with my Canon G5. Autumn colours on the shore of Derwent Water. Trees are all about shape and texture, so I don't mind that they're not in perfect focus.

trees-PM.jpg

Second one taken near Seathwaite (the wettest inhabited place in England). "I'm still standing after all this time"

dead-tree-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Quest for a lonely tree..

Autumn colours and mist make really lovely shots

img1161uo4.jpg

Learning to enhance the skies with IR..

Martin

Here are some trees (and sky)... This is a couple of years old, taken on a very cold, very clear winter day.

24899926.jpg

I just gave the camera this was taken with to a (hopefully) budding photographer.
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Flash Used No
Focal Length 18 mm
Exposure Time 1/125 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO Equivalent 200

Asher Kelman

Sensotic at the speed of light!

Pablo now gets the honor of heading this thread as I have been placing posts in single themes where they belong. His earlier post jumped to the top!

Uniquely, in "Themes", we keep to the topic and are brief: one great pic, maybe even 2 and comments ~ 12 words or less. In these threads the keys are speed and immediacy: sensotic beauty and pleasure!

Asher :)

Matt Suess

pro member
Here is one of my newest pieces, photographed last month in Colorado. This triptych is available in overall sizes up to 50"x70". It is a stitch of 5 separate images, and is titled "Dawn".

Dawn-triptych.jpg

Matt

Rachel Foster

I'm not sure if this has enough trees to count, but I like it. Shot earlier this evening. (Cropped only, no edits). ISO 400, f/8.0, 1/1250, 65mm.

pleasantsusnet-1.jpg

My favorite subject

This has to be my favorite tree anywhere. It is a huge, old oak that graces the grounds of the Glenwood Cemetery in Houston, TX. I have been many times and have taken hundreds of photos of it but still have never really captured it the way I have envisioned.

After Hurricane Ike blew through the Houston area two weeks ago, this tree was one of the first things I worried about. I had not heard a word about it. Yesterday I struck out before dawn to go there and see firsthand how the cemetery, and my tree, had faired. I took all of my gear but really I was just hoping to see it still standing. When I arrived, the front gates were closed and locked. The groundskeeper was at the gate in his truck. I pulled up to the gate to turn around and he got out of his truck and came to the gate. I did the same. I asked how things were inside and if I could come in for some photographs. He said sorry, the cemetery was still closed to the public because of the damage. There were many trees down, headstones and monuments disturbed and knocked over, and it was all still in the process of being cleaned up. I asked how the old oak was and whether it had made it through ok. He smiled and said yes, it had made it. I was very relieved and with that I got back in my truck and headed on to find something else to shoot. This tree is estimated to be between 600 and 800 years old. It has seen its share of mighty storms I am sure. I was so happy that it survived this one and would be around longer so I can try to get that shot I am looking for.

James Newman

cemeterytree4.jpg

Asher Kelman

These are trees not a tree, so I'm not sure if this belongs or not.

A tree lined back road near home.

mg0929bkt8.jpg

Ron,

This path through golden trees has colors of the fall and feeling of Sienna in italy in the evening. Yes, the light is golden there. However, would you ever consider replacing the sky to make it match the beauty below it?

The sky doesn't need to be too complicated. Here's the subsequent picture by Stuart,

First one taken several years ago with my Canon G5. Autumn colours on the shore of Derwent Water. Trees are all about shape and texture, so I don't mind that they're not in perfect focus.

trees-PM.jpg

As you can see the sky is mostly just intense blue (? Polarizer) and a wisp of cloud. The color palatte, however, is close to yours.

Asher

Last edited:

Ron Morse

Ron,

This path through golden trees has colors of the fall and feeling of Sienna in italy in the evening. Yes, the light is golden there. However, would you ever consider replacing the sky to make it match the beauty below it?

The sky doesn't need to be too complicated. Here's the subsequent picture by Stuart,

trees-PM.jpg

As you can see the sky is mostly just intense blue (? Polarizer) and a wisp of cloud. The color palatte, however, is close to yours.

Asher

I have no idea how to do it. If anyone feels like it go for it.

Asher Kelman

Here are some trees (and sky)... This is a couple of years old, taken on a very cold, very clear winter day.

24899926.jpg

I just gave the camera this was taken with to a (hopefully) budding photographer.
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Flash Used No
Focal Length 18 mm
Exposure Time 1/125 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO Equivalent 200

Duke!

The snow covered deciduous trees pull us into the picture. There's a path marked for us. The sky is blue and the shadows are long. The sun goes down (or rises) to our left and behind us. In front, the red of the sky might suggest pollution. So maybe a large metropolis is in that direction?

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Text as design features!

These pictures are remarkable for as they are, they would be great for starting some magazine story and there's place for text.
Here is one of my newest pieces, photographed last month in Colorado. This triptych is available in overall sizes up to 50"x70". It is a stitch of 5 separate images, and is titled "Dawn".

Dawn-triptych.jpg

Matt
I'm not sure if this has enough trees to count, but I like it. Shot earlier this evening. (Cropped only, no edits). ISO 400, f/8.0, 1/1250, 65mm.

pleasantsusnet-1.jpg

Clean, sparse and works. However like Matt, Rachel has a bold textual line of text. This cuts into the image composition. for security, consider that in one second, pasting the background color, the text will be gone! So why put it there.

Do as Antonio has done in the following picture: soft, subtle and at the edge!

Besides doing the labelling right, make sure one adds the © info in the IPTC file which you access via Photoshop top menu bar: File: File Info

Antonio,

Again a Sienna rich palette. The color of dry grass and the deep rich land is something I find compelling. Thanks!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

This has to be my favorite tree anywhere. It is a huge, old oak that graces the grounds of the Glenwood Cemetery in Houston, TX. I have been many times and have taken hundreds of photos of it but still have never really captured it the way I have envisioned.

After Hurricane Ike blew through the Houston area two weeks ago, this tree was one of the first things I worried about.

cemeterytree4.jpg

© James Newman Grand Old Oak, Glenwood Cemetery

This picture is well known to me and is burned into my brain. I remember we discussed it at length. This tree is a treasure. I'm glad it's safe! Thanks for the update.

Asher :)

Joe Russo

I took this a couple of years ago but it still remains one of my favorites.

original.jpg

Matt Suess

pro member
However like Matt, Rachel has a bold textual line of text. This cuts into the image composition. for security, consider that in one second, pasting the background color, the text will be gone! So why put it there...

...Besides doing the labelling right, make sure one adds the © info in the IPTC file which you access via Photoshop top menu bar: File: File Info

Asher

Hi Asher,

I label all of my online photos that way. I put my watermark on either the bottom left, bottom center, or bottom right (some photos I will put it along the top). While it would be harder to remove my visible watermark if I put it directly over the trees, it would make it even more difficult to view the photo and would be inconsistent with my other online photos.

As for security on the web - no such thing. Almost any watermark can be removed by a skilled user, disabling right-clicks can be circumvented with print screen, a painter can paint a version of your photo no matter how good a watermark you have, etc. And while adding the © info in IPTC is a good idea, that can be removed even easier than white text on a black background. If you post photos online, you have to assume they will/can be stolen.

Visible watermarking can be effective marketing however. Add a © with your name or website, place it along the edge of the photo and honest people will find your website that way. As for dishonest people - I don't have the time to worry about them considering how easy it is to grab online photos. Just post the photos in a small size and know that they won't be making any decent prints if they remove your watermark.

Matt Suess