• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Short time to the Time-Out when composing posts

Mary Bull

Could we have a little longer time before getting timed-out?

I need to be able to think for longer about what I'm trying to say, before being asked for my Real Name and password again.

Pretty please?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mary,

I'm not aware of any "time-out" as you post. You do have 1 hour for editing. Is that not enough time?

Try emptying the cache of your webbrowser.

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Mary,

I'm not aware of any "time-out" as you post. You do have 1 hour for editing. Is that not enough time?

Try emptying the cache of your webbrowser.

Asher

Thanks for the reply, Asher.

It happened to me yesterday, and again today, when I clicked on Preview after writing a several-paragraph post. Yesterday upon logging back in, I found all my composition was lost.

Today, I logged back in and used my browser's back-button and had my composed text available.

Maybe it's a bug in Preview?

My browser is Opera 9. It's set to clear the cache automatically upon close.

It was my post to Dierk's "Critics..." thread in Layback Cafe on which I used the Preview button.

This post went just fine. Still think it's the cache?

As a test, I'll push the Preview button with this before sending.

Nope, couldn't reproduce.

It's probably something with my browser, as you say.

Sorry to bother you, and thanks for running such a great website.

Asher Kelman

Hi Mary,

When I am going to be away from my desk, I transfer my incomplete posts to a Stickie pist-it type yellow note on my desktop on my Mac. I sometime compose larger posts in Microsoft Word anyway to do a spell check, not for fear of losing things. One can always save before leaving the computer as it could crash just due to bad luck or a power outage.

However, I think the issue you have is one of a quirk in your browser perhaps.

I really don't want to get into a discussion of much longer times because the whole point of OPF is an expert-seeded forumas, where contributions are not rendered worthless by some action down the road. I'd prefer private emails. Until I can get more advanced programming, to set edit time to the stop after the first reply, one hour is itself very long for a website. Private messages to me are fine.

I am seeing a number of times where content and meaning has been stripped, either because it was great and could be published as part of some more substantial article, because it was inaccurate or because someone had a high voltage brain wave.

Whatever the reason, as soon as someone has answered, then the post is sacrocanct to OPF.

Now, Mary, in your case, write to me at w84u at(replace with @) mac.com and I'll try to find out how to make this work for you!

Asher

Last edited:

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
[...] I already pointed out why I don't see we need a time limit at all. Granted, people need to be a little disciplined [active and passive].

I am seeing a number of times where content and meaning has been stripped, either because it was great and could be published as part of some more substantial article, because it was inaccurate or because someone had a high voltage brain wave.

I have used, and will do so in the future, my own content on fora of any kind for articles. As I explained before, if one regards himself as dishonest by deleting or even changing something he wrote without making a note in his message, it will flop one day. People will pick up on it and shun the sinner.

Here's just two examples how this worked in days of printing: Sir Karl Popper's Open Society and Logik der Forschung/Logic of Scientific Discovery have been altered by him on several occasions to adapt them to criticism or newly found results. In every case he took note of it in the ensuing edition. Logic, of which only the first edition was written in German, later ones were English, in particular benefitted from his technique.
Dierk,

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Mary,
<snipped by Mary>
However, I think the issue you have is one of a quirk in your browser perhaps.
<snipped by Mary, but points taken and reasonable they are, indeed>
Now, Mary, in your case, write to me at w84u at(replace with @) mac.com and I'll try to find out how to make this work for you!

Asher

Asher,

E-mail on the way.

And thanks a million!

Asher Kelman

Dierk Haasis said:
Asher Kelman said:
[...]..............I have used, and will do so in the future, my own content on fora of any kind for articles. As I explained before, if one regards himself as dishonest by deleting or even changing something he wrote without making a note in his message, it will flop one day. People will pick up on it and shun the sinner.

Here's just two examples how this worked in days of printing: Sir Karl Popper's Open Society and Logik der Forschung/Logic of Scientific Discovery have been altered by him on several occasions to adapt them to criticism or newly found results. In every case he took note of it in the ensuing edition. Logic, of which only the first edition was written in German, later ones were English, in particular benefitted from his technique.
Dierk,
Not wanting to correct you, but unfortunately, from what I have witnessed, even erudite posts have been removed by helpful people!

Not a lot of Dierk's or Sir Karl Poppers here. I'm afraid.

However, I do agree that such responsible editing is fine. I myself corrected my pist-it to Post-it© once you pointed it out and credited you for hte correction.

I have a goal of devising better solutions to editing times and editing a major initial post and for now, please do the following

1. Edit withing the first hour.

2 Make a corrective post, if necessary and in it ask me modify the orginal post accordingly, if you are comfotable to do that.

3. In an important but long thread, start a new thread, ie a PART II, summarizing briefly the previous discussion and add a link at the end of the current thread to the new thread.

I'd like to receive all ideas on this at w84u at mac.com so I can put them in one folder to design improved solutions.

Thanks for the input,

Asher

Dave New

I've suffered from being timed out, even if I don't preview the post, but just hit submit. In general, I've been able to retrieve my post, by complete re-logging in, and then using the back button to back a couple of pages and then clicking 'submit'.

This is abnormal behavior for me, as I post on other forums and don't encounter the problem. I don't wish to click the 'remember me' button as others may have access to this computer from time to time, so I don't wish to cache my site credentials in the cookies.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Dave New said:
I don't wish to click the 'remember me' button as others may have access to this computer from time to time, so I don't wish to cache my site credentials in the cookies.

This may actually be the solution for Mary, checking 'Remember me' when logging in.

Asher Kelman

Hi Dave,

Let's have Nicolas and Michael trouble shoot this. Meanwhile, a suggestion and several questions.

First work in the "go advanced box". It seems, to me at least, to be much more bullet proof. For some reason, posting a quick reply might be more error prone, or else may be susceptible to specifics of browser settings.

Next, could you PM Nicolas with the circumstances in which the time out occurred:

Browser and version?

Is this a new problem?

How often amongst the times you tried to post?

How long are you writing before this happens?

Meanwhile I'll extend one setting that defines the time after which the post is considered not new but being edited.

Asher