• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon EOS 400D specs leaked?

Pat Yuen

A few forum members over at DPreview.com spotted this page on Canon's China web site. I had a chance to look at it before it was pulled and I can confirm that it was indeed on Canon China's site. The original url was http://www.canon.com.cn/... .../canon/news/backend_news_detail.jsp?id=2319

No one knows for sure if it's authentic but it being on Canon's site does bring some credibility to the table. I find it odd that the control knob would be on the right side instead of the left making it look more like a 350D instead of a 30D. I'm not sure if this camera is targeted as an upgrade for the 350D.
Here's the google translation from the original page. Make up your own mind.

http://www.patyuen.com/digital/400dleak.htm
--
http://www.PatYuen.com

The 50mm f/1.2L seems like a far more interesting product, to me at least...
fingers crossed it is better/as good as the 1.4 - a weather sealed 50mm at last.

Andrew Rodney

Looks like it's a replacement for the 350.

There are rumors of a 3D as well (I really hate these rumors but I"m staying on top of them since last week I moved up from my 350 to a 5D. If something like a 5D comes out, which I kind of doubt, I'll be pissed).

Jason C Doss

There are ALWAYS rumors of a 3D. I hope now that the 350 has an upgrade that is specked out better than the 30D that we will see an upgrade soon in that camera class. 10MP doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but lower noise and expanded dynamic range do... hope to see this in a 30D upgrade on the next go-round.

You don't say!

Peter Galbavy said:
The 50mm f/1.2L seems like a far more interesting product, to me at least...
fingers crossed it is better/as good as the 1.4 - a weather sealed 50mm at last.

I agree, this lens is smoking!!!

I only hope they don't charge as much as they did for that 85mm f/1.2 ..:-(

I agree!

Frank Werner said:
finally Canon starts to incorporate a Dust Removal system.

DR system would be a very welcome addition to the lineup, since it seems to me one of the major design flaws...
I wonder why don't they come out with some sort of a airlock system.. When you remove the lens, the system would cover the sensor/mirror compartment with a sealed door. You put the lens back, it kinda clears the area and opens the compartment...
Can it really be that hard??

Sid Jervis

pro member
Andrew Rodney said:
Looks like it's a replacement for the 350.

There are rumors of a 3D as well (I really hate these rumors but I"m staying on top of them since last week I moved up from my 350 to a 5D. If something like a 5D comes out, which I kind of doubt, I'll be pissed).

Andrew, I can't watch you suffer..........

But ......

No comment !

Stan Jirman

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
DR system would be a very welcome addition to the lineup, since it seems to me one of the major design flaws...

Hardly a design flaw - since there isn't fresh film coming in all the time, dust will eventually collect.

I wonder why don't they come out with some sort of a airlock system.. When you remove the lens, the system would cover the sensor/mirror compartment with a sealed door. You put the lens back, it kinda clears the area and opens the compartment...*Can it really be that hard??

I assume you aren't an engineer. Have you ever tried to build an airlock? Can you imagine how expensive and big that thing would be? The membrane or whatever that would be blocking the opening would have to go somewhere when a lens is attached. Plus, more importantly, what about the dust that would collect _while_ a lens is attached? While this whole "dust pump" stuff is mostly a legend (just like the suckiness of the 400DO lens), most lenses do have an internal air opening between the mount and the rear-most lens element, and thus dust can come in thru the lens. Even internal focusing & zooming lenses move air, and it has to come from / go somewhere.

Stan,

Stan Jirman said:
...I assume you aren't an engineer ...

I am, in fact. Not a mechanical one, though :)

If things are as tough as you describe, how come advanced P&S (or, simply put, fixed lens) cameras do not have such a huge problem with dust? They also have some quite complicated lenses on board, why don't they suffer nearly as much?

I never mentioned an "air-tight" lock. Only something that would decrease dust accumulation, say 10 or 50 times compared to an "unprotected" sensor nowadays. I don't mind cleaning the sensor once a year, it's cleaning it after each weekend when I change the lenses rapidly that kinda gets old fast.

Of course having multiple bodies (and using them in a fixed lens manner) can help, too, but unfortunately I'm not that rich yet :)

Cheers! :)

Stan Jirman

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
If things are as tough as you describe, how come advanced P&S (or, simply put, fixed lens) cameras do not have such a huge problem with dust?

Even with maximum lens extension they displace a fraction of air of a DSLR lens. You don't need to have a 100-400L to be blowing a lot of air - the 70-200/2.8 is another candidate for a big pump that just doesn't look like one. My favorite counter-example is the 28-300LIS, which has huge displacement but the last lens element is right at the mount so no air gets actually pumped into the camera.

Also, rumor has it that the small cameras have a filter further away from the sensor; therefore, anything that falls on it doesn't really show up on the image. A dust speck on the sensor vs. 2mm away from it is a big difference.

Finally, most P&S shooters don't change their lenses all that often - basically, they have a dedicated lens for each P&S camera. See, you don't have to be that rich to achieve this status :)

Stan,

I see and understand your point about lens itself being pumping air in and out, but let's forget about long tele zoom glass for a second and concentrate on the lens-changing area.

Is it really a such a tough challenge to protect the mirror/sensor compartment from being directly exposed during the (lens) changing times? I'm definitely not an expert in fine mechanics but I've seen some pretty neat contraptions in my life... So while I personally can't make them, I hope I kinda have a ballpark idea about what's possible and what's not...

It seems that all major manufacturers initially simply substituted the film with the sensor and went on with it. I mean, there are a lot of cool things in dSLRs like LCD, browsing, etc., but, be honest, the whole mirror/sensor compartment has been left pretty much unchanged from the film times.

Reminds me of the hand (not foot) "hand brake" lever you can find even in the most modern cars. You know where that thing came from, don't you;-)

The reason I'm saying this that recently ALL the top dogs all of a sudden started paying attention to this issue. I guess before they all had a bigger fish to fry (ISO, resolution, dynamic range, startup/lag speed, buffer size/speed, usability, etc.). Henceforth I think that this issue becoming a major drag and they cannot ignore "the dust factor" any longer...

Just my 0.00002 of the f/stop...

Tom Wilk

Not attemping to change the subject back to the original, but I think that it's pretty much all over the 'net by now - the specs on the 400D (possibly the Rebel XTi in the US) are out:

10.1 mpx APS-C sensor
sensor dust-removal system
picture styles
2.5" real LCD
3 frames per second up to 10 RAW and XX JPG (can't remember the JPG rating)

Frankly, it sounds like a very good upgrade to the XT.

Other products to be announced are the 50 mm f/1.2L lens and a 70-200 f/4 IS lens.

Rumours are popping up on a 1D Mk III camera (with 22 mpx), a 200/1.8 IS lens, and a 100-400 f/4 IS telezoom. None are confirmed, and I'd grab a huge grain of salt before even pondering these 3 items.

Pat Yuen

All this speculation about the 400D/XTi should be all over by this time tomorrow. The leak in the Canon China site was dated Aug 24.

Frank Werner

but it seems that the 200 1.8 stays a dream... this was the only lens of the leaked lineup i was keen of. And now this one is not coming..