• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Holmes Working Spaces

Harvey Moore

I have read several very positive comments about the Joseph Holmes working spaces. He has released some new ones.

http://www.josephholmes.com/profiles.html

After reading about them on his web site, I think I want either DCam 4 or Chroma variant #9 for ProPhoto RGB. I usually convert with ACR into ProPhoto, 16 bit from my 5D files.

I use PS CS2/ACR almost exclusively, but I am also working with Lightroom and so far I am impressed with the raw conversion control in LR. With this in mind, maybe Chroma Varient #9 is best.

Am I right that the 29 variants are basically tone curves to be used as starting points for editing ?

Obviously I could use a little help from the members here that use the Holmes Working Spaces.

Thanks for your input on this.

harvey

Last edited:

Andrew Rodney

Considering you use either Lightroom or ACR and neither allow you direct conversion to these Holms profiles, how are they going to be useful for you?

Andrew Rodney

You mean this:

"One more important detail: don't forget that some RAW converters (Adobe Camera Raw v3 and Canon's DPP v2, for example) do not allow you to choose your own working space into which to convert from the built-in camera profile. Capture One, RAW Developer, and Raw Shooter all do, and hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see Canon and Adobe open up to user choice of working spaces. If you are forced to convert into Adobe RGB or ProPhoto upon leaving ACR, then your best bet will usually be to stay in that space, and avoid the further conversion into one of my spaces."

First of all, you're NOT going to see the selection of additional working space's in either LR or ACR, at least not for a very, very long time I predict. In fact, you'll notice that LR has one less working space option!

Did I miss something here? Seems that Joe is saying, if you're using ACR or LR, stick with the available working spaces they provide.

Harvey Moore

Outside of Adobe PS and DPP, his workspaces install as a direct raw conversion option, it is explained on his site somewhere.

The technique to use them in Photoshop is covered in the faq sheet I referenced.

I am using Adobe PS CS2 as my main conversion and editing program. I will never use C1, don't ask for details, but it best described by an old southern adage, "There is no education in the second kick of the mule"

The reason I posted as I did was for advice from anyone using it in PS.

I will e-mail Joseph for his recommendation, purchase it it, and describe my impressions here after using for a while.

I first ran across reference to this last year sometime, and my links and e-mails did not survive a crash induced system rebuild. At that time, Joseph said to wait for his new release, which just happened.

Andrew Rodney

Outside of ACR, DDP (I assume, will not touch it) and ACR, I'd expect any converter that can handle ICC profiles would allow you to use these profiles. And ideally you'd encode into his spaces from the RAW files. But in ACR and LR, not possible and I really doubt you'll ever see this. I would highly question the use of going from say ProPhoto RGB to one of Joe's profiles and apparently he feels the same way. Hence the hope that someday, ACR will allow you to apply outside ICC profiles (don't hold your breath).

I have enormous respect for both Joe's work and technical abilities (heck, he's interviewed in my book) but I suspect he and I are saying the same thing here which is, if you're using ACR (and LR), you're out of luck using these profiles. Of course it's not impossible just as it's not impossible to build a custom ICC camera profile "on top" of ACR's rendered images. It's just real counter productive and isn't how the product was designed.

RAW Developer is a real nice product and or course, you can use Joe's profiles there since its "open" to outside profiles.

Stephen_Pace

Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB

Joe also created Variants for Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB. These are listed on the pages announcing the new colorspaces. He states he did this for the issues you all are discussing.

I've used his Ekta and Chrome sets with great sucess.

Stephen

Alain Briot

pro member
Stephen_Pace said:
Joe also created Variants for Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB. These are listed on the pages announcing the new colorspaces. He states he did this for the issues you all are discussing.

I've used his Ekta and Chrome sets with great sucess.

Stephen

Yes, Joe's new color spaces solve these problems. You can also convert to Pro Photo or Adobe RGB then use chroma variants for these colorspaces without converting.