• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A vertical pano of a New York City Street

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ok back to topic now!
Where Asher did you get that Mercator representation?

I checked auotpano pro website and the version is the same as many months ago: 1.4.2
This version has "only" Cylender, spherical and linear. But no Mercator!

nicolas claris

Please Cem, pardon me!

Mon New-York à moi ! (but I truly and honestly prefer Cem's)

2 Iphone pics, shot handheld (I don't have the RRS adaptor for the Iphone! LoL!), automatically found by APP… 2 minutes PP in CS4…

NYC2008IPHONE_3139x1496_SCUL-Smartblend.jpg

Shot last October during the *black* stockmarket week…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ok back to topic now!
Where Asher did you get that Mercator representation?

I checked auotpano pro website and the version is the same as many months ago: 1.4.2
This version has "only" Cylender, spherical and linear. But no Mercator!
It was made by one of the two Authors of APPro, Lionel, who was visiting, so I mailed him Cem's images and Voila, the projection. It comes from AutopanoPro 2.0 or the Giga Version, described here in the APPro forum. It's confusing as this is not visible on the Kolor or main APPro website.

There's a feature by feature Comparison chart in that link, but the key is that almost everything you could ask for is in version 2.0. Support for various electric pano heads including GigaPan and Merlin is standard. Autopano-giga adds

• Claus and Pixoprb electric pano head support
  • Extended HDR support
  • Fusion of bracketed images
  • Extended Flash support
  • Visual tour customization of hot spots and edition of hotspots
  • Workspace saving for workgroups

Here's the upgrade policy:

upgrade-policy-app-apg.jpg

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher, Nicolas,

Honestly, I liked the mercator version very much until I saw it next to my original version. Then I've realized why I went for the spherical projection to start with. When I look at that version on the screen at full size, the eye is seeing only a horizontal part at a time. As such, the curvature of the buildings almost disappear. Also, looking at the immersive details the first projection is better than Mercator. I really dislike the lower right hand side of the Mercator one since the road is raised to a higher level and the cars are much bigger than they ought to be. It diminishes the vertigo effect IMO. In the end, it is a matter of personal taste and mine is leaning towards the original version, thanks to Nicolas for showing the pictures next to each other and thus making me realize it.

Cheers,
As the original poster of this thread, I would appreciate it if some on-topic reactions could be provided to this post of mine quoted above before we turn this into a thread entirely about APP. What I'm trying to say is that although the tools are important, the thread is primarily about this specific photograph.

You see, this is the kind of diversion we often get in various threads and I can imagine that it can be disheartening to the original posters of those threads.

Cheers,

Klaus Esser

pro member
As the original poster of this thread, I would appreciate it if some on-topic reactions could be provided to this post of mine quoted above before we turn this into a thread entirely about APP. What I'm trying to say is that although the tools are important, the thread is primarily about this specific photograph.

You see, this is the kind of diversion we often get in various threads and I can imagine that it can be disheartening to the original posters of those threads.

Cheers,

Hi Cem!

I understand. But sometimes one has to see the peripherals to find a way - and for that reason you have to see different examples.
That´s what i think.

The items we´re talking about ARE related to YOUR picture - they´re about kinds of projections and how to deal with them.

best, Klaus

nicolas claris

Hi Cem
I asked you to pardon me! (post #32) for the "Iphone" post…

But First, in post #31 I requested some infos about the Mercator projection in APP as it seemed (and got revealed later) that this is not an option now (at least on Mac and only as a beta on Windows).

So in CLOSE relation to the discussion about YOUR picture, I thought (and still think) it was/is relevant to establish that the Mercator technology used is not at everyone disposal yet…

Now, you have told us in your post #26 that thanks to the discussion you've made-up your choice! so while waiting to see here a pic showing your print on your wall, we had a little chat… A question of filling the time while we're waiting!
In a way, we're waiting in your room for the dinner to be served!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem!

I understand. But sometimes one has to see the peripherals to find a way - and for that reason you have to see different examples.
That´s what i think.

The items we´re talking about ARE related to YOUR picture - they´re about kinds of projections and how to deal with them.

best, Klaus
Hi Klaus,

Surely you must realize that I am capable of deciding what is on-topic here? The discussions re. the kinds of projections were started by me and they are entirely on topic as you also point out to! As a matter of fact, I have posted examples of three different projections to start the discussion. So I don't have any issues with those and I agree with your statements. What I'm saying is that the discussions such as the versions of APP and whether it runs on Mac or not are not on-topic. And you (or somebody else) did not answer my question yet. Ironic?!

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...So in CLOSE relation to the discussion about YOUR picture, I thought (and still think) it was/is relevant to establish that the Mercator technology used is not at everyone disposal yet…

Now, you have told us in your post #26 that thanks to the discussion you've made-up your choice! so while waiting to see here a pic showing your print on your wall, we had a little chat… A question of filling the time while we're waiting!
In a way, we're waiting in your room for the dinner to be served!
Hi Nicolas,

The mercator projection might not be available for APP yet but it is for PT Gui Pro which I have used and posted an example of it in my post number 9 above.

I am glad that you have seen my post #26. Nevertheless, I haven't received any reaction to that post. Instead, the discussion takes off in all kinds of directions. Now how disappointing can this get?

nicolas claris

Cem
I think we posted in the same time and I guess you haven't seen/read my answer about APP in this thread…

As to your question, sorry but I can't see it any there…:
Hi Asher, Nicolas,

Honestly, I liked the mercator version very much until I saw it next to my original version. Then I've realized why I went for the spherical projection to start with. When I look at that version on the screen at full size, the eye is seeing only a horizontal part at a time. As such, the curvature of the buildings almost disappear. Also, looking at the immersive details the first projection is better than Mercator. I really dislike the lower right hand side of the Mercator one since the road is raised to a higher level and the cars are much bigger than they ought to be. It diminishes the vertigo effect IMO. In the end, it is a matter of personal taste and mine is leaning towards the original version, thanks to Nicolas for showing the pictures next to each other and thus making me realize it.

Cheers,

Klaus Esser

pro member
What I'm saying is that the discussions such as the versions of APP and whether it runs on Mac or not are not on-topic. And you (or somebody else) did not answer my question yet. Ironic?!

Hi Cem!

If you may take a closer look, i reported how i myself dealt with the problem of extreme wideangle distortion. Isn´t that an answer or not . . ;-) !?
The versions of APP is important too in that case: they plan to include Mercator- and Orthogonalprojection in one of the upcoming versions.
Especially regarding your theme at least i find that not very OT . . :)

Also it seems to me not completely unimportant to know in that given context on which machine upcomimg versions will run or not - sorry.

best, Klaus

Well, the Mercator projection seems more accurate and more "dramatic". I don't need the clouds, the image is standing by itself IMO.
One can feel looking down the street/image botom that one can get vertigo!
BUT
I also do like the first Cem's attempt. It is not accurate, it has it own deformation, but I feel that the intent is/was not show a perfect image, clean, straight, vertical and arcitecturely correct!
I liked at first sight this impression of the building walls sucking-up my eyes… I felt I shared the same emotion as the photog…
Sometimes imperfection tells more than perfection…

I agree with Nicolas. Personally I like the original projection better. To me, the Mercator projection is useful for saving an Ultra Wide Angle scene. A rectilinear projection is the only one that keeps straight lines straight, which is useful for architecture. The Mercator projection of this vertical pano inevitably leaves some distortion, which is a distraction as far as I'm concerned.

In Cem's first image there is no attempt to get the geometry correct, it would be virtually impossible to do that anyway. Instead, Cem capitalized on the vertigo effect with the street vanishing in the distance, below the observer. I prefer the abstraction that the curved lines bring.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

I agree with Nicolas. Personally I like the original projection better. To me, the Mercator projection is useful for saving an Ultra Wide Angle scene. A rectilinear projection is the only one that keeps straight lines straight, which is useful for architecture. The Mercator projection of this vertical pano inevitably leaves some distortion, which is a distraction as far as I'm concerned.

In Cem's first image there is no attempt to get the geometry correct, it would be virtually impossible to do that anyway. Instead, Cem capitalized on the vertigo effect with the street vanishing in the distance, below the observer. I prefer the abstraction that the curved lines bring.

Bart
Exactly! Bart has expressed what I tried to say in my infamous post #26 above much better than I did. And this is the kind of on-topic reaction I have been wanting to get (and I would be equally happy even if Bart disagreed completely with me).

Cheers,

Klaus Esser

pro member

Hi!

The problem of ALL "effects" is that they´re lrarely asting long positively - especially when being printed big and hanging on a wall. The "fisheye" effect in my personal view (!) is one which is impressing for a time - but not for long, i mean.
This is a very interesting photography anyway, i mean. Does it need the effect? I think: not really.

Maybe that´s a puristic view - i like the almost straight one better and would prefer the more strong "graphical" impression of a completely straight one.

As is said: that´s a very personal view - just related to the projection-discussing.

The picture is great as it is!

best, Klaus

Cem_Usakligil

Hi!

The problem of ALL "effects" is that they´re lrarely asting long positively - especially when being printed big and hanging on a wall. The "fisheye" effect in my personal view (!) is one which is impressing for a time - but not for long, i mean.
This is a very interesting photography anyway, i mean. Does it need the effect? I think: not really.

Maybe that´s a puristic view - i like the almost straight one better and would prefer the more strong "graphical" impression of a completely straight one.

As is said: that´s a very personal view - just related to the projection-discussing.

The picture is great as it is!

best, Klaus
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for this reaction of yours, it is the kind of reaction I was looking for and it adds immense value to the discussion. I am glad to hear about your experience with the longevity of a "gimmick", which may not be very long. This is excellent advice and I will definitely think about it seriously.

If you may take a closer look, i reported how i myself dealt with the problem of extreme wideangle distortion. Isn´t that an answer or not . . ;-) !?
I am sorry I have failed to react to this tip of yours earlier. It was, again, a very valuable tip and I have already planned having a go at it for some other pano's I am considering to do.

Cheers,

Cem, though your image does not work for me personally from an artistic or technical perspective (but this is a personal thing) what I do love is (as Asher mentioned) the disorienting vertigo effect you create through the curved lines, causing the eye to look up and down, and then realise "eek! I am high above the street, I could fall!".

Very very interesting as a study of how the eye moves in an image, and the feelings that movement creates afterwards. Unless, of course, that is just (again) me... :)