• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OPF Shooting Groups: L.A. & Silicon Valley-San Francisco kick off! More to come!

Brian Lowe

OPF Shooting Groups: L.A. & Silicon Valley-S.F. kick off! OPF/Paris More to come!

How about starting a local OPF LA shooting group
photo.gif
?

How about getting together with other local OPF members, monthly or bi-monthly meet & Shoots
9496500-Ti.gif
around different parts of LA ?

Any thoughts, comments or ideas on starting something like this?

Anyone interested?

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Brian Lowe said:
photo.gif
?

How about getting together with other local OPF members, monthly or bi-monthly meet & Shoots
9496500-Ti.gif

Anyone interested?

Brian
Brian,

Great, you're on to it. So far then we've set up two groups. OPF/LA and OPG/Silicon Valley-San Fransisco.

Our idea is to have photoshoots once a month. Ours will start with Gourmet sandwiches and Bordeaux wine.

The latter in honor of Nicolos who started the tradition. In fact the rule has to be, a toast to each other with Bordeaux wine at least once a year! :)

We'll set up a gallery here for the pictures and also have forward shooting challenges for each shoot.

I'm also looking into some model shoots in Los Angeles. with setups with lights, crew and of course models.

Please add your ideas and willingness to help set up an OPF group wherever you are so we can have forward shooting opportunities. We'll help you set up.

All the etiquette and drive of OPF should be the guide, so no one has to think anything up. No teachers, just exhange of ideas and experience and fun. A high class, low cost, escape from everything. This is for the free side of life, to explore beyond our boundries.

So we'll set up a new Forum with rooms for each local group. We'll get input from everyone and present a design of the pages and start announcing the first shoots.

Please PM me with offers to volunteer for this effort wherever you are.

I'm going to restart this thread in the new Forum for OPF/Shooters. For now, answer here! Thanks Brian for taking up the challenge. With Nikolai here too (we just annexed Thousand Oaks 22 minutes from L.A. at 80 m.p.h.), we're off to a great start.

Mike Spinak will kick off the OPF/Silcon Valley-S.F. group. (He is getting better and his case will be used for teaching doctors in Stanford for a long time to come.)

So thanks Brian, Nikolai and Mike!

We're in for great pictures and lots of fun!

Asher

Funny that you said that :)

Brian Lowe said:
photo.gif
?

9496500-Ti.gif

Anyone interested?

Brian

I guess Asher has the same thoughts, and so do I :)
mwink.gif

I think a nicely arranged and planned monthly shoot would be great.
Weekly feels too much, for me that is. I just spent two weekends in a row shootings and now I feel exhausted. No time to properly process, to think, to relax, to do something else...

I say: "Let's do it!"! :)
15524779-Ti.gif

One other helpful thing

In the main top navigation bar of the forums there is a Calendar. This could be a great handy feature to post and keep the schedule of the upcoming events, since it's always just one click away :)

Asher Kelman

Simple and great! We'll talk Nikolai and meet with Brian. I may come up to OPF/Slicon Valley-S.F. for the first shoot with Mike, Bordeaux wine, guess today, we'll have to buy in S.F. as it can't be on the plane!

Asher

Asher Kelman

O.K. guys, now the fun.

OPF is initiating the first of a bunch of OPF shooter groups.

We have the core for groups in Los Angeles region and The Silocon Valley-San francisco Area, with key organizing in each area.

OPF/LA: Brian Lowe, Nicolai and myself

OPF/Silicon Valley-San Francisco: Michael Spinak

Initiation everywhere must be with a toast with Bordeaux Wine! I'll provide the first bottles :)

Asher

This thread will be sticky and updated in this post to have all new info on groups everywhere. A.K.

Ray West

Asher,

You've mentioned 'wine' in every post here, more than what you're actually gonna shoot. I'm suspicious of your motives...
icon12.gif

Maybe we should do something this side of the pond...

Best wishes,

Ray

Mike Spinak

pro member
As has already been mentioned, I'm in for the Silicon Valley/SF/SJ group. I hope to be recuperated enough to go out shooting within a couple weeks. Until then, I'm already nearly recuperated enough to meet other photographers in a cafe for meeting and a snack.

By the way, I'm originally from the L.A. area, and I still have family down there whom I visit, so I may be able to make it for some meetings of the L.A. group, too.

Cheers,

Mike

www.mikespinak

Asher Kelman

Yes wine for Somerset too! Otherwise how can you focus? We have to start with style!

Asher :)

Last edited:
Yay!

Asher Kelman said:
O.K. guys, now the fun.
OPF is initiating the first of a bunch of OPF shooter groups.
We have the core for groups in Los Angeles region and The Silocon Valley-San francisco Area, with key organizing in each area.
OPF/LA: Brian Lowe, Nicolai and myself
OPF/Silicon Valley-San Francisco: Michael Spinak
Initiation everywhere must be with a toast with Bordeaux Wine! I'll provide the first bottles :)
Asher
This thread will be sticky and updated in this post to have all new info on groups everywhere. A.K.
OK, LA, here we go!!!
So, Labor Day Shootout? ;-)

Asher Kelman

Well Nicolas you'll have to set up OPF/Bordeaux shooter's group. That's where we had the first toast! When you do, I'm an honorary member, Le Grand monsieur, sans doubt!

You will join us anyway in our OPF shoot in November. PM me that dates!!! :)

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher
I think it's time for you to post a photo of the 1st OPF meeting we held together in Bordeaux with magnificient 2003 Bordeaux wine!

nicolas claris

Asher Kelman said:
You will join us anyway in our OPF shoot in November. PM me that dates!!! :)
Asher
It will be during the first 10 days of Nov.
--------
I'm afraid I'll be lonesome for the Bordeaux OPF group, but I know many that would join for the wine!

Asher Kelman

Nicolas Claris said:
--------
I'm afraid I'll be lonesome for the Bordeaux OPF group, but I know many that would join for the wine!
Great, Nicolas, I'll brush up my French. If the Bordeaux group meets first next year and has a photo trip all the way Spain, we'll join you! That's four already!

Asher

Nicolas,

Nicolas Claris said:
Would you like to set a Calendar event?
Even if you're not sure about the exact dates, it allows to set the range :)

Nicolas Claris said:
You can probably start the OPF/France then, and then see if you need more branches. After all, as we just discussed, anything in Europe is so close :)
yelrotflmao.gif

Just an idea...

Asher Kelman

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:

You can probably start the OPF/France then, and then see if you need more branches. After all, as we just discussed, anything in Europe is so close :)
yelrotflmao.gif

Just an idea...

We already have OPF/Paris, details shortly :)

Asher

nicolas claris

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
yelrotflmao.gif

Just an idea...
Bonjour Nikolai
I'm still not 100% sure of the period, so it is IMO a bit too early! thanks for the suggestion though.
And for the OPF/France, I'm affraid I couldn't spend enough time...
Time will tell!

EDIT: However, might try to make it to the Paris group when I can

Last edited:

Brian Lowe

Wow, this is wonderful I look forward to meeting all the LA OPF members.
Let's pick a date for the first LA OPF outing, I am not much of a wine drinker though
boozer.gif
diet coke for me please with my Gourmet sandwiches
DukeGirl.gif

And I love the idea of No teachers, just exchange of ideas and experience and fun, its all good.

I am IN what do you need me to do? LA OPF here I come, I am all ears
ear.gif

Brian
cheerleader.gif

Asher Kelman

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
I'll gladly imbibe your share :)

I've checked the LA Times Calendar and LA Community Calendar, it looks like there are a few things to do in LA next weekend (wood carwing festivals, some beach fairs, etc.), however I'm sure that Asher can find us something very special :)

Nikolai,

We'll start well. It's not necessary to actually drink the Bordeaux, just clear your mind of all distractions, lift up your glass and toast with it, but pause a while. For here, the pleasure starts even as you just hold it before you.

Let the noblest of all grapes, display its tannic backbone and intrigue you; complex aromas of cherries and then hand the drink to me. I'll know what to do next.

Asher

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Nikolai,

We'll start well. It's not necessary to actually drink the Bordeaux, just clear your mind of all distractions, lift up your glass and toast with it, but pause a while. For here, the pleasure starts even as you just hold it before you.

Let the noblest of all grapes, display its tannic backbone and intrigue you; complex aromas of cherries and then hand the drink to me. I'll know what to do next.

Asher

I think your words were addressed to Brian...
As for me, I live by the saying:
"you can have my gLass (of wine:) if you pry it from my cold dead fingers" :)
Cheers, mon ami !
1drink.gif