• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: On Display! My Work! At a mjor conference!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
On Display! My Work! At a major conference!

I just got an email from someone I know that is a major vendor in the photo world and I am very excited but they asked me to bring some of my images to use on display at their booth at the Prophoto - California expo in Pasadena this weekend.

They did not give me any direction -size, subject, framed, mounted, matted....so I am not sure what to bring - except some of my best work. I am totally excited amd I will of course take phiotographs of the booth for my website and blog and to share here because this is a dream.

Please keep your fingers crossed they use my images. If you have any insight, I'd appreciate that too. They are using some kind of velcro display thng.

Last edited:
Way to go Kathy! That is great to hear. I can't give any advice...only best wishes. I look forward to seeing what comes of this opportunity for you.
James Newman

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy,

We're so proud of you! This is exciting! Post what you show and then a picture of the pictures there!

Asher

I just got an email from someone I know that is a major vendor in the photo world and I am very excited but they asked me to bring some of my images to use on display at their booth at the Prophoto - California expo in Pasadena this weekend.

They did not give me any direction -size, subject, framed, mounted, matted....so I am not sure what to bring - except some of my best work.

Hi Kathy,

Great news, congrats.

Better ask them what they need in advance, before some obstacle evolves. One has to seize the opportunity, and not let is slip away due to some misunderstanding.

Enjoy,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Congrats Kathy
These news are the one each photog feels awarded, a great joyfull feeling.
With your post we share a bit of it, thanks for that!

And kudos, there is no luck here but recognition…

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Moving Van

Belive me, if I don't get an answer of what they want to display, I might have to rent a truck and bring everything and let them choose. My image in their booth would be beyond my wildest dreams.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks.

As soon as I print the images and they are in the booth I will post a photo...

They want 11x14 or 16x20. If I use people photos I have to give them copies of my model releases.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Okay, my model released are all set - check!
My images are mounted - check! (I think I have to buy a big printer and mounting board. The lab I went to used a used piece of foamcore and I missed looking at the backside - it has another image on it - not mine)
My excitement is building! Yay!
My Camera is ready.

I am going to be staring, I mean gawking, at my images at the tradeshow tomorrow in Pasadena! Whoo Hoo. I can't wait to see them up with the name of the vendor. I guess I ought to bring a wide lens in case they are far away from the sign.

Thanks for the good wishes. I promise to post over the weekend.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Today's Conference....

Well I came, I saw, I displayed. I walked away and came back and voila - poof!
They took my images down (sniff).

Okay, so I had an hour of fame. The major camera manufacturer whose employee invited me found out that they had a clause in a contract with their sponsorees that other photographers could not display their work under the banner of the name.

Then they had their own prints from their photographers coming right from their own printers at the show. My prints were mounted and didn't have the same flavor. (Mine were better presented mounted on foamcore and they all were bordered while theirs were being printed on the roll and taped up to their display)0

The good news is I got them all back so I can display them in my studio. They were to have been left behind and I paid a pretty penny.

So then, I am not able to show you their logo. I was told that I could use my photos of the photos in their booth - but, I cannot show the logo. Attorneys and legal mumbo jumbo that does make sense depending on the end of the stick you're on. So I get to go back to work on the next moments of fame and publicity I can garner for my work.

Asher Kelman

Hi Kathy,

I'm not happy to hear this story! It doesn't sound respectful on their part. Photographer's time, effort, work and prestige cannot be trivialized like this and the folk get a free ride.

It doesn't matter what they subsequently told you not to do, since photography was allowed at the public venue for anyone and you are included in "anyone" as somebody, called Kethy! They would have to show damages. You are the only one who has concrete damages! You could anyway, out of principal, take them to small claims court in Van Nuys, Ca, and show your expense and explain how you were let down for going to the show and making the prints and the various losses you bore because the pictures were not maintained on display, as their oral agreement had clearly implied. That, to me, clearly broke their commitment to you, no different than if the representative of Profoto, for example says that if you do such and such, for the value of that, they will give you a 15% discount. That's an agreement. The guy works for a company. They do business. It's not a social thing. Your run a serious photography business into which you have invested serious money. Your reputation is kind of put on the line when folks expected your prints to stay up there and they were removed promptly.

You have about 85% chance of collecting $800-2000. IMHO, they have a zero chance of collecting a thing, even if their logo is included. In fact, if you make an artistic print, you can add 50 extra copies of their logo and as long as you don't libel them per quod in the accompanying text, then, my dear lady, they cannot claim any harm! You are, TTBOMK, protected in the USA first Amendment to Freedom of Speech. I wander how it would be viewed in Europe or other parts of the planet. Why can't you show their logo? They may not like it, but neither might anyone you take a snapshot of! You don't want me for a Lawyer, (because, you'd be up the creek with no paddle), but my bet is that your lawyer would tell you the same. They have a bloody nerve. They owe you at least an apology and better a portable flash pack with two heads!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Not an issue

Really it's not an issue to me. The photographic community is small. I had a thrill. There will be other times. Not a bridge to burn for certain.

The photographic community is small? I don't think that is possible anymore. OK...so what is another word that rhymes with the sponsor name?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Really it's not an issue to me. The photographic community is small. I had a thrill. There will be other times. Not a bridge to burn for certain.

I was sad to read your disappointing experience, Kathy.

That aside, however, I think that your reaction shines even brighter than if this had been a smooth experience. Not only is it a mature attitude (something relatively rare these days) but, more importantly, it's a productive attitude that aspiring professionals reading this thread should note.

Bravo to you, Kathy. Bravo!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks, Ken

You know, I am not there - yet. More motivation to keep improving my skills. I have someone's attention. Maybe one day too I can be an explorer of light....even if it's just in my own photography realm.

The thing is there are many of us who do great work or even mediocre work. Some of us will never have 15 minutes in front of any audience beyond our own world.

It's where we are supposed to be in the moment. Let's all keep shooting, processing and getting to be the best we can be!

Asher Kelman

Kathy,

I didn't really expect or want your to match their bluster with yours, but in truth, this is a disrespect to a huge community. If it's a small company that has just started, O.K. they're just getting things together. But this was plain wrong in manners, procedure and I bet legal standing.

As your friend, my immediate reaction is eruptive. However, your own acceptance and Ken's view is much more practical. Still, I hope they too haver gained some insight.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Big Prints

The other good thing is they told me my images would have been destroyed by their hanging method. 16x20's mounted on foamcore...I got them back in perfect condition. ....

You know in our businesses of photography it is not uncommon to have rejection - people have expectations and preconcieved notions - your vision may not match that of your clients no matter what you do. If I do not have the right attitude about it, then I might as well stop my path now because we are constantly trying to please clients. It's more than competitive now - it's cut throat!

I could wail and moan that I did not get three days of exposure to my peers. I did get some exposure. I did get to print these images bigger than they would have been otherwise. Some of my peers saw them and actually I got some publicity from one of them on facebook. I did get photos of my images in their booth. I won't post them on the net, but you can be assured that I will be able to use that in my studio.

It's not unlike a divorce so to speak. I can be sad the rest of my life. Or I can be happy that I had the experience and move forward! I am doing that. It's a little blip in the scheme of things. I have some very big plans that I will share with you all this summer as I develop something I am working on.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
It's not unlike a divorce so to speak. I can be sad the rest of my life. Or I can be happy that I had the experience and move forward!

That reads suspiciously like a line I used to use when trying to cut one out of the herd as a young man on Friday nights. "Hey babe, I'm not looking for eternity. Look, we can be happy we've had the experience and move on tomorrow."

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Uh huh

Yeah, I know your kind,....I've heard that a time or two...same principle....you can be happy you got screwed or you can be victim. Literally or figuratively.