• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Logon required now for "New Posts" item?

Don Lashier

Hi Dave,

> 'what's new' link usually only shows stuff that was posted since my last login timed out

There's only a few BB's that handle this correctly, or perhaps it's option settings as correct tracking of "read" posts requires more resources. In any case I just make the habit of reading all unread during a particular session but still sometimes miss a few that I discover later. The "New Posts" link at the top helps.

> I've not set the 'remember me' box, so maybe that would cure it

I believe it would, and I always do this on fora and have never been timed out here.

> but I pine for the 'old days' when a good threaded newsreader (like 'tin') was all you needed

Nice pun :) I used to be an avid follower of alt.coffee and also am still on several very active maillists, but I've got to say that I prefer web forums. I've been an ISP since '95 and a few years back accidently let my outsourced news reader service lapse. Several months went by and only 1 person out of 1200 customers complained so I decided it wasn't worth the $100/month. I still occasionally read news groups but just use google news.

I miss teletypes too - they kept your fingers in shape for guitar playing.

- DL (on the "net" since 1970)

Mary Bull

Remember Me and Time-Out

I've not set the 'remember me' box, so maybe that would cure it
Even with "Remember Me" set, my browser window page times out after 2 hours, if I have not been interacting with the page.

I have deliberately been staying on-line as I did other tasks, and have verified this several times. It's pretty easy just to log back in.

But, if the time-out occurs with the Preview Page, then logging back in with the Alert box form brings an "Invalid" alert, and the only way to get out of it is to exit the browser.

I used to encounter this more when I would sit and think over my long posts. Now I've taken Asher's hint to me, to compose in my Word Processor (Word 2000) and c&p. Except, it won't c&p. I guess I need some instruction on pre-formatting text from Word into HTML. Presently I'm composing in Word, for posts I want to proofread well, putting that window beside the OPF window, and then I simply retype the text into OPF.

@Nicolas: I'm getting along fine, and happy as a queen bee. So if these are problems (at least, they're problems from my PoV) that can't be fixed in vBulletin, I can live with them.

Best wishes,
Mary

Last edited:

John_Nevill

Asher, your quite right, enforcing real names is very much appropriate. I personally don't like discussing topics with alphamumeric strings or starwars characters.

BTW, I experimented with excerpts for a while, e.g. just showing the first couple of line of a review or essay, I got slated on DP and FM, but the membership grew. I've also recently switched off the user list on my site, so no-one can get at it, its all too easy to reformat it into a spam mailing list.

Keep up the good work, OPF is flourishing!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Mary Bull said:
Presently I'm composing in Word, for posts I want to proofread well, putting that window beside the OPF window, and then I simply retype the text into OPF.
Mary
Dear Queen
why retype?
Copy paste!
Much faster...

Mary Bull

why retype?
Copy paste!
Much faster...
Doesn't copy. Can't think why.
Have tried Select (Highlight) plus CTRL-C /CTRL-V on text from Word 2000, moving to OPF Reply or New Message window. Nothing happens.
Same with Copy command from Word 2000 drop-down menu.
Those techniques work anywhere but on OPF.

Any ideas?

nicolas claris

Quote:
why retype?
Copy paste!
Much faster...
Have tried Select (Highlight) plus CTRL-C /CTRL-V on text from Word 2000, moving to OPF Reply or New Message window. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Above copied from OPF, then pasted to Microsoft Word…

Then all above, selected, copy and paste into OPF…

Argggglllllllll Bill Gates !

nicolas claris

Quote:
why retype?
Copy paste!
Much faster...

Any ideas?

Above copied from OPF, then pasted to Microsoft Word…

Then all above, selected, copy and paste into OPF…

Argggglllllllll Bill Gates !

Same from OPT to TextEdit and back to OPF.

Macintosh....

Mary Bull

This is a test of the c&p function at OPF.

Yay, Nicolas, from Open Office the Copy-and-Paste works!!

Hours I shall save in the future!!

Mary Bull

I have a bear-hug Smiley that I could import at you!
Don't worry, just kidding!

And as I just now posted, copy-and-paste from Open Office works in OPF!

I may just permanently abandon Word 2000.

nicolas claris

Good!
saved time to be used writting more good texts or may be some more photo shots of cats...
Edit: writing

Mary Bull

But Open Office is.
Maybe the Open rhymes with the Open in Open Photography Forum.
I am ecstatically happy.
Thanks a mil for brainstorming this with me, Nicolas.

nicolas claris

Mary Bull said:
I have a bear-hug Smiley that I could import at you!
Don't worry, just kidding!

And as I just now posted, copy-and-paste from Open Office works in OPF!

I may just permanently abandon Word 2000.
Chasing bears in fog may be more attractive...

nicolas claris

Your LOL is nice to hear over the Atlantic as playing with words in English is not so easy for a French fellow...

Mary Bull

I surely do understand. I would not be able to play with words in French at all. But so far you are coming across to me loud and clear, and most enjoyably.

nicolas claris

Oh Mary!
Now I can go and sleep well, it's 11:23 PM here and I've got a huge work tomorrow and the following weeks...

Have good time here in OPF.

See you later!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
1. Word has never been a good editor for HTML.
1a. It plays havock with anything you already defined even if you don't put HTML into a Word document.

2. If it is only spell-checking, get a browser offering it; I guess Aspell is available for Firefox, too, if you do not want to use Opera 9.x

Mary Bull

1) The only reason I was not writing directly in the OPF window was that I'd get timed-out, as I sat and thought about how best to say what I wanted to say, and--on a hint from Asher--decided it would be easier to compose in a word processor than to constantly highlight&copy in order to save my draft, writing in the OPF window.

2) NB, "Remember Me" is still not working for me, and I don't know whether it's local to me or a quirk of Vbulletin.

3) I seldom use a spellchecker. I rely on noticing, myself, if a word "looks wrong" and then either fix it, if it's a typo, or check it in a dictionary, if I'm not sure how it should be spelled.

4) I greatly prefer Opera to Firefox.

Thanks a million for the comment, Dierk. I had to find out the hard way about these limitations of Word. I've had Open Office for some time. The c&p from it last night did work, to my great happiness, and I'm going to use it for future compositions that I plan to c&p into an OPF window.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Use Notepad or any other simple text editor (I prefer TextPad, and 1stPage isn't bad either although specifically for HTML). Cannot go wrong with those.

WillGood

Closed Photography Forum....

Asher Kelman said:
Hi John,

did that to merely show that we're a friendly bunch. If they want to come into our living room, they can't listen at the door to our serious conversations about photography.

I find that some of these lurkers are indeed very talented. Everyone has to decide for themselves that they want to participate or not. If we need real names, then no names and no photographs is bot acceptable either!

This is not a user's list. It's a house we're building for sharing experience, relaxing and getting to help each other make the best images to show and or sell.

We are not about equipment only about the implementation of purpose and visions in a real picture that we can show and appreciate. We want to filter out lot's of people who just want to collect masses of details on everything and buy themselves bragging rights.

Asher

Sorry. but may I suggest you have over- thought this ........please return to an Open forum !
Cheers

Asher Kelman said:
Hi John,

did that to merely show that we're a friendly bunch. If they want to come into our living room, they can't listen at the door to our serious conversations about photography.

I find that some of these lurkers are indeed very talented. Everyone has to decide for themselves that they want to participate or not. If we need real names, then no names and no photographs is bot acceptable either!

This is not a user's list. It's a house we're building for sharing experience, relaxing and getting to help each other make the best images to show and or sell.

We are not about equipment only about the implementation of purpose and visions in a real picture that we can show and appreciate. We want to filter out lots of people who just want to collect masses of details on everything and buy themselves bragging rights.
Asher

I also think this is rather draconian. Lurkers aren't going to sign up if they can't see what's being discussed.

It's more like a street party - as soon as you want to talk or want a beer, then you've got to shake hands with someone and say your name.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
WillGood said:
Sorry. but may I suggest you have over- thought this ........please return to an Open forum !
Cheers

John Beardsworth said:
Asher

I also think this is rather draconian. Lurkers aren't going to sign up if they can't see what's being discussed.

It's more like a street party - as soon as you want to talk or want a beer, then you've got to shake hands with someone and say your name.

John

Will and John,

That's good advice. I can separate functions to achieve what we want.

Asher