• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

We're all spreaded over the world, but where are we really from?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
So you're really americanized!
However, as far as I know, you don't need the last "e", "désolée" is feminine... ;-)

Nill Toulme

See, I've even forgotten that adjectives applied to the first person have gender! Or maybe that was just my feminine side emerging... ;-)

My great-great-great grandpère Jean-Baptiste Toulmé came over around 1800.

Desolé,

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nill Toulme

That is indeed the man. He is buried in a cemetery on Toulme Street in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, which is right next to Pass Christian (and pretty close to the middle of Hurricane Katrina's devastation).

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Don Lashier

Nill Toulme said:
That is indeed the man. He is buried in a cemetery on Toulme Street in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, which is right next to Pass Christian (and pretty close to the middle of Hurricane Katrina's devastation).

Wow, he evidently got pretty angry when he discovered that you removed the accent aigu. I better put the space back in my name before disaster strikes again!

- DL

nicolas claris

the funny thing is that I found half of the info with Toulmé, the other part with Toulme...

Internet is so powerfull, Nill, because he's so modest, may have tried to hide behind the "no accent aigu" shield...
He failed on that one! Nanananana

Don Lashier

Nicolas Claris said:
the funny thing is that I found half of the info with Toulmé, the other part with Toulme...

Internet is so powerfull

Nil's fortunate that his legacy is so available. The trail on my name disappears in Louisiana sometime in the early 1800's but according to one family member's research connects with Jean LaFitte. The family legend is that LaFitte had a bastard child and when the mother informed him he blurted out "vous la chier?". French influence was still quite strong and when the mother tried to register the father as "LaChier" they wouldn't permit it so she americanized the spelling to LaShier. ;)

edit: added missing ?
actually I'm 3/4 Swedish and can trace that part quite well, just not the name (paternal) lineage.

- DL

Last edited:

nicolas claris

We're all spreaded over the world, but where are we really from?
That's a fact, a lot of us aren't leaving in their own country of birth (or their parent's/grand parents's place of birth).
Does this have any influence on you in the way you're doing photography? cultural? artistic? deontology? memories? etc.
Do you feel as a lack or on the contrary as a big plus?

I'm sure this could be an interesting thread... and for a start I've moved here some OT but interesting posts from "insurance" thread (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735...

go ahead!

Mary Bull

Speaking as a vacation-memories type of amateur picture-taker (hardly dare to dignify myself with the name photographer when posting among this set of accomplished and distinguished people) I pointed my camera at castles and churches and churchyards all over Scotland and Ireland, on my 2003 trip.

From a younger sister who is the genealogy buff in our family, I have a cherished set of photos of an old family cemetery in Texas--headstones for our mother's great-grandparents and their offspring.

I may have a French connection through my Scottish roots--and also through the English line; a lucky discovery made by a sixth cousin tapped us into the English royal line at Edward III, and therefore I'm a many-times great-grandchild of that famous Norman, William the Conqueror.

When next I go to England, perhaps I'll get some shots of the Hastings battlefield.

Beware. I may have inherited some of William's aggressive traits! <she said with a smile>

Rob.Martin

Genealogy - whoa

Well,
I'm from New Zealand
moved to Perth, Western Australia
to Hong Kong
Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Mineappolis / St Paul
Sydney, Australia
Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
Bangkok, Thailand
Ugh . . .
where next?
Rob
Am I a Kiwi?
Confusion reigns.

nicolas claris

Mary Bull said:
<she said with a smile>
a so more "speaking" and brilliant way to express your mood when writing!
Many zillions far better than baby/badly designed smile-ease. <he said without irony and pure bonheur>
Thank you again Mary, you're our fresh air!

nicolas claris

Rob.Martin said:
Am I a Kiwi?
Confusion reigns.
Hi Rob
wherever you are today <he said with a large smile> this is exactly the kind of feeling that would need to be developped here!

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
a so more "speaking" and brilliant way to express your mood when writing!
Many zillions far better than baby/badly designed smile-ease. <he said without irony and pure bonheur>
Thank you again Mary, you're our fresh air!
No, thank *you*, Nicolas. <she replied, ecstatically accepting all compliments>
May I credit the technique to my beloved Shakespeare?
He's the master of fine stage directions. <she murmured, preening as she dropped his name>

Well, even this method of communicating the emotional tone of a text can be run into the ground!

Outa here before I wear out my welcome!

Jan Luursema

I was born in Adorp, a small town less then 10 km north from where I live now (Groningen) and I was raised in Peize, less then 15 km south from where I live now, so no world traveller here :D

Any one here lives in Japan? I will be moving there in a few weeks (I was going to NY, but the plans changed)

It would be really good to have someone there to get some tips from.

same here

Rob,
I'm from Nicaragua
(6 months Budapest, 2 years Montreal)
moved to NY
to Tokyo
to NY again
to Guatemala
to Ecuador
to Mexico
and now back to Tokyo

Interesting work you do, can I ask you about your obsession on resolution -- sold EOS-1Ds Mk2 for Mk3, etc, no? -- what do you do with all the terabytes of pictorial information?

Do you know anyone here that lives in Tokyo?

good luck, leonardobarreto.com

Rob.Martin said:
Well,
I'm from New Zealand
to Hong Kong
Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Mineappolis / St Paul
Sydney, Australia
Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
Bangkok, Thailand
Ugh . . .
where next?
Rob
Am I a Kiwi?
Confusion reigns.

Rob.Martin

leonardobarreto.com said:
Interesting work you do, can I ask you about your obsession on resolution -- sold EOS-1Ds Mk2 for Mk3, etc, no? -- what do you do with all the terabytes of pictorial information?

Resolution obsession?, I don't know, I just love the prints that come from the Ultimate in resolution, they seem to sing to me more than anyhting else.
I will get a 1Ds3 when it arrives next year, no hurry.
As for the info, it's an ongoing problem. I generate a lot of files in a shoot, now I have to be tougher and tougher on myself. I need a terrabyte or two upgrade very soon!!!

I know a dude in Tokyo, but he's no photographer....

:)

Rob

leonardobarreto.com said:
Rob,
I'm from Nicaragua
(6 months Budapest, 2 years Montreal)
moved to NY
to Tokyo
to NY again
to Guatemala
to Ecuador
to Mexico
and now back to Tokyo

There's a nice bunch of guys that hang out in the DPREVIEW OlyDSLR forum, who live in Japan and get together to shoot. Some pro, some amateur. Go check out posts by Higuma (lives in Sapporo) and RayK (lives near Tokyo). Higuma is Canadian, RayK from Oz, I believe. You can tell them I sent you.

scott

Tim Rogers

Rob.Martin said:
Well,
I'm from New Zealand
to Hong Kong
Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Mineappolis / St Paul
Sydney, Australia
Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
Bangkok, Thailand
Ugh . . .
where next?
Rob
Am I a Kiwi?
Confusion reigns.

..........Hey Rob. Why did they boot you out of all of those places.......not to mention DPR! <he said mischieviously>

Rob.Martin

Tim Rogers said:
..........Hey Rob. Why did they boot you out of all of those places.......not to mention DPR! <he said mischieviously>

I am an IT Contractor (Working IT Prostitute) and I go wherethe work takes me. I am known for speaking my mind, so it gets me in hot water on occassions.

Tim Rogers

Rob.Martin said:
I am an IT Contractor (Working IT Prostitute) and I go wherethe work takes me. I am known for speaking my mind, so it gets me in hot water on occassions.

..........I guessed as much and I like to hear from those who speak their minds a lot more than those who snicker from the sidelines. There's a lot of that at DPR.

Mary Bull

Ambiguous to me. <friendly smile>
Do you mean a lot of
1) Snickering from the sidelines at OPF?
2) Speaking their minds at OPF?
3) Both at OPF?

Unconfuse me, please.

Mary

John_Nevill

I'm from England, where everything's on a smaller scale!

Born in South London,
Lived in Kent, Portsmouth and Southampton.
I now reside south of Winchester in village called Fair Oak.

You could place all these locations inside Orange county and still have room to spare.

From a work perspective, I've spent a few months in Norway, Sweden and Germany, although mainly in industrial areas!

Mary Bull

Distance is relative

John Nevill said:
I'm from England, where everything's on a smaller scale!

Born in South London,
Lived in Kent, Portsmouth and Southampton.
I now reside south of Winchester in village called Fair Oak.

You could place all these locations inside Orange county and still have room to spare.
I noticed, when I visited Keswick, in Northern England. It wasn't even very far over to Hard Knott Pass. The long part came when we parked at the bottom and climbed the steep way to the ruins of the old Roman fort.

But when we used to come back home to Texas from Tennessee, through Louisiana, after half a day's drive from Houston to Victoria, the empty highway in the early pre-dawn dark from Victoria to Sinton seemed like an eternity to me. I was sustained by the idea that a bathroom and breakfast awaited me at my mother's house.
<just reminiscing>

Mary

Last edited: