• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Like the Layout, Hate the Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hollenberg

I like the layout, looks pretty good. However, the text is hard to read due to the colors. Please kill the "coffee with cream" colored text and pick something easier on the eyes. I didn't see a way to change this in the user profile. If I have missed it, my apologies in advance.

--John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John Hollenberg said:
I like the layout, looks pretty good. However, the text is hard to read due to the colors. Please kill the "coffee with cream" colored text and pick something easier on the eyes. I didn't see a way to change this in the user profile. If I have missed it, my apologies in advance.

--John

John, your comments are much appreciated. Michael Tapes has already let me know he agrees with you! The contrast has to be better. BTW, what screen are you viewing it on?

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

John Hollenberg said:
I have a Mitsubishi 2070SB CRT.

--John

Well, that should be no issue at all. I think you have a good point and we need to work on this.

While your at it, feel free to comment on anything else or to post.

It's my B'day, so i'm off to dinner. Read about meta.editorials. I'd love your comments and feedback on that if you might have the time!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Like the Layout, Hate the Colors

--John

I heard you!
in the hurry I missfitted a color code.
Now it is the same as our front page as it should always have been.
Hope you'll hate it a little less...

Last edited:

John Hollenberg

Nicolas Claris said:

I heard you!
in the hurry I missfitted a color code.
Now it is the same as our front page as it should always have been.
Hope you'll hate it a little less...

Nope. I hate it just as much :eek: IMO the entire color scheme needs
a radical change. For an example of easy to read forum colors, see:
www.colorforums.com

--John

Last edited:

Guy Scharf

I agree the color choices are problematic. The low contrast slows my reading speed as I have to go over the text more closely to read it.

Guy

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
John Hollenberg said:
Nope. I hate it just as much :eek: IMO the entire color scheme needs
a radical change. For an example of easy to read forum colors, see:
www.colorforums.com

--John

John, Welcome to OPF. Great to see you here, But if you keep this tone up you will be the first to be banned!:D

a triumph of design over readability

I also vote for stronger, more primary colors. I don't know what it was like during the first complaint, but I find the present brown text unpleasant to read. I have 20-20 vision and a T43 Thinkpad with 1600x1200 px. The monitor is calibrated, don't know about the eyes.

scott

nicolas claris

scott kirkpatrick said:
I also vote for stronger, more primary colors. I don't know what it was like during the first complaint, but I find the present brown text unpleasant to read. I have 20-20 vision and a T43 Thinkpad with 1600x1200 px. The monitor is calibrated, don't know about the eyes.

scott
Need your feed back now as color of text have been darken seriously.

And no, Scott, I don't agree with you, this is not the triumph of Design over readibility, if you can't read, design is faulty, then it is bad design.
Besides of photography I run an advertising agency and I spend a lot of time to explain our designers that design is for the service of what we want to transmit, it is not an ART, it must help to be understood.

Brian Lowe

Just joined and hate the colors too

Yes monitor is calibrated and all the other blah blah stuff. How about some other themes to choose from?:eek:

Anyway, I welcome the new form to hang out in and hope to participate. Happy to be a new member too.....:D

Brian

Asher Kelman

Brian Lowe said:
Yes monitor is calibrated and all the other blah blah stuff. How about some other themes to choose from?:eek:

Anyway, I welcome the new form to hang out in and hope to participate. Happy to be a new member too.....:D

Brian

Thanks Brian for your joining us. We hope to be great hosts to you. BTW, Nicolas is a very generous and non-pretentious man and also happens to be a most talented photographer. He rides the waves or hangs from a helicopter to chase $10,000,000 super yachts for their portraits!

Look forward to you posts!

Last edited:
D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

1. In all the posts I see, the main text is in a light brown color. (The HTML is too complicated for me, so I can't see why!)

2. If I try to enter "extended" characters (using the Alt+0nnn) keyboard procedure, as soon as I strike the first "0" something funny happens (different funny things at different times). Is this something about this BBS I don't yet know how to run? (I was going to describe the text color as "cafe au lait", but as soon as I tried to enter the "e accent aigu", the system went nuts!)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Hi, Doug
the brown color of text is not an issue, it is normal and goes with the design of the site.
However if, as some other, you don't like it, you may thru http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/index.php down below the page, on the left side, or within your profile choose another style called "NC Black text".
This is for your point 1

As far as your point 2
I assume you're on PC and I have to admit that I don't know much about this. On Mac we can extend caracters with command+ or - if we wish to lower the size of caracters. I've tested it and it works well.

We need some other Windows users to test and we'll be able to see if it is your software/stetings or a general error due to our system.

Anyway I'm sure this issue doesn't come from the color as the color is set thru a CSS (a style sheet) and does not interfer with caracter coding.

We definitively needs other users test on this in order to identify the culprit!

On a French keyboard this is an é accent aigu and this is an è accent grave.

Can you read them correctly?

Thanks for pointing to bugs, this is the only way for us to be aware of them though we've done intensive tests.

Best regards

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

choose another style called "NC Black text"
That worked fine. Thanks.

I can enter e accent aigu (é) etc. fine if I pick them in the character palette and paste them in. But when I trt and use the Alt+0nnn keyboard entry, something strange happens that doesn't happen in any other application, including using the same browser on several other forums.

I don't want to try it here (in case it blows up), but I'll test some more on another test post.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Entry of extended characters

Hi, Nicolas.

This will be a test of the keyboard entry of extended characters.

E accent aigu:

Nope. I held Alt and as soon as I entered "02" (the code is Alt+0233) I exited the editing screen. I was able to get back where I was with the Back button on my browser.

Here is a centered dot (code Alt+0149):

Nope - after the Alt+01, I popped out of the editing screen to the forum index. Again, I was able to get back where I was with the Back button on my browser.

Again, this does not happen with the use of the same browser with other forums (using different BBS packages, of course).

I'll do some more playing with me in different parts of this forum system, and let you know what I find.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Ok Doug
we'll dig this in the BBS code.
What is you default encoding for caracter?
What Browser/version do you use
What OS?

sorry to be so intrusive but we may have to be able to reproduce the issue...

Thanks again for your tests!

Last edited:
D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Evidently, when in this BBS system, Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+4, and Alt+5 are shortcuts that take me to some place in the forum (like the FAQ). This is aparently decoded even when it is part of theh sequence "Alt+01 . . "

Evidently the software that is in effect here as part of my being in the BBS system isn't smart enought to realize that when it sees "Alt+0" (all the special sequences begin with "Alt+0", it should ignore other Alt+ codes for a while.

It's not a big problem, as I can put in all the special characters by picking them from the character map and pasting them in.

But it would be nice if that curiosity could be disposed of!

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

OS here is Windows XP Pro SP2
Browser is Mozilla Firefox v. 1.5.0.3
Default encoding is Western - ISO 8859-1

I will access the forum thrtough Internet Explorer (Oh merciful God, forgive me) and see if I have the same anomaly.

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Browser now is IE 6.0.

I can enter é, è, ç, ±, etc in the usual way with no problem. Zut alors!

Go figure!

Curse you, Bill Gates!

Best regards,

Doug

Nicolas Claris said:
Need your feed back now as color of text have been darken seriously.

I've set things to make all the text black. But the color chosen for the site is one that I (and perhaps others) just don't care much for.

A little thing. If you have some control over the forum software, can you include "all" as well as specific page "1-2-3" so that when a thread gets impassioned I can just keep scrolling? The Pixmantec forum does this. I've started looking at the threaded view as well, but that obscures a lot.

Final, really OT question -- Have you gotten any shots of Jim Clark's latest enormous yacht? It was comissioned in Amsterdam a year or so ago, and was the state of the art in automation for a (mostly) sail vessel.

scott

John Hollenberg

Nicolas Claris said:
However if, as some other, you don't like it, you may thru http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/index.php down below the page, on the left side, or within your profile choose another style called "NC Black text".

This does improve readability significantly, but would still prefer to see the text on a white background (or gray). I find the pastel blue very distracting, perhaps because I can't quite tell if it is gray or blue. Don't mean to complain for my first post here (OK, I do mean it :D ), this is just the first thing I noticed that really bothered me about the site. Everything else looks great!

PS to Michael - how is that for stepping back from being banned? ;)

--John

Asher Kelman

John Hollenberg said:
This does improve readability significantly, but would still prefer to see the text on a white background (or gray). I find the pastel blue very distracting, perhaps because I can't quite tell if it is gray or blue. Don't mean to complain for my first post here (OK, I do mean it :D ), this is just the first thing I noticed that really bothered me about the site. Everything else looks great!

PS to Michael - how is that for stepping back from being banned? ;)

--John

John,

Welcome once again. BTW, I understand Michael's reaction. Actually it is one of the special feautes of this Professional Forum, that we don't want to see people banned or posts deleted. However, the other side of the coin is that we have to let the plumber, who's bent under the counter, put in the kitchen faucet, without driving him nuts!

I certainly appreciate the feedback on type face, the choice of having just black and the testing of French accents (and please someone: the German accents too) on our text writer.

I'll write a little later about the choice of color for the OPF website. It was no accident. Not quite the "Da Vinci Code", but still not a random choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.