• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

looking for a wide angle in the range of 18 to 20 mm

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Originally Posted by Michael Fontana
Did anyone (Bart?) tried the lever-version of the 14-24-adaptor?
No, it has only recently been announced, but apparently you need to remove or cut up the rubber gasket of the lens, so I'm not that interested in testing it anymore. Any idea if it is easy to remove, or does it require partial disassembly? Does anyone know?
No, it has only recently been announced, but apparently you need to remove or cut up the rubber gasket of the lens, so I'm not that interested in testing it anymore. Any idea if it is easy to remove, or does it require partial disassembly? Does anyone know?
Yes, it is very easy, a simple rubber ring. If you take it off carefully, you should be able to put it back in place later...
More here

Yes, it is very easy, a simple rubber ring. If you take it off carefully, you should be able to put it back in place later...

Ah, that's great news, thanks. I figured out that you got the lever version of the adapter, so I was going to ask you, but you beat me. This opens up another can of (expensive) worms, ordering an adapter and rent a lens (if I can resist buying it).

I recon that the 14mm side allows for very high resolution 360 degree panoramas. It'll take more exposures to stitch than from a fisheye, but it also allows to enlarge sections from such a VR scene with very high quality. With a hyperfocal distance of 1.87 metres at f/11, everything from 93 cm to infinity will be in focus (even with a tripod at 1 metre height that would mean everything).

Bart

nicolas claris

Ah, that's great news, thanks. I figured out that you got the lever version of the adapter, so I was going to ask you, but you beat me. This opens up another can of (expensive) worms, ordering an adapter and rent a lens (if I can resist buying it).

If you ever come close to Bordeaux, I would gladly lend you the lens and its adaptor for some tests of yours…

LoL!
I know dear Bart what drives you! perfection!

I find reassurance in knowing it can't get better than that, it's useless to waste energy and try ;-)

My post was ironical, but you know me enough to know that it was with kind and laughing thoughts!

I know!

Unfortunately the Iphone app has some presets but not the availibility to choose/select a precise COC.
Of course, I'll print your findings or even a more complete (more ƒ stops), but that was quite smart to get the Iphone and calculate in front of the client! LoL!

You can stiil do that, just divide the resulting distance by 1.5 for 0.015mm, or by 2 for 0.020mm or 3 for 0.030mm COC settings. That's close enough! See, I can make a compromise ;-), but I also know you don't really like math.

Bart

P.S. When starting with the e.g. 'iPhone distances', one multiplies by the appropriate factor, when starting with the 'Critical' values I mentioned, then one divides to get the more relaxed distances. Thanks Nicolas for pointing that out.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Relief!
finally the Iphone app did give me this morning (I was maybe a bit too "nappy" yesterday;-) the possibility to choose a CoC of 0,010mm;
Cool!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonjour Nicolas and Bart

so have to buy the iPhone, now? Or does it comes with the lever-version of the adapter?

I see, Bart is still teased by that lens, I agree it'll be a nice complement to the TSE-24.

the hug for Silvio was a joke only, in case .....

nicolas claris

Bonjour Michael
Bonjour Nicolas and Bart

so have to buy the iPhone, now? Or does it comes with the lever-version of the adapter?

Well, quite handy, but, for future treatment (stitches, Lensanalyzer) the problem, beside remembering the focal length is to know that focal!
On the lever there are 3 points (2.8 - 8 - 22) and in between, you can only guess…

the hug for Silvio was a joke only, in case .....
I had no doubt on that!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonjour Michael

Well, quite handy, but, for future treatment (stitches, Lensanalyzer) the problem, beside remembering the focal length is to know that focal!
On the lever there are 3 points (2.8 - 8 - 22) and in between, you can only guess…

I often go to f = 8, to avoid diffraction.
on tripod it's easy:

1 Lens wide open, dialing time + 3,- with the help of the internal exposure meter...
2 closing the f-stop untill it shows 0.

From 2.8 to 8 - it's 3 f-stops....

nicolas claris

Does anyone know of a software or utility (running on Macintosh) that can overwrite the EXIF (not the IPTC) into a raw file (.cr2)?

Does anyone know of a software or utility (running on Macintosh) that can overwrite the EXIF (not the IPTC) into a raw file (.cr2)?

I know of nothing better than EXIFtool by Phil Harvey. It's updated frequently. There are also several utilities that use EXIFtool, they're mentioned near the bottom of the page.

I only use it on Windows (mainly to read and not change EXIF), but I assume it functions the same on Mac OS X.

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

I'm aware that your situation is a bit different, but here's what I do:

focale-lenghts.jpg

often I add the Macbeth Color checker for WB, etc in that shot as well.

I keep that file together with the other files, so I alwith know the focale lenghts.
At the beginning, I tried to take notes of the files, but I didn't worked properly for me.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yep, it took me several monthes of study ;-)

but it works, as stupid as it looks like .....while Exiftool has been to complicated, IMO.
2nd: I dont alter (touch) the original file.

Meanwhile, when taking notes, I often forgotten, while beeing concentratet on the capture.

Michael Fontana

pro member
One of the moments you are pleased to have that N 14-24 in the bag:

N14-24_KG.jpg

A painting of the german artist Katharina Grosse in a new reserach building.
While the perspective is a bit exaggerated, it allows to show a good parth of her work.

Its in Adobe 98 to keep the bluegreen - in sRGB its loosing already - I bet the prepress guys will not like to print that....

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent, michael. Did you need to do any adjustment or the lines were just like that out of the camera?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael,

Thanks for that information. What adapter are you using as there are various version and which glass for the viewfinder? Also have you handled the 17mm tilt shift yet?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher

I'm not that much interested in UWs, (yesterday, that paiting was the only shot with it.. coming home with about 20 shots..) so the 17 TSE looks to be a overkill:

The N 14-24 fits perfectly into to my needs, as - apart from its IQ - it's very versatle and covers a difficult range very well - I wouldn't like to carry all the primes of that range!! A zoom is alwith a advantage for interiors, when you can't step back!

But I'm definitely interested in the TSE 24, as I would use it much more than the 17 TSE.
Some have the 17 TSE + TC 1.4 in use, which makes 24 mm as well, and they claim, that its performance is as good as the 24 mm TSE. The 17 mm looks to have sharper corners than the TSE 24.
I'm still trying to figure out....

Your questions: It's the splitscreen glas, and adapter is version 1, it's been one of the first serie, after the prototypes, it works fine...

Asher Kelman

Did I say I am more than pleased with the Nikkor 14-24?

In this thread, all inetrior shots where done with that lens. 1st shot is @ 14mm, others at a bit longer.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82155&postcount=4
The last shot (table detail, was shot with the Canon 24-70 (@70mm iirc)
Did you change the focus screen to split screen? Which do you use for manual focus and do you swop them out for your telephotoshots, probably not?

Asher

nicolas claris

Did you change the focus screen to split screen? Which do you use for manual focus and do you swop them out for your telephotoshots, probably not?

Asher

Hi Asher
for long I have had for my 1Ds's a focusscreen with a grid.
When I use the 14-24 I use the rear LCD panel zoomed at max, when I feel I need, I can test with the focus confirmation that works with that lens and the adaptor (there's a special chip in it)

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher
for long I have had for my 1Ds's a focusscreen with a grid.
When I use the 14-24 I use the rear LCD panel zoomed at max, when I feel I need, I can test with the focus confirmation that works with that lens and the adaptor (there's a special chip in it)

I have a lot of interior architectural shots to do. Stitching is taking far too much time! Of course, if the rotation setup I have now was from Really Right Stuff, as Bart uses, my stitches might be a lot more accurate and take no time at all! However, now I want to work faster!

I am now considering getting the Nikon 14-24. I wonder to what extent the make of adapter and the conformation chip in the adapter are significant here?

Anyway, I've moved in the direction of the Nikon ultrawide zoom. If the focus is made with the use of the enlarged image on the rear LCD screen, to what extent does the confirmation chip serve a practical use?

Asher

I have a lot of interior architectural shots to do. Stitching is taking far too much time! Of course, if the rotation setup I have now was from Really Right Stuff, as Bart uses, my stitches might be a lot more accurate and take no time at all! However, now I want to work faster!

Hi Asher,

Stitching is not a goal, it's a means that can be used if additional resolution is required, either for large output or to create some leeway for image manipulation (e.g. keystoning correction or anamorphic/projection distortion) with subsequent downsampling to regain per pixel resolution. The pano software can also be used on single images, but then the resolution may suffer a bit (how much, depends on the algorithms used).

I am now considering getting the Nikon 14-24. I wonder to what extent the make of adapter and the conformation chip in the adapter are significant here?

AFAIK the chip only provides focus confirmation, and a name for the lens in the EXIF.

Anyway, I've moved in the direction of the Nikon ultrawide zoom. If the focus is made with the use of the enlarged image on the rear LCD screen, to what extent does the confirmation chip serve a practical use?

Besides the name in the EXIF, it serves no purpose when used with a tethered setup.

Cheers,
Bart