• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Forgotten photos

Rachel Foster

I was going through some old files and found this image from about two years ago when I first became interested in photography. It's a good example of how one sometimes needs distance from an image to appreciate it.

ISO 400, 1/800, f/11.0.

Elianabubbles.jpg

It feels like my most creative work came from that period when I was first starting out. I think I've gotten too focused on the technical aspect and I'm strangling my creativity.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Elianabubbles.jpg

It feels like my most creative work came from that period when I was first starting out. I think I've gotten too focused on the technical aspect and I'm strangling my creativity.
Hi Rachel,

Time passes and so here comes nostalgia creeping up on us. I have the same thing when I look at paintings done years ago.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be; a pity!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Yes, Nicolas, I certainly hope so! But I've gone too far overboard and need to ease up a bit and let the creativity resurface.

dang, ya'll talking about photographery like it's rocket science.

I take photographs for the fun and love of it. If and when I start breaking out the old slide rule to make a simple calculation is the day I retire my gear.

Sweet photo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I take photographs for the fun and love of it. If and when I start breaking out the old slide rule to make a simple calculation is the day I retire my gear.

Sweet photo.

Cody,

How would you then take a photograph of a valley partially shadowed by clouds or a large cliff using a film camera. You could bracket with a digital camera but for one single exposure attention to the range of light and considerations of bellows reach in a large format camera and perhaps reciprocity of film for long exposures would require some access to technical matters.

Photography is less and less "Rocket Science" as the details of adjustments are removed from out brains to the mathematics embedded in the digital cameras we use.

It's still nice to be able to think a picture out using the basic principles on which the algorithms are built. When we can do that by glancing at the sky and landscape and know we can get the picture, that's great. Still, don't knock the slide rule that got us here!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

I think we are talking about two different areas here.

As Nicolas says, more technical understanding can help us realise our vision or realise our creativity. The problem can be that whilst we are acquiring that understanding we lose the freedom to experiment or play. Also, as we become focused on addressing whatever technical challenge we face at the time (sharpness, no blown highlights...), and then judge all our (and others?) work on that aspect.

Hopefully once we have mastered the technical, so it's no longer even considered other than as a tool, we start to create again, whether through play, experiement or intent or even a combination of all. Some of my current work, which I will share in due course, depends on a combination of intent, experiment and uncertainty. There is a clear technical element to what I am doing (on film, so no way to judge in the field) but equally no certainty as to outcome until later.

Cody, your pure play is fine, and dslrs will help you (indeed, many old hands struggle withthe idea that much of the 'craft' is dealt with by the camera allowing neophytes to make great work), but the more intent enters your creative process, or you try film etc, the more likely you are to need to achieve some level of technical understanding or mastery.

Mike

Edited to say - I like the bubbles by the way. Mike

Rocket science is easy, once you master the technical skills ;-)
Until then, it's going to be hit and miss, and progress will be slow ...

I think we are talking about two different areas here.

As Nicolas says, more technical understanding can help us realise our vision or realise our creativity. The problem can be that whilst we are acquiring that understanding we lose the freedom to experiment or play. Also, as we become focused on addressing whatever technical challenge we face at the time (sharpness, no blown highlights...), and then judge all our (and others?) work on that aspect.

Hopefully once we have mastered the technical, so it's no longer even considered other than as a tool, we start to create again, whether through play, experiement or intent or even a combination of all. Some of my current work, which I will share in due course, depends on a combination of intent, experiment and uncertainty. There is a clear technical element to what I am doing (on film, so no way to judge in the field) but equally no certainty as to outcome until later.

Cody, your pure play is fine, and dslrs will help you (indeed, many old hands struggle withthe idea that much of the 'craft' is dealt with by the camera allowing neophytes to make great work), but the more intent enters your creative process, or you try film etc, the more likely you are to need to achieve some level of technical understanding or mastery.

I totally agree. The technique is only required to conquer that what is hindering us from reaching our objectives, our creative intent.

Bart

Abhijit Biswas

Just after the shoot when the memory is vivid I have one perspective and I might like some images. I come back to the same images after 6 months or so I tend to like some other images which I did not like at all just after the shoot. I think you are right sometimes we need to distance oursleves from the images/memory to appreciate them.

BTW, I like the playful moment and the emotion you captured here.

Abhijit Biswas
http://www.exposurebits.com

I was going through some old files and found this image from about two years ago when I first became interested in photography. It's a good example of how one sometimes needs distance from an image to appreciate it.

ISO 400, 1/800, f/11.0.

Elianabubbles.jpg

Asher, I'm sure this has been "discussed elsewhere", or maybe it hasn't. But, I'm curious, is that old saying of yours "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be" one of YOUR originals?