• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"turban buttercup"

Bart de Vries

L1020589-amer+elpro-ranonkel-cs4.jpg

L1020609-amer+elpro-ranonkel-cs4.jpg

| elpro 1:2-1:1 | apo-macro-elmarit-r 1:2.8/100 | visoflex-III | m8 |

Thanks for viewing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

L1020609-amer+elpro-ranonkel-cs4.jpg

| elpro 1:2-1:1 | apo-macro-elmarit-r 1:2.8/100 | visoflex-III | m8 |

Thanks for viewing.

Bart,

The first has a mouth, wanting attention, the second holds treasure wrapped in silk.

How beautiful can pink be in dresses and negligé and soft infant's skin. This flower is a dance, a ball on a great estate and a decoration on an English bone china teapot dispensing tea parsimoniously to two old ladies in an Saltford village near Bath and Bristol, in merry England.

I too love this generously petticoated flower. It immediately captures out attention and then we bring so many rich images to it.

Asher

A very good representation of the delicate in texture, shape, pattern and as well as color. The cropping is a sun just over the horizon effect, meaning the center is at bottomish of the frame and thus adds to the burgeoning effect of the, as Asher noted, petticoats. Now I must add or be in remiss, even though these are very good; methinks the first one is in need of a some highlight recovery at the right bottom. I realize how delicate such work is if one wants to maintain the delicacy of light, but I calls 'em as I sees em. Thanks for posting.

Asher Kelman

Oops, I meant bottom left. Here is an example of what I mean by highlight work:

632826982_gfnsh-X2.jpg

Bart de Vries "Turban Buttercup" Edited by William Blackford for brights

William,

I see your point but look again at the center bright part of the daisy. It has been dulled. It's that effervescent, bursting overflowing of light that makes the picture work. Now look again at the outer petals and see how the original brightness, overpowering as it might be, makes the plant all the more delicate.

Bart de Vries "Turban Buttercup" Original

It could be that if you were working from the RAW file that your idea could be judiciously exploited, but it would have to be very limited, IMHO, so as not to take away from the essence of the light feminizing this flower. Of course, this is just one view and it really takes a full size print to know what's really best.

Asher

Asher: Indeed, I realized what you have mentioned hence my reference to my rendition as an example and not a fully complete suggestion. Indeed not having the raw file hindered what I needed to accomplish. But I figured any visual representation was better than none. The trick, for perfection in this flower, is to keep the effervescent light while making the highlights more informative. (as you have no doubt alluded to) My example, thus stated, again was meant to be indicative and not conclusive. I do appreciate your vigilance at the point of what is easily an obscure distinction. (And I admit should have been less obscure) It tells me you are on your toes.

Asher Kelman

Asher: Indeed, I realized what you have mentioned hence my reference to my rendition as an example and not a fully complete suggestion. Indeed not having the raw file hindered what I needed to accomplish. But I figured any visual representation was better than none. The trick, for perfection in this flower, is to keep the effervescent light while making the highlights more informative. (as you have no doubt alluded to) My example, thus stated, again was meant to be indicative and not conclusive. I do appreciate your vigilance at the point of what is easily an obscure distinction. (And I admit should have been less obscure) It tells me you are on your toes.

... and let me emphasize, very concerned not to dampen enthusiasm in sharing ideas. My stance is of an associate, not a guru or teacher. I am too much in wonder of how things can be beautiful.

Asher

Bart de Vries

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. Much appreciated and it made me smile :)
As for the highlights: they are part of our visual world as we see it, you have to accept that. Trying to suppress highlights too vigorously might take the life out of your image. I think William's example shows exactly what I mean.

Kind regards.