• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Three Friends

Paul Abbott

I met these guys down an alley off the Charing Cross Road, in London. They were sat outside a record store and I asked them for they're picture, and they obliged. I was real happy they gave me this natural pose, or unpose really.

threefriends1of1split-toneddodgedbu.jpg

Paul Abbott Three Friends

Wendy Thurman

I like this one, Paul. Very relaxed "pose". Lots of personality here, a lot going on but nothing diverts attention from the three young men. Well done.

Wendy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Paul, they do look relaxed.

Three very compatible and mutually sympathetic youngsters. They do look relaxed, in character and cool. You're lucky that they appear not to know about your picture taking. But where is the British education system these kids smoke? Interesting that since smoking in a lot of public spaces has been banned the heart attack rate has jumped, no, no fallen, at least 26%. In LA it's reported at 36%; all from just reducing exposure to 2cd hand smoke!

So what do the signs read?

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
... since smoking in a lot of public spaces has been banned the heart attack rate has jumped at least 26%. In LA it's reported at 36%; all from just reducing exposure to 2cd hand smoke!

So what do the signs read?

Asher

Based on your note the "signs" read: get that smoking rate back up! ;-)

This is a miss as a good street shot, Paul. The kids aren't at all interesting subjects, their attention seems devoted to watching the third kid take a toke, the graffiti in the background is distracting but meaningless to the image, and dutching the shot doesn't add any useful energy.

My opinion only.

Rachel Foster

I have often wondered what distinguishes a good street shot from a less good street shot. I'll study this and your comments, especially, Ken.

Wendy Thurman

This is a miss as a good street shot, Paul. The kids aren't at all interesting subjects, their attention seems devoted to watching the third kid take a toke, the graffiti in the background is distracting but meaningless to the image, and dutching the shot doesn't add any useful energy.

My opinion only.

Looks like three engaged young men in something of a gritty setting in which they are clearly comfortable. I like the shot- it's got a rock and roll feel to it without being pretentious or over the top.

My opinion only as well.

Wendy

Paul Abbott

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Wendy, I did think that they may have been in a band, only after i'd walked away. :)

Asher, people still choosing to smoke doesn't bother me, its upto them. They know the pro's and cons' of it all.
They're all social pariah's now, you see 'em everywhere out on the streets during their lunch breaks from work, puffing away.
Life is about choices really, not about some health and safety 'herbert' telling you what you can and cannot do, I guess. :)

Personally, I don't smoke, I hate it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, people still choosing to smoke doesn't bother me, its upto them. They know the pro's and cons' of it all.
They're all social pariah's now, you see 'em everywhere out on the streets during their lunch breaks from work, puffing away.
Life is about choices really, not about some health and safety 'herbert' telling you what you can and cannot do, I guess. :)

Personally, I don't smoke, I hate it.
Paul,

The fact that removing 2cd hand smoke by forbidding smoking in many public space cuts heart attacks by 26-35%, is so remarkable. It's far better than any excercise regimen or diet and so easy. The savings in lives, illness, quality of life, lost days from work, medical costs and so forth is enormous!

Sure they can smoke. At least it keeps the cancer doctors busy!

Still, I do like hte picture of people smoking as it is a major fusion of so many symbols: mans control of fire, his use of weapons and his self-medication and then wonderful social aspects, the sort of social-glue, of joining together this in a group. It seems like there is a bond between them, all toxic fflame keepers!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Paul,
Still, I do like hte picture of people smoking as it is a major fusion of so many symbols: mans control of fire, his use of weapons and his self-medication and then wonderful social aspects, the sort of social-glue, of joining together this in a group. It seems like there is a bond between them, all toxic fflame keepers!

Asher

I agree with you, Asher.

Paul Abbott

In regards to Ken's reply I am hoping that in the not too distant future, an image like this will stand as a document of the time and its people. At least it will for me, as a record of the time.

Sometimes it is hard to appreciate the 'now' in a photograph.

By 'dutching', I guess you mean split-toning?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
In regards to Ken's reply I am hoping that in the not too distant future, an image like this will stand as a document of the time and its people. At least it will for me, as a record of the time.

Sometimes it is hard to appreciate the 'now' in a photograph.

By 'dutching', I guess you mean split-toning?

I agree that casual snaps are very often excellent time capsules, often unintentionally. But I'm not sure this image will stand to that, either. There's just nothing in it to strongly date it. In fact, if anything, the kids' retro-type dress will offer misleading clues.

"Dutching" refers to tilting the image's horizontal orientation.