• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

So, what is a digicam, anyway

D

Doug Kerr

I know it may seem ungrateful to come to a free ball game and complain about the name of the stadium ("Vaseline Field -- Ooh!"). But I always shudder at the term "digicam".

It is of course short for "digital camera", but by custom it is only applied to certain kinds of digital cameras. The trouble is, we really don't know what kind.

Does it apply to cameras that (and we can connect these criteria by our choice of the Boolean operators AND and OR):

- are not single lens reflex cameras
- do not have interchangeable lenses
- do not have focal-plane shutters
- do not feature a rangefinder
- are smaller than some envelope size
- cost less than some dollar amount
- have a format size smaller than some limit
- aren't about the shape of "traditional" film SLR cameras
- do not allow direct setting of aperture and/or shutter speed

and so forth?

I guess, "if we see one, we will know it."

I think this forum would have been better called, "other digital cameras".

Still, I guess "digicams" is better than "Point and Shoot".

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Doug,

As stated elsewhere, we are just building our house and the guest rooms have names that may have come to us at 3AM while building. We love to get constructive criticism like yours. I think Other Digital Cameras fits the bill nicely. Let's see what our other guests say before I change it.

BTW...are you one of those guys who comes to a free ball game and complains about the stadium?

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

BTW...are you one of those guys who comes to a free ball game and complains about the stadium?

Nah.

I don't go to ball games!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually, blame me for picking the term, "digicam". It is a fine word, not quite as rich and useful as malleable epithets in the Anglo-Saxon, but sort of similar.

Yes you are correct, Doug. A digicam can be made in so many ways. Sizes vary. Some are really DSLR's with a lens that wont come off. Others are minute! Some digicams even have technology that are as yet seen in "Profesional" Cameras.

The digicam can slip into your shirt pocket! It's there when your 1DII broke, was stolen, heaven forbid, or when they don't allow "Cameras"! The digicam delivers pictures that can be every bit as great as one you didn't get with the DSLR that, for any reason you didn't or couldn't have with you.

I have a series of over 3,000 pictures in Tuscany that are so wonderful. Who cares, or would know, that they were made on a modest Canon S50 Digicam?

Digicams, being so diminuitive are great for relaxing people before 4x5 or larger formal shoots when each sheet of film counts.

So for now, Digicam is in the ball court!

Asher :)

Last edited:
D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The digicam can slip into your shirt pocket!
Wow! That's great to know.

But I'm disappointed that my Fuji S602, Kodak DC4800, and Sony MVC-FD91 are not covered by any of the topic divisions of this forum system. Oh, well. Maybe I could have Carla make me a special shirt with larger pockets that would make them qualify in case I should need to ask anything about them here.

It's also great to know that that dSLRs without removable lenses are (also?) digicams - sort of like having dual citizenship, I guess.

Of course, you know I'm just pulling your leg - sort of.

Well, here's to our digicams, whataver they are - may they serve us well in venues where "cameras" are not allowed!

Best regards,

Doug

Gary C-G

I suggest a new title for the forum and one that would certainly attract my attention - shirt pocket cams.

I know that loads of "digicams" are just great hulking lumps with non-removable lenses and those have no attraction for me, but a shirt-pocket description implies a quality of transportability that is the grail of every photographer. yes I do have a 1DMkII but I am forever on the lookout for the perfect pocket cam.

Gary C-G said:
I suggest a new title for the forum and one that would certainly attract my attention - shirt pocket cams.

I know that loads of "digicams" are just great hulking lumps with non-removable lenses and those have no attraction for me, but a shirt-pocket description implies a quality of transportability that is the grail of every photographer. yes I do have a 1DMkII but I am forever on the lookout for the perfect pocket cam.

"shirt pocket" is a great qualifier. The Ricoh GR-D and the Leica D-Lux2 (or its less expensive Panasonic cousin) or the next generation product that combines the best elements of both should attract a interesting clientele. Even if the policy is that all homeless cameras come here, no matter how clunky or ugly (for example, if the Simmons Omega 120 users decide to drop in), we can use "shirt pocket" in the thread headline to define this interest group.

scott

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Scott,

"shirt pocket" is a great qualifier

Indeed. Even though it is not precisely defined, at least it implies a certain property (overall envelope size), which "digicam", or "point & shoot", and so forth hardly do.

Best regards,

Doug

Jeff Donovan

Just start a thread on your camera and see if anyone else has it and wants to compare notes.

Worst thing that happens is you get no response.