• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Conversions to Black and White I like

Mary Bull

Untutored gut instinct On B&W conversions

This was moved from B&W RGB Digital: a realized Adams dream or a fix-all. thread
http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920

Dierk Haasis said:
... Let's just say that I like the music image very much. ...
Oh, I did like it very much, too. "Love at first sight."

And, on another personal note: I still like the b&w rendition you did from a photo I had taken of a colorised studio portrait of me--the original made in 1943. The cropping, the b&w effects which you did, everything works, and I am proud to call it mine and use it, and still grateful to you for doing that favor, Dierk.

Further, the entire post to which I am responding here is both intuitively satisfying to me and a great essay from which to learn.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Mary Bull said:
[...] colorised studio portrait of me--the original made in 1943 [...]

Can't remember colour except for the browned paper, or are we talking different photos? But then, classical portrait, colorised (hence, b/w original) ... I run free.

Mary Bull

Perhaps what I sent you was browned.

Originally, my mother had it framed on the wall. That was definitely watercolor tint, overlaying a b&w image.

May not have come out in the Minolta snap I made through the glass of that picture.

Yes, we are talking about the same photo.

Mary

Mary Bull

There was another that you worked on for me, taken about age 22 or so. That was definitely b&w. I like what you did with it, tremendously, also.

The one I'm referring to in this post is the image I'm using with the mailing lists of The Bat!, our e-mail program.

Mary

Last edited: