• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Traveler

692217860_dMLYC-XL.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Very good. William. Using the diagonal lends the image some dynamism, particularly as the direction of "travel" is upper corner to lower corner. Good example of the frame's space "telling a story", of sorts, but actually being mostly empty. (Are you reading this Tom Robbins and Asher?)

Peripherally, the shape and texture of the thing is strongly reminiscent of a small, wet, dead bird. As such it immediately forces the viewer to first look closely at that lower corner to discover that it's not a bird. Then we pull back to see the turbulence trail. It's a good lesson in how a viewer's experience with an image can be managed using referential shapes and texture fields. Readers wanting to become more than casual bulls-eye snap-shooters should keep this image in mind as it presents a very good lesson example.

Well done, William. Bravo!

Doug Kerr

William,

Nice shot.
Using the diagonal lends the image some dynamism, particularly as the direction of "travel" is upper corner to lower corner. Good example of the frame's space "telling a story", of sorts, but actually being mostly empty. (Are you reading this Tom Robbins and Asher?)

Peripherally, the shape and texture of the thing is strongly reminiscent of a small, wet, dead bird. As such it immediately forces the viewer to first look closely at that lower corner to discover that it's not a bird. Then we pull back to see the turbulence trail. It's a good lesson in how a viewer's experience with an image can be managed using referential shapes and texture fields. Readers wanting to become more than casual bulls-eye snap-shooters should keep this image in mind as it presents a very good lesson example.
Ken,

Nice analysis.

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi William
I agree with all posters here and specially with Ken (kinda habit!), one thing though, is this a crop or a full frame?
I ask to understand if the composition was made early when framing or went when you developped the image…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Very good. William. Using the diagonal lends the image some dynamism, particularly as the direction of "travel" is upper corner to lower corner. Good example of the frame's space "telling a story", of sorts, but actually being mostly empty. (Are you reading this Tom Robbins and Asher?)

Well done Ken!

You have certainly removed a lot I might say, but not in that particular and well crafted way. Having agreed on the areas, patterns, texture and open space, there's a little more I'd ask for. There's more sand with the beginning of the disturbance in the surface and in the end there is more undisturbed sand that could be shown with benefit at the lower right. Use of this extra area might be worth considering in such a picture.

Still, just as it is, it's a good lesson in distinguishing the thoughtfully made picture from the snap. How many folk walked by this and had no idea what was beneath there feet?

asher

My choice of the declivity from left upper to right lower was just as you say, for dynamics. I simply found it more meteoric. (Probably from being right handed and loving the science of tracking a baseball's arc to right field for a natural catch.) The idea for forming a story came from childhood memories/fantasies that leaves blowing across a puddle were Lilliputian ships sailing across an ocean into war or discovery. I noted the silt trails as an opportunity to catch a wispy indication that my childhood vessels indeed had rudders. But perhaps another opportunity presented itself as I then noted that the smokey fading silt pattern was feathery and interwoven as if it were Keats' epitaph, writ in water, by a dying leaf.

Thank you for your enthusiasm, Ken.

Hi William
I agree with all posters here and specially with Ken (kinda habit!), one thing though, is this a crop or a full frame?
I ask to understand if the composition was made early when framing or went when you developped the image…

Hello Nicolas!

The image was intended as seen except originally the leaf was in the upper left instead of the bottom right. However this is a crop because I couldn't get low enough around the huge puddle with my 60mm macro to fill the frame without possibly slipping and submerging my beloved Fuji S5. If I had fallen with that camera then you would have heard me scream from the states. Take care.

Well done Ken!

You have certainly removed a lot I might say, but not in that particular and well crafted way. Having agreed on the areas, patterns, texture and open space, there's a little more I'd ask for. There's more sand with the beginning of the disturbance in the surface and in the end there is more undisturbed sand that could be shown with benefit at the lower right. Use of this extra area might be worth considering in such a picture.

Still, just as it is, it's a good lesson in distinguishing the thoughtfully made picture from the snap. How many folk walked by this and had no idea what was beneath there feet?

asher

Hello Asher,

I suspect I may have lacked in conveyance here. The photograph is of silt stirred by a leaf's stem as it was being blown through a puddle. (But interpretative views are quite fine by me; indeed I rather like them.) Thank you for the 'thoughtfully made' and for stopping by.

Mike Shimwell

William

The sand/water confusion caught me at first view and until I understood the way the water wraps over the leaf did not appear quite right. Now of course it is clear and this stands as a powerful image.

Thanks

Mike

Ken Tanaka

pro member
My choice of the declivity from left upper to right lower was just as you say, for dynamics. I simply found it more meteoric. (Probably from being right handed and loving the science of tracking a baseball's arc to right field for a natural catch.) ....

Indeed. It would be curiously interesting to know if there's a relationship between upper-left-to-lower-right compositions and right-handedness and/or cultures whose written language is also oriented as such.

I never considered the arc of a fly ball as a factor but, hey, ...

Indeed. It would be curiously interesting to know if there's a relationship between upper-left-to-lower-right compositions and right-handedness and/or cultures whose written language is also oriented as such.

There may be more to it than the culture/practicality of avoiding to smudge the ink, or being able to look at what was written a moment ago, as we are writing. There seems to be some brain wiring involved as well. I recall seeing a documentary where animals also (apparently) have a preference for left or right (e.g. which foot is moved forewards first from a stand still situation).

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
There's more sand with the beginning of the disturbance in the surface and in the end there is more undisturbed sand that could be shown with benefit at the lower right.

I really don't know why, but this sentence let me think to the Pink FLoyd song…

Daddy's home cross the Ocean.
Leaving just a memory.
The snapshot in the Family album.
Daddy what else did you leave for me?
Damn It! What did you leave behind for me?
All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.
No dark sarcasm in the classroom.
Teacher leave the kids alone.
Hey, teacher leave the kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Teachers leave those kids alone.
Hey, Teacher leave those kids alone!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

LoL? LoL!

I really don't know why, but this sentence let me think to the Pink FLoyd song…

Daddy's home cross the Ocean.
Leaving just a memory.
The snapshot in the Family album.
Daddy what else did you leave for me?
Damn It! What did you leave behind for me?
All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.

Teacher leave the kids alone.
Hey, teacher leave the kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Teachers leave those kids alone.
Hey, Teacher leave those kids alone!

LoL? LoL!

LOL, Indeed! Why didn't I think of this?

William

The sand/water confusion caught me at first view and until I understood the way the water wraps over the leaf did not appear quite right. Now of course it is clear and this stands as a powerful image.

Thanks

Mike

Thank you, Micheal. (God, my words sounded like KITT from Knight Rider!) The pursuit for something ubiquitously ZEN to photograph continues...