• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Needs a Verb

Kevin Bjorke

I got a new haircut, which gave me an excuse....

Not exactly the most-innovative set in the world but so many self-portraits seem completely inert, which I can't stand. So I cranked-up the $20 Home Depot worklights and did some experiments.

Canon dRebel, Zeiss-Contax 50mm f/1.4 (around 1/20 @ f/2.8 if I recall).

Mary Bull

Indeed, a verb in active voice!

And in black-and-white, too! Could almost--if we had a film strip projector--make a movie out of it!

I really do like these!

Mary

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
Mary
your wish is exhausted
http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/anim.swf
Sorry, Kevin, I couldn't resist <he had to say>
(rolling on floor laughing out loud)
Parody*: The one thing I regret, she said, is that it cannot speak.

*From Lewis Carroll's "The Mad Gardener":
He thought he saw a Rattlesnake
That questioned him in Greek:
He looked again, and found it was
The Middle of Next Week.
'The one thing I regret,' he said,
'Is that it cannot speak!'
LOL

Mary

Mary Bull

"The One Thing I Regret," she said, "Is That It Cannot Speak."

Nicolas Claris said:
Mary
as you may know, I'm not really a fan of B&W, but in this case, the focus is more on Kevin's attitudes than on it's T shirt color...
Yes, it's a profound statement, and color would have destroyed the message, IMO!

By the way, Mary have you checked the link I posted just above?
http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/anim.swf
I made it for you!

I did see it! I was helpless with laughter for a full five minutes--such a surprise, and I didn't know such things are possible. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making it just for me.

I had to spend a bit of time to google for Lewis Carroll's verse so I could attribute the line that came to mind (see post title).

That's why I answered your second post to me this afternoon before I wrote an answer to the movie post. I *love* that movie. It is true art, in the vein of the very early 20th century!

You and Kevin should get your copyright notice on it!!

Mary

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
Mary
as you may know, I'm not really a fan of B&W ...
Nicolas, did you notice the two portraits of me as a young girl, in the Photography as Art forum, thread "Heirloom Photos, Rescued, Whether B/W or Otherwise"?

I posted them early this morning, because Asher had told me PM it would be a good idea to do that.

But so far, no one has commented. Either everyone hates them and is too polite to say so, or else no one has discovered the thread. <she said smiling>

Go have a look. See if you like them. < hint, hint >

Mary

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Mary Bull said:
Nicolas, did you notice the two portraits of me as a young girl, in the Photography as Art forum, thread "Heirloom Photos, Rescued, Whether B/W or Otherwise"?

I posted them early this morning, because Asher had told me PM it would be a good idea to do that.

But so far, no one has commented. Either everyone hates them and is too polite to say so, or else no one has discovered the thread. <she said smiling>

Go have a look. See if you like them. < hint, hint >

Mary
No I haven't seen them yet, but I'll surely look at them in a few minutes.
As you may have seen, I'm not really present in OPF nowadyas, as it is a very very busy period. Lot of shoots, lot of work 7 days a week... and OPF 2 hours each nights (like now), I have time to read but not always to reply as I should and wish...

I'll try my best, I promise ;-)
<he said with the hand on the heart>

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
No I haven't seen them yet, but I'll surely look at them in a few minutes.
As you may have seen, I'm not really present in OPF nowadyas, as it is a very very busy period. Lot of shoots, lot of work 7 days a week... and OPF 2 hours each nights (like now), I have time to read but not always to reply as I should and wish...

I'll try my best, I promise ;-)
<he said with the hand on the heart>
I understand. Work has to come first. Just thought you might like them.
< she said, blowing him a kiss >

Mary Bull

Ah, Nicolas! I'm old enough to be everyone's mother here, and in the age-bracket of the grandmothers of some members.

It is so much fun to write to all of you at OPF.

Mary

nicolas claris

Surely,
I did guess that, but it is amazing as for a "GrandMother" you've been so fast to learn how to use OPF.
You're so brilliant and bring so much to us in return.
Life sometimes brings incredible and unexpected encounters... <he said with a large smile. Again>

Don Lashier

Mary Bull said:
I'm old enough to be everyone's mother here

My reaction was "I'm old enough to be your son". BTW my mom turned 96 last month (old enough to be your mother ;) ). I was a mid-life mistake, or rather my brother was and I was planned so he wouldn't grow up alone.

- DL

Mary Bull

Don Lashier said:
My reaction was "I'm old enough to be your son". BTW my mom turned 96 last month (old enough to be your mother ;) ). I was a mid-life mistake, or rather my brother was and I was planned so he wouldn't grow up alone.
Ah, indeed.
I have a "planned" little sister, 17 years my junior--at least, planned by my father, who said (quoting my mother's letter to me, when I was in my first semester of college, to tell me a next-summer's baby was on the way):
"All the children are growing up and leaving home. We need another little one running around the house."
He was 56 years old at the time, to my mother's then 38.
Parents are amazing, aren't they!

All the best to your mother, who is indeed old enough to be my mother.

Mary

nicolas claris

After these last exchanges between Mary and Don, I now understand the moving and reverb faces of the orignal poster Kevin!

nicolas claris

Mary Bull said:
And when are you going to add reverb to the movie you made for me, Nicolas?
< mischievous grin >

SCNR

Mary
Well
open it again (http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/anim.swf)look at it full screen, and watch forgetting the rest of the world. After a few dozens of seconds, you'll feel so attracted, that, for a while, you'll forget your cat(s). Insn't this a kind of reverb?
Try it! and jerk! < he said while thinkink to the poor cat(s) starving! >

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
Well
open it again (http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/anim.swf)look at it full screen, and watch forgetting the rest of the world. After a few dozens of seconds, you'll feel so attracted, that, for a while, you'll forget your cat(s). Insn't this a kind of reverb?
Try it! and jerk! < he said while thinkink to the poor cat(s) starving! >

Nicolas, you know that I was only teasing. < blowing a kiss to you >

But you're right! The impact of viewing the movie full-screen is much greater than one would imagine. It's hypnotic! Yes, the reverb is there!

Sorry I didn't get to view and reply as soon as you sent the post.

I was off in the living room, petting and feeding my beautiful gray feline. I have put a dusky rose throw over the couch for him. But he's far too jerky--as jerky as the movie--and so I can't capture him, gray on rose, for you. Nor the silver lights on his chest fur in the afternoon sunshine.

< end colorful message >

Mary

P.S. Again, thanks a million for the wonderful animation! MB

nicolas claris

Sorry I didn't get to view and reply as soon as you sent the post.
I'm happy for the cat.
Grey on rose? I would love to see! try to avoid the surrounding, frame it close-up! may be from top? (camera looking down?)
I'm an amateur of very large prints (some of mine are more than 9 feet long), so I try to have the maximum of pixels and no reframe after the shoot is done...

Mary Bull

Next time I catch him asleep on the rose-colored throw.

He curls up in a corner of the couch when the house is cold. Otherwise, sleeps on my horn case under the grand piano.

Have to wait for another cold snap--unless I set the air conditioner down low, which is against my environmental principles. < smiling at you, nevertheless >

I'll shoot looking straight down, as you advise. And hold my elbows in close to steady the camera.

May be awhile, though.

Mary

Kevin Bjorke

Nicolas Claris said:
Mary as you may know, I'm not really a fan of B&W, but in this case, the focus is more on Kevin's attitudes than on it's T shirt color...
The shirt is in color -- it's black :)

Thanks! Personally I'm a huge fan of B&W for portraits because I think form is more important than tone in recognition of identity AND identification of emotion/mood/whatever. You can do it in color, sure. But color overlays something else that's not "direct portrait" (for lack of a better term).

The movie is funny, it's actually not unlike how I do selects -- use the Adobe Bridge slide show feature and let the pix cycle for a while, then assign some # of stars to the one I like best, filter just those pix, let it cycle for a while, alter the ratings, repeat... narrowing until I get the ones I like (or in this case just taking about 1/2 of the session)

I kind of like the last two as a connected dyptich, ymmv

Don Lashier

Kevin Bjorke said:
The shirt is in color -- it's black :)

Personally I'm a huge fan of B&W for portraits ...

But then how would Timothy Leary return ??? ;)

But seriously, I pretty much agree with you - prefer b/w for portraits.

- DL