• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Like the Layout, Hate the Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Doug Kerr said:
Hi, Nicolas,

Browser now is IE 6.0.

I can enter é, è, ç, ±, etc in the usual way with no problem. Zut alors!

Go figure!

Curse you, Bill Gates!

Best regards,

Doug
Well
Im' happy that you did find the way to go...
Compliance with all OS and browsers is the everyday headache for the web developper...
Hence this is not our part but Vbulletin work we'll certainely make your remarks about that issue be known to them.

I understand your comments about Bill G. (remember, I'm a Mac user!) why don't you give a try to Netscape?

Thanks again

nicolas claris

scott kirkpatrick said:
I've set things to make all the text black. But the color chosen for the site is one that I (and perhaps others) just don't care much for.

A little thing. If you have some control over the forum software, can you include "all" as well as specific page "1-2-3" so that when a thread gets impassioned I can just keep scrolling? The Pixmantec forum does this. I've started looking at the threaded view as well, but that obscures a lot.

Final, really OT question -- Have you gotten any shots of Jim Clark's latest enormous yacht? It was comissioned in Amsterdam a year or so ago, and was the state of the art in automation for a (mostly) sail vessel.

scott

Hi again Scott
Sorry to be late but we do not live in the same clock area!

To simplify your browsing, in reagrds to each forum, you have on the right hand side a small buton (like this or like this ) clicking them may let you to collapse or spread the list of topics.

Your final question is REALLY OT !!!
however, no I've not been involved in this project, you may see a lot of pictures on the shipyard website http://www.royalhuisman.com/p_mi_athena.htm

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Compliance with all OS and browsers is the everyday headache for the web developper...
Indeed! An irritating reality to an old standards guy like me!

Hence this is not our part but Vbulletin work we'll certainely make your remarks about that issue be known to them.
Sounds good to me.

why don't you give a try to Netscape?
Oh, I normally use Mozilla Firefox, of which Netscape is the bastard child.

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Nicolas Claris said:
Hi Doug,

Written with Firefox 1.5 Mac:
&é§èàïîôâê

FYI!
Well! No need to curse!

Seriously, if that was supposed to be:

&é§èàïîôâê

then it worked fine.

(Of course I had to put those in from the Character Map applet.)

Carla (Ka-la Tsu-la Gi-go-ge) says it is a shame that the BBS system doesn't support any Cherokee syllabary font!

Thanks.

Nicolas Claris said:
Hi again Scott
Sorry to be late but we do not live in the same clock area!

Actually, we do. I'm an hour east of you (but 4+ hours by plane). Maybe I was writing late on second shift.

Nicolas Claris said:
Your final question is REALLY OT !!!
however, no I've not been involved in this project, you may see a lot of pictures on the shipyard website http://www.royalhuisman.com/p_mi_athena.htm

I've seen those. They are very staid, so perhaps that is the purpose of the ship and the life she will lead. But with all that sail area and a 80+ meter waterline, Athena is practically a Clipper ship. Think what she would look like going as fast as possible in a good 30 knot wind.

regards,

scott

Jason Anderson

Nicolas Claris said:
Well
Im' happy that you did find the way to go...

I understand your comments about Bill G. (remember, I'm a Mac user!) why don't you give a try to Netscape?

Thanks again

I shudder when I have to use IE, but I shudder even more with the idea of Netscape. Mozilla/Firefox seems to have become the de facto alternative for Windows users while Mac users default to Safari. SUpporting the aging Netscape users on campus is a daily nightmare for me because there is quite literally no support for Netscape and ajax applications act very wierd in it. When I design my sites, I check cross-compatability in IE, Firefox, and Safari (Opera tends to behave the same way as Safari - plus those three browsers encompass roughly 99.2% of the internet community).

In terms of the color scheme, I like it but I also find the black text easier to read. Higher contrast for text is much easier than lower contrasts.

As to the BBS code and special characters, is this an incarnation of phpBB? While I've heard of the VBulletin line, I was not sure if that was associated with the phpBB crowd. Anyway, the phpBB modifies nicely to include special characters off the character map, anda the entire site is also easily modifiable to several themes should the admin decide to let the users change as they see fit. (I did not go that route on my forum, as I wanted the users to all see things essentially the same way. Nice to know the customization is there though should I ever want to make it more feature rich.)

Here, OS really flip flops depending on what I am doing (at work) but I use the 10.4.3 flavor of Mac, and Windows XP Pro.

At home I have a Dell (sorry - can't afford the Mac yet), with a 1907FP monitor and the standard 15" LCD for all my tool pads (start menu, PS palletes, etc.)

Man, that was a long tangent:

My main point was that when I uploaded a jpg to test, it worked, but displayed as a link, not an image. This in and of itself is fine, but I would venture to guess that people would prefer to see images inline. I went ahead and changed it form a desktop upload to an embedded image and it displays inline now, but this also would require users to have an online image archive area already. Granted many do at places like smugmug, pbase, dpreview, and a host of others (my own little pond of ppl in SC have unlimited use of the gallery for the time being), but anyway, the ability to embed images from other sites might not be had by all. Just some food for though. (And don't go over to that thread to view image - it's a lame workup that went awry in many regards. Just figured I'd test an image and since that was the most recent one I was working on, it was the victim of the test.)

Last edited:

Peter Gregg

I just joined and the colors look like Carmel colored borders with type that is a light version of the border color. They type is hard to read because of the lightness of it. Possibly a black type or a contrasty blue would make it seem a more solid color type font color to make it easier to read.

Peter

nicolas claris

Bonjour Peter
welcome to OPF!

Read a little above and you'll find how to get easily black typing when changing of style.
Have great time here!

Daniel Harrison

pro member
I also find the brown text disturbing, I have changed to balck and it is much better. I also did not know that you were supposed to use your real name as your user name- I don't suppose there is a way to change it?
Thanks!

just send an email or private message to michael tapes (listed as a founding moderator) -- he can dig into the database and fix things for you. Apparently the forum software makes this irreversible at the user level.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We take all suggestions and put them in the pot for any future rework of the interface. We have had great feedback!

After June 7th, we'll close this particular room," OPF, Look Feel and Vibe"! So any new ideas are welcome until then here and then afterwards from the front page.

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.