• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Landscapes, politics, and grammar

Mary Bull

Hi all,

This is a daughter thread, moved from the Digicams forum. First Sean gave me some counseling about my G2, for which I posted my hearty thanks to him.

And then he gave me further fine advice on good places to shoot pictures in Middle Tennessee.

So I begin with Sean's quote of my post that brought the shooting comments from him:

Quote:Originally Posted by Mary Bull
Here on the southern edge of Nashville I am already practically in the countryside. And the weather's turned cooler. So a good day for a walk when daylight arrives, and even though we are six to eight weeks off fall color time, there is much beauty all around, and much of interest. I might even get lucky and catch one of those scampering squirrels which haunt my yard.
Quote:Originally posted by Sean DeMerchant
If you can handle some exertion, then I would suggest visiting Machine Falls in Short Springs State Natural Areaoutside Tullahoma which in summary could be written up as why I feel violated by (the verbose phrase for hate) the TVA as once upon a time before the TVA damns (intentional misspelling) TN was on par with Hawaii for spectacular lush georguous waterfalls. Just be cautions of thunderstorms with their associated flooding due to the clay soil and of the copperheads (venomous snakes). Next time I go there I intend to go in copperhead season with leather pants (have yet to buy them, but I would never wear chaps except in the bush), long sleaved shirt, and my lucky fishing hat (something I only wear in the woods and never fish in as I have always caught fish while wearing it [the one time I fished in it] <superstitious grin> and prefer to save the luck for when I want fresh fish for dinner).
This comment is a minor masterpiece of pictorial writing Sean! Thanks a million.
Yes, I know the area well, but post-TVA dams.
Lived in Decherd for a short while, with husband and very young firstborn, in a little housetrailer parked on a high hill of a farm.
Have many Bull in-laws currently in Winchester and Cowan. (BTW, Cowan has a great CSX train tunnel, heading up the steep grade to Sewanee Mountain.)

Unfortunately, I don't drive the Interstate. But if my in-town nephew, train buff and world traveler, can shake loose some weekend, I'll try to get him to take me to Machine Falls.
I once upon a time lived in Tullahoma when I attended UTSI. One of my return visit goals is to shoot Machine Falls and the creek in through the natural area (plus hauling out some trash). I intend to schedule 3 days for the shoot to catch the right light. This locale is about 60 miles down I-24 and 10-15 miles away from the interstate from Nashville. I find the Short Springs Natural Area far more special than the Smokies which look like the foothills of the Cascade Mountains.
Oh, I hope you get to carry out the dream soon. When you're ready to do it, post a PM to me here at OPF and I'll give you my telephone number. At least we could speak on the phone--if you happen to fly into Nashville rather than Chattanooga--or perhaps even get together for a bite to eat.
But then, just getting off the interstate and heading 20-30 miles out of Nashville will yield spectacular pastorals in the right light.
I know. My nephew often drives his mother (my older sister) and me over these hills, just for the enjoyable views, right around the sunset hour, after we've been out to dinner together.

And we have some wonderful large parks where he takes us, also. There's Radnor Lake, a privately maintained park not 5 miles from me. And Percy Warner and Edwin Warner, and many more. And of course, Percy Priest Lake (courtesy of the TVA damming project, which drowned the farm of my Tennessee ancestors).
My other goal beyond visiting friends on that trip is to visit Knoxville and the UTK campus as I got my M.S. from UTK and have never been to Knoxville. Beyond that, I know a beekeeper (a friend too) who will hook me up with gear (spare suit) and let me get shots of of the males and queens in her apiaries which is another thing on primary my list of things to get shots of. And of course, there are the chigger bites/clogged pores and insect shots I expect to get. I am just unsure of how to get a shot of one of the 10 cm long roaches without killing them as I only saw two of those monsters in 2 years there (and one was the dead [or soon to be] toy of a cat).
<rolling on the floor laughing out loud>
I've been to Knoxville to a teacher's conference, back when I was teaching h.s. english (sic) in Cleveland, Tennessee, halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville.
Later, in Logan County, Kentucky, my husband was a serious beekeeper (6 hives) on our farm. Kept them for the honey and for pollination purposes. Know all about bee-keeping equipment. <grin>
ACK, also, roaches are good cat toys. hehehe
enjoy your day y'all,
Sean <still grinning with warmth and knowing how to bloody well talk southern*>
Y'all could just as well say you-uns, that close to the East Tennessee Appalachian dialect. <rolling on floor laughing>
* Tullahoma is pronounced /Tell-a-ho-ma
Better believe it!
and the word "y'all" no longer sends nasty grammatical shivers up my spine as it did in my early 20s.
Note to non-southern (U.S.A.) speakers: Y'all be strickly a ploorl (i.e., plural) form.
Enjoy!
Mary

Hi Mary,

Sorry about the delayed response. But my last one was a long one and I lost it after about 40 minutes of typing so I have been reticent to type again. This one will sadly be shorter, but a reply is nonetheless deserved. <smiling>
Mary Bull said:
This comment is a minor masterpiece of pictorial writing Sean! Thanks a million.
Yes, I know the area well, but post-TVA dams.
No worries, they had damned the valleys and their beauty long before I was born (1972).
Mary Bull said:
Lived in Decherd for a short while, with husband and very young firstborn, in a little housetrailer parked on a high hill of a farm.
Had to look that up, quite close to Tullahome.
Mary Bull said:
Have many Bull in-laws currently in Winchester and Cowan. (BTW, Cowan has a great CSX train tunnel, heading up the steep grade to Sewanee Mountain.)
I will add that to the list to look at. I am not a big train buff, but tunnels and other ends of the earth intrigue me.
Mary Bull said:
Unfortunately, I don't drive the Interstate. But if my in-town nephew, train buff and world traveler, can shake loose some weekend, I'll try to get him to take me to Machine Falls.
Just be aware, it is moderately strenuous and can involve short navigations of steep areas to travel down the stream along with walking on loose rocky terrain which is hard on the ankles and hips. But the upper stream by the road is incredible. It is almost cubist in nature (note I majored in math not art history so my allusion is likely off but still descriptive). You can walk across the stream in running shoes at one point and keep your toes dry even though it is 30 feet wide (10 m).
Mary Bull said:
Oh, I hope you get to carry out the dream soon. When you're ready to do it, post a PM to me here at OPF and I'll give you my telephone number. At least we could speak on the phone--if you happen to fly into Nashville rather than Chattanooga--or perhaps even get together for a bite to eat.
My goal is to fly into Atlanta on a Wednesday or Thursday, visit friends for the weekend (free "hotel" ;) ) and see the town. And then be a good guest and dissappear from Sunday night until Friday to shoot about the South and then stay the weekend and fly out on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Since my main photographic target is Tullahoma between 9:00 a.m and 3:00 p.m. for a few days to get a least a decent shot I already had at least an evening in Nashville on the list so good company would not be averse. Though I would suggest food and a sunset shoot. ;) But that is my style (shoot with the light and eat when nature disdains me with poor light).

And of course a stop by the old campus and a couple calls if people are not still there (one TN prof who should still be in Nashville and our group secretary who took awesome care of me*).

* My "student mentor"/predecessor introduced me to our group secrectary Brenda after telling me to take good care of her as she is valuable and worth caring for. Awesome advice just for her personality and loving self. Awesome advice too because whenever I needed anything it was simply handled with a smile and best wishes to me. <grinning like a fool> Truth be told, I have always talked to everyone and been well cared for, but secrectaries are goddesses (never met a male one so I excluded the PC /other gender variant) who I have since always cared well for whatever they need. In turn, whenever I need something I have always found my paper based needs met with a true smile in the eyes and a no paperwork hassles. I guess one could call it teamwork, but community goes so much further.
Mary Bull said:
Sean Demerchant said:
My other goal beyond visiting friends on that trip is to visit Knoxville and the UTK campus as I got my M.S. from UTK and have never been to Knoxville. Beyond that, I know a beekeeper (a friend too) who will hook me up with gear (spare suit) and let me get shots of of the males and queens in her apiaries which is another thing on primary my list of things to get shots of.
<rolling on the floor laughing out loud>
The school tale gets laughs at parties and I can always say that I have honestly studied under rocket scientists too. But the bees are as important as seeing where my degree is from.
Mary Bull said:
Y'all could just as well say you-uns, that close to the East Tennessee Appalachian dialect. <rolling on floor laughing>
No worries. I was told while there my affected accent (drawling while talking makes listenin simpler too) was very deep south. But when I got there I spent my first six months smiling and saying yes like a polite Japanese foreign exchange student. Eventually I could understand that deep Appa-southern accent and since I have never had an issue with drawls except when I took it to its logical conclusion and went too far for southners outside Appalachia to comprehend me.

I have many times considered dressing up as a Southern Gentleman for a Halloween party as I could pull it off to a tee on top of being able to drink myself stupid and stay in costume (there is no drunken slurring in a southern drawl as one is already slurring when drawling ;) ).

As to yall bein plural, I done thought it were singlar with all yall being the plural. We'all being the self inclusive plural.

Anyway, all yall just take care of youselves and go out and git some fun shots.

enjoy,

Sean <still grinning like a silly fool as he loves socializing>

p.s., I will PM you before heading that way. My time frame is next spring or the the following. But that could change. But that region is nonetheless on the short list.

Mary Bull

Sean DeMerchant said:
Hi Mary,
Sorry about the delayed response. But my last one was a long one and I lost it after about 40 minutes of typing so I have been reticent to type again. This one will sadly be shorter, but a reply is nonetheless deserved. <smiling>
No worries.
I *knew* you had to be a kindred spirit and worth waiting for.
No worries, they had damned the valleys and their beauty long before I was born (1972).
I love the double entendre that your spelling makes on "dammed." < smiling >

On Decherd, Tennessee, Sean said:
Had to look that up, quite close to Tullahome.
Yes. And Tullahoma is familiar to me for other reasons. Many a time my husband
and I drove down that long tree-lined road which runs beside the Arnold Engineering Development Center on the way to visit his father in Winchester, Tennessee (and later his brothers, after we lost his father in 1982).

It was the shortest route from Bowling Green, Kentucky, bypassing Nashville, going by Murfreesboro to Nashville's east.

On the waterfall place:
Just be aware, it is moderately strenuous and can involve short navigations of steep areas to travel down the stream along with walking on loose rocky terrain which is hard on the ankles and hips. But the upper stream by the road is incredible. It is almost cubist in nature (note I majored in math not art history so my allusion is likely off but still descriptive). You can walk across the stream in running shoes at one point and keep your toes dry even though it is 30 feet wide (10 m).
Well, it might be too much for me, after all. I have some issues with my lower back and left leg. But we could go have a look-see. I'm a fairly big risk-taker.

On Sean's travel plans:
My goal is to fly into Atlanta on a Wednesday or Thursday, visit friends for the weekend (free "hotel" ;) ) and see the town. And then be a good guest and dissappear from Sunday night until Friday to shoot about the South and then stay the weekend and fly out on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Since my main photographic target is Tullahoma between 9:00 a.m and 3:00 p.m. for a few days to get a least a decent shot I already had at least an evening in Nashville on the list so good company would not be averse. Though I would suggest food and a sunset shoot. ;) But that is my style (shoot with the light and eat when nature disdains me with poor light).
Would suit me to a T!
Views before food, always the best priority.

Sean's reminiscences on one of his alma maters:
And of course a stop by the old campus and a couple calls if people are not still there (one TN prof who should still be in Nashville and our group secretary who took awesome care of me*).

* My "student mentor"/predecessor introduced me to our group secrectary Brenda after telling me to take good care of her as she is valuable and worth caring for. Awesome advice just for her personality and loving self. Awesome advice too because whenever I needed anything it was simply handled with a smile and best wishes to me. <grinning like a fool> Truth be told, I have always talked to everyone and been well cared for, but secrectaries are goddesses (never met a male one so I excluded the PC /other gender variant) who I have since always cared well for whatever they need. In turn, whenever I need something I have always found my paper based needs met with a true smile in the eyes and a no paperwork hassles. I guess one could call it teamwork, but community goes so much further.
You will certainly be wanting to make time to visit old friends.

Sean on bees:
The school tale gets laughs at parties and I can always say that I have honestly studied under rocket scientists too. But the bees are as important as seeing where my degree is from.
Indeed, I regard bees as deeply important, also.
They are part of our web of life, most beneficial to mankind--though from a bee's point of view, probably the other way around, especially the domesticated ones.
(Similar to cats, LOL)

Sean on the Southern Drawl:
No worries. I was told while there my affected accent (drawling while talking makes listenin simpler too) was very deep south. But when I got there I spent my first six months smiling and saying yes like a polite Japanese foreign exchange student. Eventually I could understand that deep Appa-southern accent and since I have never had an issue with drawls except when I took it to its logical conclusion and went too far for southners outside Appalachia to comprehend me.

I have many times considered dressing up as a Southern Gentleman for a Halloween party as I could pull it off to a tee on top of being able to drink myself stupid and stay in costume (there is no drunken slurring in a southern drawl as one is already slurring when drawling ;) ).
This Ah'd love to see!

But, bein' originally from South Texas, Ah barely knows what y'all (s.) is talkin' 'bout.
As to yall bein plural, I done thought it were singlar with all yall being the plural. We'all being the self inclusive plural.
Ain't no authority, ackshully, an' deeply regret havin' made such a pretentious statement.

Ah's a-goin' with you-uns's take on't.
Anyway, all yall just take care of youselves and go out and git some fun shots.

enjoy,
Y'all, too. < very big silly grin of my own >

Sean <still grinning like a silly fool as he loves socializing>

Mary < rapturously restraining herself from offering Sean a bearhug >
<since she also loves socializing>

p.s., I will PM you before heading that way. My time frame is next spring or the the following. But that could change. But that region is nonetheless on the short list.
We shall play it all by ear, okay?

Keep on a-writin' and a-shootin'!

Mary < final happy sig >

Mary Bull said:
No worries.
I *knew* you had to be a kindred spirit and worth waiting for.
Merci. <big silly grin with a gentle laugh>
Mary Bull said:
I love the double entendre that your spelling makes on "dammed." < smiling >
I once had some silly fool try to call my on making negative comments on the Three Gorges Damn and its destruction of major elements of their art-historical heritage, how it would save lives via flood control, and my "evil" support of similar projects in the USA when I had never made a comment in my life (verbal or written in support of such) and would honestly like to see most of the damns of the landscape in the USA go. Yes, cheap power would be lost, but 3 generations from now when oil is rare the restored salmon runs would keep elements of the econemy and food chain working.
Mary Bull said:
On Decherd, Tennessee, Sean said:

Yes. And Tullahoma is familiar to me for other reasons. Many a time my husband
and I drove down that long tree-lined road which runs beside the Arnold Engineering Development Center on the way to visit his father in Winchester, Tennessee (and later his brothers, after we lost his father in 1982).
All I have to say is to watch for deer in there. Lots of the land around there is leased to farmers for the cost of leaving half their crop (or some portion thereof) for the deer to feed on. Albeit, I favored the drive out over the hilltop past the farms straight to Woods resevoir and then along it.

Did you ever hear the tale about the city boy who stopped on his bike ride to school (about 9 miles one way) and rang a farmers doorbell to let him know some of his cows were out and grazing at the side of the road? Well, the farmer after some chitchat letting the poor city boy know he was a known sight cycling past and finally mentioning the cows were out on the side of the road was asked if the cows were very muscular and large? Saying yes, then said good-samaritan city boy was told those were not cows, but rather young mischevious bulls that liked to sneek out. ;)

This was the same route where said unnamed city boy learned to always lock his jaws and keep his teeth together while cycling as one inhaled less insects when breathing hard.

Nonetheless, the ride home rocked! When the humidity hit 90%+ I would ride past farms for a mile straight into the blood red setting sun and stare right into it which simply cannot be done without massive afterimages in the eyes. Another one I would like to capture on film.

Heck, even when driving I would go for 5:00 p.m. rides in 95+ F weather when I needed to be out of doors as even the moderate exertion to go 14 MPH was less stressful/cooler than a gentle walk due to the breeze cycling induced. There are some incredibly lovely routes out there with a canopy of trees over the road. One of my favorite rides was to go out to Normandy along the rail lines and ride back past the George Dickel Distillery on Cascade Hollow Road. You would ride down this lovely road and then see the distillery and then hit this incredible hill (dime a dozen in Seattle, but real hills are rare in that area exlcluding the Cumberland Plateau) and go from tired with a 200' climb (rough verrtical measure) to a godly tired and blessed with a runners high 3-5 minutes later at the top. Going up the hill may sound like a silly joy but I rode down it once and rode the brakes the whole way down due to the rough pavement. This is one area where toe clips on a bike rule as you use both the front and back side of the HUGE muscles in your thighs for power and without pulling up on the pedals with toeclips it would suck.

Now, I am not that fit. I have filled out since my 20's (more upper body labor mass and a dash more fat, but most of the added 20 pounds is healthy mass) and no longer regularly cycle and cycling means moving too fast to see what I am seeing and I would rather walk slowly and compose while I watch. Albeit, what was once upon a time a 1 hour walk is now a 4 hour affair with half of that spent in various states of squatting to get the right angle which is just as much worik and it yields photos.

In short, I am 33 (almost 34) so while past my physical prime (it takes 2 or 3 days to adapt rather than 1 day), I still like to keep going. Last blood pressure check I had I was spot on (slightly on the good side) after 4 or 5 days of being ill. And since cardiac problems are in the family, I try to ensure I get decent cardio regulary.
Mary Bull said:
On the waterfall place:

Well, it might be too much for me, after all. I have some issues with my lower back and left leg. But we could go have a look-see. I'm a fairly big risk-taker.
I know the main trail goes along the top of the canyon but I cannot remember if there was an easy access to the canyon as I always went down along the creek. If you do not mind wet feet and have a steady hand to hold in a few spots, then the creek is navigable by a healthy individual depending on your value of a healthy individual and your value of a steady hand.

I vaguely remember an easy-ish access at the end, but I honestly cannot be certain as I never took that route but on the way out.

PM me and I will hook you up with Google Earth screencaps so you can find it. But I prefer to not widely distribute others copyrighted data for copyright reasons.
Mary Bull said:
On Sean's travel plans:

Would suit me to a T!
Views before food, always the best priority.
My general list of priorities is:

Water, snack, water, shoot, water, shoot, water, eat, water, ....

Albeit, I write views before food as coffee for breakfast and use fast shutter speeds. ;))
Mary Bull said:
Sean on the Southern Drawl:

This Ah'd love to see!

But, bein' originally from South Texas, Ah barely knows what y'all (s.) is talkin' 'bout.
Another plural, yalls as in what is yalls doin? <silly smile>
Mary Bull said:
Ain't no authority, ackshully, an' deeply regret havin' made such a pretentious statement.
No worries. I am still unure how much cocaine the local cops grabbed when they seize three furths of a point of cocaine and ran that past the editor of the local paper. 0.75 or 0.6 pounds? Or was it firths? Whatever, it was a deep southernism by someone who missed english class in high school.
Mary Bull said:
Mary < rapturously restraining herself from offering Sean a bearhug >
<since she also loves socializing>
<pleased smile and freely given hug>
I am of the hugs over handshakes school as that marks community/family. But I stick with the sterile distancing handshape where professionalism warrants while feeling sleezy doing it ( I have hippy in me even if my parents are squares ;) ).
Mary Bull said:
We shall play it all by ear, okay?

Will do.

sweet dreams, (it is late here and post sunrise there)

Sean

Mary Bull

Sean DeMerchant said:
Merci. <big silly grin with a gentle laugh>

I once had some silly fool try to call my on making negative comments on the Three Gorges Damn and its destruction of major elements of their art-historical heritage, how it would save lives via flood control, and my "evil" support of similar projects in the USA when I had never made a comment in my life (verbal or written in support of such) and would honestly like to see most of the damns of the landscape in the USA go. Yes, cheap power would be lost, but 3 generations from now when oil is rare the restored salmon runs would keep elements of the econemy and food chain working.
Amen to that! And I speak as one whose late husband earned his half of our living by working for TVA all his post-WWII life (after the army discharged him as an 18-year-old first sgt., MP).

All I have to say is to watch for deer in there. Lots of the land around there is leased to farmers for the cost of leaving half their crop (or some portion thereof) for the deer to feed on. Albeit, I favored the drive out over the hilltop past the farms straight to Woods resevoir and then along it.
Yes, many a deer now--and not just there, but all over Middle Tennessee. Somewhat of a driving hazard, beautiful though they are.

It's been about 20 years since I was on that road (the one beside the AEDC).

Sean as raconteur:

Did you ever hear the tale about the city boy who stopped on his bike ride to school (about 9 miles one way) and rang a farmers doorbell to let him know some of his cows were out and grazing at the side of the road? Well, the farmer after some chitchat letting the poor city boy know he was a known sight cycling past and finally mentioning the cows were out on the side of the road was asked if the cows were very muscular and large? Saying yes, then said good-samaritan city boy was told those were not cows, but rather young mischevious bulls that liked to sneek out. ;)

This was the same route where said unnamed city boy learned to always lock his jaws and keep his teeth together while cycling as one inhaled less insects when breathing hard.
LOL

Sean seguing to himself on bike:

Nonetheless, the ride home rocked! When the humidity hit 90%+ I would ride past farms for a mile straight into the blood red setting sun and stare right into it which simply cannot be done without massive afterimages in the eyes. Another one I would like to capture on film.

Heck, even when driving I would go for 5:00 p.m. rides in 95+ F weather when I
needed to be out of doors as even the moderate exertion to go 14 MPH was less stressful/cooler than a gentle walk due to the breeze cycling induced. There are some incredibly lovely routes out there with a canopy of trees over the road. One of my favorite rides was to go out to Normandy along the rail lines and ride back past the George Dickel Distillery on Cascade Hollow Road. You would ride down this lovely road and then see the distillery and then hit this incredible hill (dime a dozen in Seattle, but real hills are rare in that area exlcluding the Cumberland Plateau) and go from tired with a 200' climb (rough verrtical measure) to a godly tired and blessed with a runners high 3-5 minutes later at the top. Going up the hill may sound like a silly joy but I rode down it once and rode the brakes the whole way down due to the rough pavement. This is one area where toe clips on a bike rule as you use both the front and back side of the HUGE muscles in your thighs for power and without pulling up on the pedals with toeclips it would suck.
Only tried riding a bike in this area (Middle Tennessee) one time. Fresh into Nashville, just turned 20, I was fortunate to make a number of new friends right away. One family with a couple of girls, bracketing me in age, took me home with them some weekends, to their farm near Brentwood. (This was before Brentwood became celebrity-cool.) I tried riding their balloon-tired, one-speed bike up their adjoining hill (more like a knob,really) and ended up pushing it to the top. The view from the top was most satisfying, though. Nevertheless, I walked back down, and vowed: no further hill-biking for me!

Now, I am not that fit. I have filled out since my 20's (more upper body labor mass and a dash more fat, but most of the added 20 pounds is healthy mass) and no longer regularly cycle and cycling means moving too fast to see what I am seeing and I would rather walk slowly and compose while I watch. Albeit, what was once upon a time a 1 hour walk is now a 4 hour affair with half of that spent in various states of squatting to get the right angle which is just as much worik and it yields photos.

I tried that squat thing on a couple of outings with my G2 lately. Don't plan to do much of it. Hard on creaky knees. < silly grin >

In short, I am 33 (almost 34) so while past my physical prime (it takes 2 or 3 days to adapt rather than 1 day), I still like to keep going. Last blood pressure check I had I was spot on (slightly on the good side) after 4 or 5 days of being ill. And since cardiac problems are in the family, I try to ensure I get decent cardio regulary.
Good. I am truly very glad to hear that you do that. Plus, one is emotionally happier with decent cardio-vascular function.

I know the main trail goes along the top of the canyon but I cannot remember if there was an easy access to the canyon as I always went down along the creek. If you do not mind wet feet and have a steady hand to hold in a few spots, then the creek is navigable by a healthy individual depending on your value of a healthy individual and your value of a steady hand.

I vaguely remember an easy-ish access at the end, but I honestly cannot be certain as I never took that route but on the way out.

I'll bet my nephew knows this place. He's been everywhere, walking, in Middle Tennessee, in his middle age, and before that rode his bicycle all over the Nashville and Brentwood and Franklin area from the age of 13 or so.

I know this, because on evening drives he takes me and his mother along roads that parallel--or even, still are--the roads he rode on as a youngster. He does this, reminiscing to his mother and me voluminously, throughout the drive.

PM me and I will hook you up with Google Earth screencaps so you can find it. But I prefer to not widely distribute others copyrighted data for copyright reasons.
Off to do that in just a minute. My nephew has a gps function in his new Sprint Cell Phone, additionally--or at least, something that functions with his GPS. He generally does GPS using his laptop.

My general list of priorities is:

Water, snack, water, shoot, water, shoot, water, eat, water, ....

Albeit, I write views before food as coffee for breakfast and use fast shutter speeds. ;))
And very sensible all this is, indeed! < she said, finishing up her cereal, after orange juice and earlier, coffee, in that order >
Oh, rofl!
Y'all knowed ah meant "s." fer "singular"! Eek!

No worries. I am still unure how much cocaine the local cops grabbed when they seize three furths of a point of cocaine and ran that past the editor of the local paper. 0.75 or 0.6 pounds? Or was it firths? Whatever, it was a deep southernism by someone who missed english class in high school.
We'll really never understand these wonderful, delightful people. Albeit, they are the descendants, no doubt, of people exactly like my own Tennessee ancestors. Unfortunately--or fortunately?--dialects are not hard-wired into the genetic code.
< show-offy smile >

<pleased smile and freely given hug>
< blissful relaxed sigh of satisfaction >

I am of the hugs over handshakes school as that marks community/family. But I stick with the sterile distancing handshape where professionalism warrants while feeling sleezy doing it ( I have hippy in me even if my parents are squares ;) ).
One loves hippies. In moderation. < mischievous grin >

Making a double meaning out of this: You will indeed do, Sean. < smile >

sweet dreams, (it is late here and post sunrise there)
Thank you. It's the beginning of my day. I've been going to sleep very early the previous evening and waking up on European time the next morning, ever since I discovered (or rather was pointed to) OPF. It's measurelessly exciting to me.

I hope you enjoy reading this reply when you next log on to OPF.

Mary

Bob Walters

Not quite

Sean DeMerchant said:

.......................Sean

I've never heard any Southerner use "y'alls in that way.

Actually "yalls" is plural possessive and is the correct Southern translation of "your", as in, "Is that red Chevrolet yall's new truck"? The implication here is that the truck belongs to a multi person group like a husband and wife, family, etc.

Although "y'all" or "you-all" is indeed plural, there are variations of plurality. In other words, contrary to what Hollywood Yankees would have you believe, a Southerner never says "y'all" when meaning to refer to one person. The tricky part is that the word is quite often used when speaking to one person and I think that is what causes some confusion with the less educated folks of the world.

For example, I might say to my neighbor (who for purposes of this example is alone with me but our conversation is being monitored by a movie dialect expert), "Why don't y'all drop by the house Wednesday week?" Translated that means, why don't you and your wife, clan, immediate family, friend, or whoever (the exact meaning must be extracted from the conversation) come over to my place a week from next Wednesday.

If I mean for ONLY that person to come by, I would use the term "you".

We Southerners are fortunate. Our rich language provides for even more finely divided plurality than does the Yankee style of speech, and I think it's the term for which you may have been searching for in your post. That is what one might call the "super plural" form of "you".

For those occasions where we mean to include a whole host of people we use the term, "all y'all". That means all of you-all which would include the group to whom one may be speaking and their immediate family.

In other words, while "y'all" is plural, it usually means a small group, more often than not it means only two people like a husband and wife.

"All y'all" is used when speaking of greater numbers, especially when speaking to a group of people or a sub-set of that group.

Bob

Mary Bull

Bob, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this absolutely spot-on (to borrow a word from the Brits) analysis.

I found, as I read it, and searched my brain's database, that you have described precisely my own usage.

Mary