• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographing Pet Birds!

Leonardo, I moved this lovely bird from the Rainer B&W thread. It deserves its own place!

lora.jpg

I'm out of subject here, but this is the only photo I could take after a very short family trip to Nicaragua, he or she (difficult to know with this birds) is my mothers pet and was very suspicious of me.

So take it just as a postcard from central america ... and lets go back to blurry art..
leonardobarreto.com

Mary Bull

Leonardo, thank you very much.

This parrot speaks to me. (no pun intended)

OT to "photographing pet birds":
I liked your sharp, in more ways than one, image of the night before an anticipated battle very much.

I have an uncle who in WWII saw fire in the Battle of the Bulge.These days, the soldiers who are on the "front line" are always in the back of my head.

Interacting with my own pets helps to keep me sane.

And one of them is as suspicious and cantankerous as your mother's parrot!

Mary

Don Lashier

Birds ought to be fertile ground for photography. Unfortunately I do not have a bird (well a couple of stuffed ones I bought in El Salvador (where parrots fly by your window)).

- DL

Hi Mary, it is interesting how you begin to know people here and have a life based on a display and keyboard. So I guess this is "The Future", we take daguerreotypes that "develop" magically in our devices that we can transmit in seconds to England or Japan for people to see. There was always an insatiable need to "consume" images. I remember reading -- dates may be wrong-- that chemical capture (not the camara obscura type) was invented in the 1840's and by 1860's the whole world had been photographed. Politics changed when presidents where presented to voters in posters made with the "pencil of nature". The look of wars changed so much from the napoleonic soldier with a sword and fantastic landscape in the background to the monochrome devastated muddy field peppered with canon balls and dead soldiers of the first "modern" wars documented by the first war correspondents.

I think that a good topic for this forums may be to debate on the effect on the world that this new change in photography mad do.

Is there something we couldn't do in film era that digital permits us to?

Anyway, thank you for your kind review of my image of soldiers before the battle that did't take place -- luckily --. I will be 50 in April, and happy to have lived what I think are a series of different lives, -- as if we re incarnate every 5 or 10 years -- so when I post and you talk about this earlier life, I see it so remote and ask my self: what was the purpose of that? why where we ready to do what the officer demanded and face the the bullet.. but I guess it was the wright thing to do at the time, probably your uncle believed that at the Battle of the Bulge.

ok, as the say in japan Yoroshikuonegaitashimasu (please to meet you)

Mary Bull said:
Leonardo, thank you very much.

This parrot speaks to me. (no pun intended)

OT to "photographing pet birds":
I liked your sharp, in more ways than one, image of the night before an anticipated battle very much.

I have an uncle who in WWII saw fire in the Battle of the Bulge.These days, the soldiers who are on the "front line" are always in the back of my head.

Interacting with my own pets helps to keep me sane.

And one of them is as suspicious and cantankerous as your mother's parrot!

Mary

Mary Bull

Worth a new thread?

Leonardo, will you start a new thread for discussing how digital imaging and almost instantaneous electronic transmission are changing how we know one another and how we present ourselves to one another?

I am intrigued by the concept you have just given me, and I'd like to have a little more conversation with you about it, and perhaps it would interest other members here, too.

But we're almost out of sight in the Pet's Corner.

Maybe we could move over to the Layback Cafe.

Looking forward to meeting you there over a cup of virtual coffee after a bit.

Mucho gusto en conocerle, también. < happy smile >

Mary

I think that the topic is worth a thread, but I'm traveling again and I don't know if I could follow at the moment. It would be interesting to start the discussion with the impact that chemical photography had on the world, after all now we are at the end of the era that could be (1984-2010). For example, a direct result of photography was the end of miniature portraiture. Do we have an industry that is closing as a direct result of digital capture ?

With chemical photography we discovered that horses had all hoofs in the air at one time, has digital photography enabled similar discoveries? .. probably in the exploration of space.

I imagine that journalism is doing things digitally that could not have been possible in the past...

Artistic perceptions where changed with the first daguerreotypes. Apparently Corot (jean-baptiste camille)

d35042c.jpg

corot35.JPG

1864 Memory of Lake Nemi, Italy

began painting leafs in trees as if "blured" by slow shutter exposures to film....

(mabe Asher will move us to the proper place and others have something to say, -- the best conversations start at the most obscure parts of rooms --

abrazos,

Mary Bull

This is so true, about where the best conversations begin.

Since you're traveling, perhaps I'll PM Asher about it.

Already I love what you've said in this post, as well as the last one. I think they should be moved, to begin the new thread.

I feel so very engaged with your thoughts right now.

Thank you for the beautiful Corot image that you sent to illustrate your point.

Mary