• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop CS2 crashes on save

Alain Briot

pro member
Photoshop CS 2 crashes each time I try to save a file. I am running it on a Mac G5 under OS 10.4. I tried re-installing both CS 2 and OS X but to no avail. Clearly, this is a major pain. If anyone has insights, or better knows the inside workings of OS X, your help is greatly appreciated. My feeling is that there is a preferences or settings file somewhere in there that needs to be deleted. The question is which one.

I am not saving to a server. I am saving to the computer I am working on.

Thank you.

Alain

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sorry this visited tou too, Alian!

For me, removing half my purchased non-Apple RAM has solved most of the issues with PS2.

However, PS2 won't open an image that is clicked on, one has to actually open the image from withing PS.

Also, removing chains of firewire drives is important since that corrupts everything.

I aways start with repairing permissions and alternate between two boot drives so I can repair the drives themselves, once every 3-4 days, in the Apple Disk utility.

I believe that there is complex of problems here and high up on the list is the need for matched perfect RAM. Apple seems to be way superior.

I'm running better now with 2G RAM than with 6GB a short while ago!

I intend to invest in genuine Apple RAM/ go the the Apple Geniuses with the problem. At least for now, I have zero kernel panics and photoshop dosn't freeze on opening (but iview does!).

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
I finally fixed the problem. Gardening, a night of rest, and help from people on the forum did the trick. Here is the solution. It worked for me, it should work for you if you have a similar problem:

1-Do a search in the Mac finder for "Adobe". This will return thousands of file names. Only look at those which were modified "today", or the last time you tried to open Photoshop

2- Out of all the search results I found these that looked like good candidates and were last modified "today":

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp
com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist
com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

3- I dragged them from the search result window to the trash and emptied the trash. Just in case here is the exact path for these files:

User name>Library>Preferences>

In this folder delete:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp
com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist
com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

That's all folks. It fixed the problem for me. Now Photoshop can save my files.

Highly recommended!

Alain

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for reporting the solution Alain: a great post! I will now try that with iviewmedia Pro which does exactlly the same thing: crashes on start up.

Asher