• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The Girl and Her Hat

Charlotte Thompson

This is a love hate sequence I caught with Peyton and her hat- She had leaves in her hair and hat from outside-light was a bit poor-overcast and cold- I hope you enjoy-

DSC_0285.jpg

I dunno bout this hat

DSC_0288-1.jpg

I love this hat

DSC_0290.jpg

This hat is comin' off

DSC_0294.jpg

YES! High five people! satisfaction

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Allow me to explode - just a tad!

DSC_0294.jpg

Charlotte,

These B&W pictures are strained and why? This 4th picture, for example, has no information at all from the center of the grayscale distribution where there should be representations of lighter tones! Also the hair seems to have suffered something really bad from the software! Or am I mistaken and this is simply very much under-exposed and there is insufficient good data to describe here hair detail?

Charlotte_DSC_0294_Levels.png

You could be arrested and put in the Tower of London for your crimes against the gray scale in this one picture alone! So is it just under-exposure or over processing?

Can we redo this? I'd love to see these in color, as one setup, in a small block of four pictures, each 200 pixels wide and set up 4x4 with a tiny bit of white space between them.

Then, you will have something special. In this case, I do long for color so much!

Asher

Paul Abbott

I like the first image, but the eyes don't look sharp to me. She has a lovely face and smile, I think you could've gotten a shot of her pose in the second and third shots, face on. Her face would've been nicely framed by her hat and mittens.

I bet you could get her to pose again for a shot like that, no? It would be well worth it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

I like to revisit! Trying on a new hat in a store or mom's clothes is a fun exploration even for adults. She is a delight here, expressing each moment with her face! So, I must commend you on photographing real life moments of joy. This is the job of grandparents and it spreads joy! It's almost like bottling jam for the winter from the sweetest fruit!

asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

thank you as always
I have sent them in color-and for some reason I am having a problem with the centering- dunno why-this has been happening- dunno

Paul
Thank you for coming back into my thread- I am working on different ways to show a subject as it moves- just learning really-hope I never stop the want of it-

DSC_0285-1.jpg

DSC_0288-2.jpg

DSC_0290-1.jpg

fahim mohammed

Charlotte, the child is simply gorgeous. I feel there seems to an issue with the focus ( auto? ) and
the tonality. The color one is also a little washed out for me.

beautiful child, beautiful moment, maybe she was moving.

I want to see a mind blowing photo of her by you..I know you are capable of that.

Best.

Charlotte Thompson

Paul

yes I am always taking pictures of Peyton-I love portrait work "candid" mostly she was moving a bit when I took these which may have been why the focus was a bit off or just me- thank you for your very nice reply! I will always be working on a better shot of her-to be sure*

Charlotte-

Fahim
you are too kind my friend-too kind!
I sent along 1 of my favorite shots of her I took in 2008- and to be sure I am always working for that really great one!
thank you so very much I appreciate what you see in my work-

DSC_0645-4.jpg

fahim mohammed

That Charlotte is a PEACH!!

Lovely and lovingly photographed. surrounded by such innocence and beauty, technique is insignificant.
All that matters is the moment, the look in the child's eye, the purity of thought that is what needs
to be captured.

And you have done that excellently here.

And Charlotte it is a privilege to know good people like yourself.

Regards.

Fahim
you are too kind my friend-too kind!
I sent along 1 of my favorite shots of her I took in 2008- and to be sure I am always working for that really great one!
thank you so very much I appreciate what you see in my work-

DSC_0645-4.jpg

Paul Abbott

A great and charming image, Charlotte. Her face and eyes are so engaging, nice one.

I took the liberty of cropping it to maybe give more impact to the image.

DSC_0645-4peytoncrop.jpg

Peyton - by Charlotte Thompsn

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim
and it is such a privilage to know such an artist as you and now a friend!
as I said I took this 2 years ago-I think in May or August 2008 and very engaged in sepia and I still love doing sepia work but haven't done it in a long time
it was in the moment" and that is what I love so much- that kind of capture in portrait work-
it is catching a delibrate self" so to speak-
thank you so very much- you know you encourage the monster" in me- and I am honored

Charlotte-

Paul

I like your crop- you know it took me a while to get "the crop" sometimes I don't let the shot breathe enough and sometimes maybe too much- it is such an art isn't it-
thank you ever so much for your time and inspiration-means mucho my friend!

Charlotte-

Paul Abbott

No worries, Charlotte. I'm happy you were OK with me cropping your image.

I know what you mean about cropping, but in this case her face and eyes have it. In your original my eyes did wander around the image slightly, whereas in the 1:1 crop I am more fully engaged in her lovely face, especially her eyes. No escape. :)

Charlotte Thompson

Paul

her "eyes" yes and I am always in her study- as much as I can be
thanks again!- the art of the crop takes much talent and ability- but I have really learned a lot at OPF

Charlotte-