• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Pentax Lens Roadmap

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not an expensive year, a smart year, Alvaro!

With environmental sealing and pentax lenses, this is perhaps a miraculous arrival to the current choices for serious photographers!

I am so impressed.

Asher

Don Lashier

I believe these are MF lenses? And not due til 2007 sometime, hopefully along with (finally) the digital 645, apparantly with an upgradeable sensor.

- DL

Kyle Nagel

They are actually for the DSLRs, I'm not sure about the 60-250 but the other two are supposedly part of the new USM series, I think they will only work on the new K10D initially until they release additional bodies that support USM lenses. That is what is so nice about the Pentax DSLRs is that they maintain back-wards compatibility with there old lenses with the newer bodies, so even though the K10D supports USM lenses it also supports DA, FA, F, KFA, KA, A, M, and Screw mount (with adapter). If you zoom in on the images and look at the gold band at the top it doesn't have the "645" that appears on the Medium Format lenses, so I'm pretty sure they are the DSLR mount they announced these same focal lengths for (at least they announced a 16-50mm 2.8 USM for the DSLRs), I also doubt they have a 16-50mm for a MF mount, that's a 9.5-30mm equivalent in 35mm.

Kyle

Don Lashier

Kyle Nagel said:
They are actually for the DSLRs, ...I also doubt they have a 16-50mm for a MF mount, that's a 9.5-30mm equivalent in 35mm.
Kyle

Of course - my mistake. I saw them on the same announcement page (on a link from LL MF forum) as the MF digital and without looking close thought they were related.

- DL

Alvaro Lopez

Asher Kelman said:
Not an expensive year, a smart year, Alvaro!

With environmental sealing and pentax lenses, this is perhaps a miraculous arrival to the current choices for serious photographers!

I am so impressed.

Asher

Smart, but my wallet's gonna be a Jenny Craig spokesperson come April.

I'm very impressed and excited. Between getting a new body in Oct/Nov and new lenses in March, Xmas is gonna be kinda dull this year.

Alvaro Lopez

Don Lashier said:
Of course - my mistake. I saw them on the same announcement page (on a link from LL MF forum) as the MF digital and without looking close thought they were related.

- DL

Don,

These lenses were modeled after the 645 lenses, so that might have contributed to your thoughts.

Alvaro Lopez

Kyle Nagel said:
They are actually for the DSLRs, I'm not sure about the 60-250 but the other two are supposedly part of the new USM series, I think they will only work on the new K10D initially until they release additional bodies that support USM lenses. That is what is so nice about the Pentax DSLRs is that they maintain back-wards compatibility with there old lenses with the newer bodies, so even though the K10D supports USM lenses it also supports DA, FA, F, KFA, KA, A, M, and Screw mount (with adapter). If you zoom in on the images and look at the gold band at the top it doesn't have the "645" that appears on the Medium Format lenses, so I'm pretty sure they are the DSLR mount they announced these same focal lengths for (at least they announced a 16-50mm 2.8 USM for the DSLRs), I also doubt they have a 16-50mm for a MF mount, that's a 9.5-30mm equivalent in 35mm.

Kyle

All 3 are supposed to be weathersealed & SSM. The three new lenses are also compatible with all *ist Series bodies and K series bodies although the SSM will only work on SSM bodies.

I'm 80% sure I want the 60-250 and leaning towards the 16-50 too. I can do without the 50-135 although I bet it'll be amazing.

Kyle Nagel

Recently came across this list for the K10D:

The top twenty key features of the camera:

10 megapixel APS-C CCD

22 bit analog to digital converter (This could be potentially useful in shadow areas.)

'PRIME' image processor (It's said to be built on 90nm production process and supports DDR2 RAM, the only SLR to do so.)

Shake reduction

Dust reduction / removal

Dust and weather resistant seals (Water resistant!!! This camera has no less than 72 seals! Even the optional battery grip is dust and weather resistant with 38 seals!)

11-point auto focues, 9 cross sensitive

Supersonic motor compatible (Pentax will be releasing supersonic direct-drive motor lenses at the end of this year.)

Hyper program

Sensitivity and shutter/aperture priority (These two exposure modes are unique to the K10D and have been requested by digital SLR owners for some years now. Sv (Sensitivity priority) mode is quite similar to Program exposure but provides faster access to sensitivity, just turn the rear dial to change. TAv (Shutter speed and Aperture priority) mode allows you to set the shutter speed and aperture manually and the camera will automatically select the correct sensitivity.)

Selectable RAW format (PEF / DNG) (The first DSLR to provide both the manufacturer specifed RAW format and the' standard' Adobe created DNG format.)

Dedicated RAW button (You can switch in and out of RAW+JPEG/JPEG modes for a single shot or continually.)

In-camera RAW development (Allows you to develop images shot as RAW to a JPEG with a wide range of selectable adjustments; size, compression, white balance, digital exposure compensation (+/-2 EV), tone, saturation, sharpness and contrast.)

Selectable program line

Flexible auto ISO (You can actually set the minimum and maximum ISO settings for the auto ISO mode!)

'Digital Preview' / White balance

Lithium-ion battery (Pentax's first. Previously they used AA batteries.)

Battery grip with SD / remote holder

Large 2.5" LCD with viewing angle.

And the rest... 16-segment metering (plus center weighted and spot), white balance fine tuning (looks a bit like Canon), multiple exposures, remote control from the rear (IR sensor) and SDHC (SD of 4 GB or greater) support.

Looks pretty sweet, Kyle