• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Homeless Project Photograph

Paul Abbott

This is Tony, he currently resides around the area of Old Street tube station, in east London.
He told me it was through the loss of both his mother and daughter to Cancer that caused his downfall into homelessness.
While we were talking to each other he was threatened with arrest for begging, and told to ‘move on’ by a community police officer. He told me this happens all the time. This time though, he was not arrested.
As with many homeless people this guy needs help with drink and drug abuse, he is an alcoholic and addicted to heroin. – It comes with the territory when your long-term homeless.

By the way, he is on the front cover of this weeks Big Issue magazine. Also, a 6×6 photograph of him is on its way to Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) at City Hall, courtesy of moi!

tonyhomelessportrait1of1600.jpg

Paul Abbott - Tony, A Homeless Portrait

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Thanks for sharing this, although it's tragic, it's important that photographers don't just allow light into their camera but also to hold up a lantern as to where we should pay attention. Thanks.

It is, BTW, an important photograph that moves one immediately. I hope you will do more to look into what's happening to these folk.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Paul

A touching portrait, made all the more valuable by your taking the time to spend with Tony.

I hope that Boris has enough compassion to listen and that your reminders help the process.

Mike

Charlotte Thompson

Very Very nice capture of "helplessness"
love candid portrait work and this is at its best!

it is true "We are the World"

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

Paul,

I can only join what Asher, Mike and Charlotte before me have written. Tony here looks a lot like an ex colleague of mine who used to live in London, I was taken back initially to be honest. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,