• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Two Takes

Erik DeBill

A friend turned me on to Strobist a few weeks ago and I've been intrigued with lighting since. Today my order from Adorama came in (just because the website says it's in stock doesn't mean it is), so I had to experiment a little.

two_takes-pad.jpg

Exact same exposure, just different light sources.

Don Lashier

Eric, I like the one on the right. But I'm confused - the article was a DIY so why did you have to wait for Adorama. Gaffers tape and black mat board is an old trick for spill control, but my Photoflex came with a grid in the kit.

- DL

Erik DeBill

Don Lashier said:
Eric, I like the one on the right. But I'm confused - the article was a DIY so why did you have to wait for Adorama. Gaffers tape and black mat board is an old trick for spill control, but my Photoflex came with a grid in the kit.

I wasn't just referring to the DIY macro studio, but the whole off camera lighting site. I've always stuck to nature photography before - believe it or not this was my first time to see gaffers tape, much less use it.

I didn't have anything but a camera and a hot-shoe flash, so I needed an assortment of items. I got impatient and bought enough cables to do PC-sync while waiting for delivery, but I waited for the package to arrive with my umbrella. Of course, with my impatience I now just need another flash (and possibly a hot-shoe to PC terminal adapter) and umbrella to have 2 lights.

The one on the left had my 580EX shooting into an umbrella at 1/4 power, which had enough spillover to light my surroundings. The one on the right was the same flash pointed directly at me at 1/128 power.

Today at work I got an extra surprise. When my package arrived yesterday (delayed because the light stand was backordered), one of the PC cords was missing and listed as backordered. Then today I got it in a separate package, in different packaging from the first. Very professional. Makes me wonder why everyone recommends Adorama, especially since I made sure nothing was listed as backordered before I placed my order (I'm impatient like that).