• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon & Rights Grab Competition - (Update)

Michael Brown

I was simply amazed when the news broke of this competition and with Nikon as a sponsor.
The outcry was very loud, and the submission rules have been changed.
A interesting read, and just goes to show that there are many competitions out there that have submission rules similar to this, ... never to be changed. Many competitions rely on the amateurs who simply do not know better, to fill their needs, ... and their image files.
At least they were smart enough to change this one!

First read:
UK Editorial - Nikon Rights Grab

Updated Rules:
Rule Change

Martin McLean

Hey Mike,

Glad to see you posting. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope that everything is going well with you and yours.

Thanks for posting. As a hard core Nikonian, I find Nikons response very disturbing. As if, because I don't make a full time living with my photography, my photos have no value.

If my amateur photos have no value to the photographic community or society as a whole, I am really sorry that I just spent $1600 on my new amateur camera.

You really hit a sore spot with me on the copyright thing. Will have to think this one through. I'll be very interested to see others thoughts are on this.

-M-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was going to join one of the free posting services on the web, unfortunately, I can't recall which and for some instinctual reason, I felt I had to read the fine print. It allowed unlimited rights to the service!

BTW, never transfer copyright. Only license for what people pay for.

Asher

Michael Brown

Yep, ........... bet their in-box got full on this one!!

Hey Martin, good to hear from you ol' buddy!
Me? God have I been busy shooting over the past couple of months, which is a good thing.
Have not had much time to go into any forums, to mess with my blog, and because of the lack of time, I even stepped down as moderator over at NatureScapes. Just could not handle those moderator duties since I was rarely on line anymore, or only had time to glance at any forums.
Have been shooting for various clients/buyers which has me happy, but mainly has my other half a whole lot happier!!!

Will get into these forums here at OPF a little more often now, as it most certainly is a wonderful place to come to.

Do take care, and will holler your way later!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The BBC does the same thing with their photo competition and they have not backed down. Infact you lose all rights to your image including technically the right to sell your own image!

Michael Brown

Yes Ben, I guess the BBC is also one of those big sponsors who counts on those who do not know any better, those who will do anything to win a prize, and to gain a little notoriety for their efforts while the main sponsor of the competition reaps all the benefits from it.
Only a few submitters actually gets something out of it, while the rest gets the shaft!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael Brown said:
Yep, ........... bet their in-box got full on this one!!

Hey Martin, good to hear from you ol' buddy!
Me? ..........Have not had much time to go into any forums, to mess with my blog, and because of the lack of time, I even stepped down as moderator over at NatureScapes.

Will get into these forums here at OPF a little more often now, as it most certainly is a wonderful place to come to.
Michael, we're so happy you are here. Feel free to drop me a note for any feedback/ideas. No spell check nor full sentences needed!

Hope you enjoy it here!

On the BBC, they make their own moral rules according to their particular needs and political views! Still, stealing is stealing and even that British stiff upper lip and perfect accent does not cover it up.

Asher :)

Michael Brown

Thanks Asher, glad to be here ........ and I'm really happy that no spell checker is needed!
No spell checker needed = Very cool!

Martin McLean

Mike,

When you have some time I'd love to see a post or two on what you have been up to, as far as shooting for clients/buyers. I know you have been making some sells with your fine art photographs. Maybe some tips and hints for what's working for you. Share the wealth.

Michael Brown

Martin McLean said:
Mike,

When you have some time I'd love to see a post or two on what you have been up to, as far as shooting for clients/buyers. I know you have been making some sells with your fine art photographs. Maybe some tips and hints for what's working for you. Share the wealth.

Three words. "Fine Art Macros"

Give me some time to get some things finished, and maybe I can write something up.
I am planning on taking some time off here soon, ( I desperately need it - so tired of deadlines!), and I will be thinking of what I can say.
As I told Asher, I'm really not a writer. I just talk a lot!

Martin McLean

So not true Michael. You have a very emgaging writing style. I will say it again. I really think you should write a book or at least make a DVD. Maybe write a book with a DVD inside. Sell your style of photography. Look how many people found your photoblog. It was not just about the photos you posted. It was about the way you wrote about them. It was about your style. It was about you.

You could be a franchise, man!

-M-

Michael Brown

Well, .................. thanks Martin!
That certainly brought a smile to my face.

Actually, I have been kicking around a book idea with a certain publishing company, but not a "how to" book.
It is something that (as far as we can tell), has never been done before, ..... at least with macro type images.
If the idea takes hold it will still be awhile, as the images needed will take some time because of my nit picking with the style of images that I like to create. LoL!
I can say that it will be based on my "In Their World" series.

Just about done editing some stuff, so let me run.

Take care ol' buddy, and will holler your way tomorrow.

Mike