• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

24mm for 5D

Carl Schofield

I need a 24mm wide for my 5D. How good is the 24mm end of the 24-105 zoom compared to either the 1.4L prime or even the inexpensive EF 2.8? Viginetting, corner sharpness, and CA are all concerns. I guess the 17-40 would be another candidtae, but I don't need anything much wider than 24mm.

Søren Andersen

Corner sharpness is quite good on my copy. Vignetting is really pronounced though. It also distorts pretty bad. I fix both with PTLENS, but I do prefer to use my 16-35/2.8L for 24mm. The 17-40 should be just as good.

Stan Jirman

I have the 24L and 24-105L, and while I don't use a 5D I think the 1Ds(2) has similar issues. When comparing these lenses you have to keep in mind that "wide open" for one is 1.4 and for the other 4.0. If you take the 24L and shoot it at f4, you will get no vignetting and perfect corner sharpness; however, few people will buy the 24L to shoot it at f4. At least I bought it for use as street / night lens, and use it exclusively between 1.4 and 2.0.

The 24-105L zoom is amazing and I love it. It has bumped my 24-70L zoom to indoor use only, as it allows the camera faster & more accurate AF; whenever I am going for a walk with the family or need to shoot "general stuff" outdoors during the day, the 24-105L gets the nod (or the 28-300L, depending on many factors).

You can see some samples (100% 1Ds) of my 24L at various fstops here:
http://dpr.jirman.com/24L/

Comparing to other lenses, the 24L TS-E is much more even and more free of all "evil" kinks than any other lens, but it's not as sharp as many would like it to be. But distortions of all kinds are well controlled.

In my personal experience, the 17-40L is good (and better than the 16-35L in vignetting and sharpness), but inferior to the 24-70L in every respect at every overlapping focal length. That's based on a measurebating shoot out of two 16-35L, two 24-70L, and two 17-40L lenses (and some others =)).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have the 24-105L and agree it is sharp and fast.

If you can accept 28mm and manual focus, The Zeiss MM 2.8 Distagon is a wonderful must-have lens. The color and contrast are exceptional. Interestingly, the plane of focus has been described to have some peripheral closer focus which makes it special for landscape.

It is so inexpensive that this lens must be, after the Canon EF 2.5mm macro, one of the single best lens bargains available.

Asher

Tim Rogers

Hey Asher

...A Zeis 28/2.8 Distagon just sold on Ebay for $285. Those things really are affordable! How much would an EOS adapter cost?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Depends!

Cameraquest about $175, less from ebay anout $80.

Check on FM forums.

I'll revisit the issue if you are stuck1

Asher

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Interesting idea that I had not considered. But we have to remember that being a "manual" lens, if we stop down at all, we darken the viewfinder during focus and composition. Then again it is a 2.8 to start.

You have got me thinking :>) ...exactly the point of the forum! Thanks..

Tim Rogers

I bought a Zeiss 28/2.8 !

Asher Kelman said:
Depends!

Cameraquest about $175, less from ebay anout $80.

Check on FM forums.

I'll revisit the issue if you are stuck1

Asher

...You sparked my interest in that lens, Asher, and I started googling the bejesus out of it and eventually decided that I really wanted one. I just bought one on Ebay for $195 and it should be on my doorstep via UPS in 3 days. I also won another auction for an Elefoto C/Y to EOS adapter for $74 and it should be arriving early next week as well. Finally, after all these years, I can start learning to enjoy manual focusing all over again..........lol

........Seriously, I expect to use this Distagon lens for landscapes, group portraits and anything else that reguires something wider than the 50 mm lens that I have been using on my 5D.

Roger Lambert

Stan Jirman said:
...The 24-105L zoom is amazing and I love it. It has bumped my 24-70L zoom to indoor use only, as it allows the camera faster & more accurate AF

That is really interesting, that the f4.0 lens has better AF accuracy than the f2.8 24-70. ( Theoretically, the f2.8 lens is supposed to allow a more accurate focusing tolerance).

I wonder how they managed that, and what miracles await us in the future? Are we seeing the remarkable fruit of computerized lens design/manufacturing as Canon appears to be manufacturing some very sharp new lenses indeed?

Stan Jirman

That's not what I said, or at least meant to say. Sorry, English is my 5th language =)

I meant to say that the 24-70/2.8 has more accurate AF indoors because it allows the camera to use the cross sensors.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The focus speed indoors or in poor light is noticeably better with the 24-70L, that together with the far better vignetting (almost gone by 28mm) and distortion, as well as the f2.8 that I'm using a lot more for DOF control, it the reason why the 24-105L didn't last more than 2 weeks for me before I went back to the 24-70L.

Roger Lambert

Stan Jirman said:
That's not what I said, or at least meant to say. Sorry, English is my 5th language =)

I meant to say that the 24-70/2.8 has more accurate AF indoors because it allows the camera to use the cross sensors.

No doubt it was my misreading, Stan. English is my first and nearly only, language, and I can barely keep it on a leash.

While I'm a tad disapointed there is no hypertechnical wizardry in the new lens, I am happy to hear someone else likes their 24-70 as much as I like mine.:)