View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Being French you have a deep understanding of these great men. I look at it all from my close experience as a physician with the multiple ethnic groups in the UK, close observation of Yoruba, Ibo and Fulani people in Nigeria, Mashona in Sindebele in Zimbabwe, Xhosa and Zulus in South Africa, Mexicans and other South Americans, Native Americans and more. In common children and adults share the same welcoming view and even substantial trust of strangers unless taught otherwise by direct experience or effective indoctrination.
I don't doubt that this was your personal experience. On one hand, you should of course consider that, in ethnology, the observer influences the facts: probably the same people would not act quite in the same manner with someone with the social status of a physician and with someone from the tribe next door. On the other hand, and even if I appear almost nihilist at times, I have faith in humanity and I know that the majority of humans and especially children have a welcoming view of strangers and are generally hospitable.

Quote:
As part of a 10 member family of pious Jews raised in an Antisemetic neighberhood in London, I have first hand experience of the type of feeling of isolation and exclusion that racism can have on an entire ethnic community. I went to school under police guard. My young brother struggled home, dazed, with much of the bare white bone of his jaw exposed, dripping blood all around it, after one such attack. Then we had the connection and publications of Zionism which inspired and connected us to a dream of a better life. Much of my family left the prejudice behind by moving to Israel. I came to the USA. As a consequence, my children and grandchildren have had no experience of disrespect towards them for being Jewish. So I appreciate the pressures on Muslims marginalized in Paris communities, feeling isolated and wretchedly excluded from the better life. They are my child hood and youth I left behind in Europe!
I understood that part of your youth from other posts in this forum. I really feel sorry that you had to live under those conditions.

Quote:
So I understand what it must be to live in zones in Paris that even police resist entering where the constitution of France is not cherished and videos of fanatic preachers are circulated.
I think that the situation is noticeably different to what you lived in London. The north African minorities in France appear to have a completely different organisation than the Jewish minorities had in London. For the external observer that I am, the Jewish minorities of your time seem more similar to the Asian groups living today in France. These live in groups who try to blend in, respect the law, raise their children to be successful at school and basically do not cause any other trouble than being clustered at some places.

Quote:
In that atmosphere, it's quite natural for French youth from such "mini-Caliphates" to be inspired by ISIS. the rest is a natural consequence. A few of the most hurt, angry and ambitious decide to pin their future on the glorious rebirth of Islam as a power to be respected............and importantly, feared with dread and constant apprehension.
First: ISIS or, more specifically, violent Salafism, does not come from within France. It is a religious-political creation with a mission to destabilise the West. This was completely absent in your youth: you did not have a religious-political organisation with a mission to create a greater Jerusalem in London.

Second: only a small number of people fall for the calls of ISIS. They are not necessarily very religious nor do they appear, on average, to have suffered trauma or repression. My feeling, from what is published on the subject, is rather that they come from a background of petty crime but did not manage to make it big. Don't forget that North Africa is the main source of marijuana for Europe and the youth of these zones have right under their eyes the examples of others who drive the latest BMW.

Quote:
..........and this is not just an Islamic characteristic. The dreaded Crusades were also considered a religious duty and fulfillment of dreams by the Knights.
Certainly, but Europe has managed to do much worse in more recent times. Thirty Years' War managed to reduce the European population by about 50%, not even Rwanda or the Khmer Rouge managed as much.