Thread: Light This! Ask for help on lighting a particular subject. Wedding
View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Banned

Oh, how I know this from both ends.
As a friend of the family I like to let the pro do his/her job. And yes, its bloody hard work, and stressful if there's a chance he'll have to make allowances for a friend of the family. This is his living and reputation on the line, not yours. This isn't even a testing ground for you to feel your way for the future.
This is how it can best work. Tell the bride/groom you will happily take photos on the day but they will be from the guests perspective; the sort of casual, informal shots that the pro can't get.
Then, make sure the pro knows this. If he's any sort of a bloke he may even let you in from time to time, although, once introduced his mind will be elsewhere.
I'd also be inclined to keep low key with the flash, which could interfer with the pro. Also keep low key with the camera. Something a little less conspicuous. Be a guest. Take the happy snaps. Otherwise you'll just appear as some old fart with a flash camera trying to make the big time too late in life and annoying the guests, photographer and small children who want nothing to do with you šause their mother said so.
When a relative asks me to take some shots at a wedding I politely tell them I'll be too pissed to do so. When I was the pro, conditions where pre-determined with the bride. A pro can manage the guests with their point and presses. Thats their job. Step in once to rearrange things and he'll have a not so quiet word with you. Don't spoil anyone's day.

If nothing else works, go for Chris's advise. Its blunt and to the point. I like that. I might add a few expletives to the demand as well.