View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
The images cannot be snapshots. They have to be of a quality one would expect to be able to sell or show in a gallery.
Well, that appears to exclude all but the professionals! I've raised the question "what is a snapshot?" in a seperate post, but I honestly have no idea whether I could sell or display any of my thousands of landscape photos.

However, with Asher's permission, I will strike a blow for the amateur.

Ten or twenty years ago, before my knees were shot, I used to spend all day in the hills, often returning as the sun was setting behind the mountains. Here are three random examples of photos (dare I call them snapshots?) taken in failing light. All are pre-digital and taken with an easy-to-carry 35mm camera.

The first one is of Innominate Tarn on Haystacks, where the author Alfred Wainwright requested that his ahes be scattered.
All I ask for, at the end, is a last long resting place by the side of Innominate Tarn on Haystacks, where the water gently laps the gravely shore and the heath blooms and Pillar and Gable keep unfailing watch.
A quiet place, a lonely place, I shall go to it for the last time and be carried: someone who knew me in life will take me and empty me out of a little box and leave me there alone.
And if you dear reader, should get a bit of grit in your boot as you are crossing Haystacks in the years to come, please treat it with respect. It might be me!

Innominate Tarn, October 30th 1988
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second is looking along Derwentwater. It was bitterly cold, already freezing, but with enough light left to see the last rowing boat heading for shore.

Derwentwater, November 2nd 1988
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The third is also of Derwentwater. We had run the last mile to catch the last ferry across the lake and save ourselves another 6 miles on foot. As I struggled up the shore away from the boat I realised everyone was looking behind me......

Derwentwater, November 6th 1994
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Stuart